To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been riding off and on since 1981. Nowadays with heavy traffic everywhere and people driving distracted I don't feel quite as confident as before. I had someone a couple months ago do a u-turn in front of me. Thank God he didn't see me and slam on brakes or I would have hit him. There was no way to avoid that one IMO.

I've only ridden motorcycles a couple of times. Of all the things I've ever experienced, I have to say nothing compares to the feeling of freedom on a motorcycle. That said, I also feel a great deal of vulnerability to danger on them. So, I've substituted Jeeps, sometimes with no doors. I know that's probably not the safest way to go, either, but it certainly feels safer. Still, even the doorless Jeep falls short of the thrill of a motorcycle.

My brother had a nice BMW touring bike and was on a trip with friends to the Tail of the Dragon. On the way there, he fell asleep while driving. He woke riding in the grass in the median, bouncing all over the place. He regained control with very gentle inputs, got back on the road, pulled into a gas station, and told his friends he was heading home. He quickly sold the bike and bought a fishing boat, where he frequently falls asleep with a beer in his hand and much less danger to worry about.

I can't say I blame him or anyone else for giving it up. On the other hand, I can't blame anyone for wanting the thrill and joy of riding, either.

I am simply stating what Indyfan said above. If you are falling asleep on a motorcycle, scared a car is going to hit you, scared you are going to wreck, etc. sell it and do something else.

Fear is a very bad thing on 2 wheels. Run a car off the road a bit looking at your cell phone, usually no big deal. Do that on a motorcycle and you are probably dead if you are in the wrong area.

Originally Posted by JPowell490
I am a bit late to this thread, it here is my take. I have been riding for 41 years, I am 44 now. Yes, I count all the years in dirt bikes as well. I have never been in a wreck on a street motorcycle and I have been riding the streets since I was 14 and riding to school on a DR Suzuki.

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

You sound like the textbook definition of a squid.

Riding a motorcycle is not dangerous at all. If you are constantly on the lookout, behind you when you are riding and stopping, in front of you, to the sides, etc. No car of other vehicle will hit you.

Absolutely delusional.

If you have it in your mind that "everyone will wreck at some point", you have already succumbed to that thought, and yes you will wreck. You just chucked all your confidence out of the window.

I get pulled out on, stopped in front of, vehicles trying to tbone me at a red light trying to beat the yellow, almost daily. Yo known why that's never happened to me? I ALWAYS, look both ways before I go at a light. I ALWAYS look all around me at all times.

I also ride one of the fastest bikes ever built. A Kawasaki Ninja zx12r. Do I ride it like I am at the Isle of Man TT? No, I don't. Do I like to cruise in a straight line at 140 for a short while on a barren interstate? Yes I do. I don't ride the twisties trying to prove I am better than the guy behind me. Why don't I?

So...you're the guy duck-walking around corners and whizzing down straights 50MPH over the limit? Yeah, definiitely a squidiot.

I love my bike and I cherish it. I would never push it to the edge of cornering and possibly wind up on the pavement.... It would crush me to be that stupid.

Don't buy or ride any motorcycle if you fear it before you get on it. It isn't for you.

OP, sell your bikes and enjoy your wife. Your times up.

What a steaming turd.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I am a bit late to this thread, it here is my take. I have been riding for 41 years, I am 44 now. Yes, I count all the years in dirt bikes as well. I have never been in a wreck on a street motorcycle and I have been riding the streets since I was 14 and riding to school on a DR Suzuki.

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

You sound like the textbook definition of a squid.

Riding a motorcycle is not dangerous at all. If you are constantly on the lookout, behind you when you are riding and stopping, in front of you, to the sides, etc. No car of other vehicle will hit you.

Absolutely delusional.

If you have it in your mind that "everyone will wreck at some point", you have already succumbed to that thought, and yes you will wreck. You just chucked all your confidence out of the window.

I get pulled out on, stopped in front of, vehicles trying to tbone me at a red light trying to beat the yellow, almost daily. Yo known why that's never happened to me? I ALWAYS, look both ways before I go at a light. I ALWAYS look all around me at all times.

I also ride one of the fastest bikes ever built. A Kawasaki Ninja zx12r. Do I ride it like I am at the Isle of Man TT? No, I don't. Do I like to cruise in a straight line at 140 for a short while on a barren interstate? Yes I do. I don't ride the twisties trying to prove I am better than the guy behind me. Why don't I?

So...you're the guy duck-walking around corners and whizzing down straights 50MPH over the limit? Yeah, definiitely a squidiot.

I love my bike and I cherish it. I would never push it to the edge of cornering and possibly wind up on the pavement.... It would crush me to be that stupid.

Don't buy or ride any motorcycle if you fear it before you get on it. It isn't for you.

What a steaming turd.

Well said, and with more patience that I have to correct the erroneous statements he made. I found especially hilarious the one he said about you're 100% safe if you just have good situational awareness in traffic.

Yep, like most things in life you have little or no control over things going on around you. All you can do it try and react the best you can in a bad situation caused by others. Having great riding skills helps, but it's not always going to save you if there's no time to react ... those are very bad situations that hopefully nobody gets into.

I sold my bike a week ago as I'm no longer willing to risk my life in traffic. The final straw was one of my kid's 19-year-old cousins was killed when an old lady turn in front of him. A friend getting knocked of his bike and run over a couple years ago also was a factor.

I loved riding...but now realize that because I loved riding, I have to give it up.

IIRC you had a motorcycle accident a year or so ago, quit riding for a while, then bought a Harley. So you're quitting riding again?

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by bigal51
"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

Congratulations on confirming yourself to be a poser. Only people I *ever* hear call other brands "metrics" are the poser crowd. Maybe go put your doo rag on and stand at a mirror admiring how harsh you're going to look out on the streets.

