To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people dress like pirates some don't. My neighbor is a retired Physician and has a 2017 Harley dresser it is a beautiful bike. He doesn't dress like a pirate of have tats.

OP here. So, I still have the Moto Guzzi. Never formally advertised it. Have ridden three times total since posting this, maybe four. Ran really sweet every time. Suppose it'll live in the heated garage another off-season, and I'll formally advertise it next Spring. Which means I've got fluid changes coming up next month to get it ready for winter. One thing I'm going to do next Spring before advertising is trailer it a few hours to the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer and get the 2nd service done, due at 6250 miles, 5000 on the clock now. Always nice to show a fresh dealer service receipt to potential buyers.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by troop
I took a small step to the safety side last week and picked up a new Spyder. Still have my H-D bagger, but the 3 wheeler is getting most of the attention. It's a blast
smile.gif
[Linked Image]

How is the Spyder safer that a two wheeler other than it wont fall over at a stop sign?

My sister bought one after her last crash, still has it, and has bought another two-wheeled motorcycle and now has both.

As for safety It won't lowside or highside. But it's also less maneuverable than a traditional two-wheeled motorcycle.

I don't care for them, and would much rather have my agile Sportbikes. Maybe if I can't physically ride a two-wheeled motorcycle at some point, I'll consider one.

Lone,

Do what makes you happy buddy. If you don't enjoy riding anymore, then don't. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
"When all the joy is gone, all that's left is the risk and hassle ". That is what happened with me. No big wreck or anything, the joy just evaporated. From age 13 until 62, I always had a bike or three. Plenty of riding buddies and places to ride. But around age 60, the joy was leaving. I began grumbling about the little hardships you go through to stay in the game. Cobwebs began to form on the bike between rides. One day it dawned on me that I had enjoyed a long and mostly safe riding career and that if I never rode again I'd still die happy. Sold the bike to a buddy, craigslisted the gear, bike lift, special tools, etc.. Cleaned it all out. Only thing I kept was my M endorsement. And you know what? Life has been fine. I know that if I change my mind I can always jump back in. But so far I've not been tempted. If the joy has gone away, there's no point staying in it. There's a million other hobbies out there to take up ones time and money and motorcycles will always be around if you change your mind.

I kind of went through the same thing. I had run the gammut of bikes. I had everything from a Yamaha 60 mini enduro, to a Triumph Rocket III. I have no interest in owning any Harley, never have, in fact even talking about them makes my eyes glaze over. Might as well be talking about an arts and crafts show. So I just walked away from riding altogether. I will be replacing my need for speed (that I used to get on bikes) with a Corvette. I like the idea of having seat belts, A/C, and not getting wet when it rains...

Last edited:
Amen brother! We might be twin sons by different mothers, lol. Started on a Yamaha 80, finished on a DRZ 400SM, Super Motard. If it's not light, narrow and reasonably fast, I have no interest in it. Raced motocross in the 70s, hare scrambles in the 80s, did National Dual Sport series in the 90s, finishing up by gravel roading on the super moto. Then walked away. These days I wear out my hiking boots in the Nevada mountains. Climb to good overlook a smoke a big joint hahaha!

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Amen brother! We might be twin sons by different mothers, lol. Started on a Yamaha 80, finished on a DRZ 400SM, Super Motard. If it's not light, narrow and reasonably fast, I have no interest in it. Raced motocross in the 70s, hare scrambles in the 80s, did National Dual Sport series in the 90s, finishing up by gravel roading on the super moto. Then walked away. These days I wear out my hiking boots in the Nevada mountains. Climb to good overlook a smoke a big joint hahaha!

thumbsup2.gif

I'm 61 and have been riding minibikes, dirt bikes ATV's and Motorcycles since I was 10. Dumped my bike a few times from my own stupidity with only minor injuries until 1990. Had a flat bed pick up do an unexpected uturn in front of me. Totalled my Harley, smashed my knee, broke 4 ribs, injured my diaphragm, dislocated my left elbow, 7 stitches in my forehead and a severe concussion. Got a new bike before the cast was off...... Haven't had an accident on the street since that one because I became a super defensive rider. Had some close calls, but awareness has saved me.
My point is there are safer ways to ride and the risks are still there. Purchased a new BMW K1600b this year. I average about 8k miles