I don't get why everyone who rides a Harley dresses like a pirate...talk about a poser...

Clearly the people who make fun of Harley "people" have some kind of inferiority complex.
They always seems to knock, discount, make fun of and generalize about Harley riders ... amazing ... people who have to comment negatively about other peoples "treasures" usually are not very happy with their lives.

And the Harley guys who wouldn't let non-Harley owners ride with them don't have a complex?

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever the shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

What are the fastest street bikes?

Originally Posted by gman2304
I loved riding...but now realize that because I loved riding, I have to give it up.

IIRC you had a motorcycle accident a year or so ago, quit riding for a while, then bought a Harley. So you're quitting riding again?

No, I never quit riding. I should have burned the bridge-get rid of all my MC gear, have the M taken off my license, and move someplace with no garage. I'm sure it's the wrong thing to do, but so is keeping the bike.

I took a small step to the safety side last week and picked up a new Spyder. Still have my H-D bagger, but the 3 wheeler is getting most of the attention. It's a blast
smile.gif
[Linked Image]

Man, that's a pile of good reasons to quit. At the heart of it all, though, it just sounds like the joy has left it for you. Lacking the joy, it's just risk and hassle. You didn't mention how old you are, but if you sell the bike and after the passage of time the bug to ride comes back- there's going to be a bike out there for you. Good luck. Who knows? maybe something else will take the place of motorcycle riding.

"When all the joy is gone, all that's left is the risk and hassle ". That is what happened with me. No big wreck or anything, the joy just evaporated. From age 13 until 62, I always had a bike or three. Plenty of riding buddies and places to ride. But around age 60, the joy was leaving. I began grumbling about the little hardships you go through to stay in the game. Cobwebs began to form on the bike between rides. One day it dawned on me that I had enjoyed a long and mostly safe riding career and that if I never rode again I'd still die happy. Sold the bike to a buddy, craigslisted the gear, bike lift, special tools, etc.. Cleaned it all out. Only thing I kept was my M endorsement. And you know what? Life has been fine. I know that if I change my mind I can always jump back in. But so far I've not been tempted. If the joy has gone away, there's no point staying in it. There's a million other hobbies out there to take up ones time and money and motorcycles will always be around if you change your mind.

Originally Posted by johnsnowkornar

I have also, never worn protective gear. I might wear a textile jacket or a leather jacket depending on the weather, or if I need pickets for cell phone etc. My riding gear in the summer consists of a t-shirt, jeans, and whatever the shoes I have lying around. I wear the best helmet in the business, a full face Arai Corsair X.

What are the fastest street bikes?

I don't doubt the truth or the depth of belief of a word of your post. But having said that, you've discounted the extent to which you've been enormously lucky and replaced it with a belief that you're infallible. The last thing I want to do is jinx you. I don't always ATGATT, but like you I always wear a helmet. And I practice "separation" like it's a religion. I've had one serious crash, not life threatening but a sporting number of broken bones, over maybe 250,000 miles of riding.

I used to fly airplanes, and when that got too expensive I took up motorcycles. I don't care for cruisers. I ride sport-touring, sport, and streetfighter bikes. Like airplanes need to be flown, bikes need to be ridden. Both deteriorate and become unreliable and unsafe when unused, and pilots and riders alike become unsafe when they don't practice the skill. So ultimately, I can't dispute the value of your advice to the original poster. But that aside- stay confident brother but keep practicing what you preach too!

When you really think about motorcycle wrecks, you hear about it more when it happens because it only happens rarely. Car accidents, Bus and truck accidents happen so often unless it ties up a major road, or causes a spectacular fire you don't even hear about them. More people are killed in a years time driving or riding in cars, then on motorcycles. Cars give that false sense of security that make people think nothing will happen to them in a wreck. Almost everyone knows of a friend or family member that has died in a car wreck. If riding a bike scares you to a point where you would panic, instead of thinking and acting quickly to avoid a wreck, then don't ride. You can't control what other drivers are going to do whether it's in a car or motorcycle. Either way it's a gamble.,,,

When we lived here in Lake Havasu the first time, (1991-1997), I had a garage full of bikes. It's an absolutely beautiful place to ride. When we moved to Phoenix in 1997 I sold them all. I wasn't happy about doing it, but the roads there are like most in major metropolitan areas...... Crowded and full of crazies who don't pay attention, and have a reaction time somewhere around next week. Every time I started to miss riding, there would be a story on the news about some kid or couple getting smeared all over the road on one. Or else a motorcycle cop.

Now that I'm retired, and we've moved back here, I do think about getting another one. But I'm older and think about injuries more. There is also much more texting going on today than back in the 90's which turns me off as well. Rear end accidents are much more common. Not to mention new cars have so many features that distract the drivers attention, as compared to 20 years ago.

So the whole thing becomes a, "risk vs. reward" thing. I guess when you add everything all up, it's just not there for me any more. I think if I was to get something to enjoy along those lines, I would get another boat. Nothing too big, but something that I, and the wife and dog could get out on the lake during the week and enjoy. When all of the California weekenders are gone.

But even that turns me off in regards to the cleaning, maintenance, and upkeep. So for now I'll stick with shooting. Gun cleaning is relatively quick and easy. No batteries to go dead, oil or spark plugs to change. And they're a lot smaller and faster to wipe down and keep clean. I'll admit, a lot of it is laziness from old age beginning to rear it's ugly head. That, along with the fact I worked hard enough just getting us here!

Originally Posted by troop
I took a small step to the safety side last week and picked up a new Spyder. Still have my H-D bagger, but the 3 wheeler is getting most of the attention. It's a blast
smile.gif
[Linked Image]

How is the Spyder safer that a two wheeler other than it wont fall over at a stop sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back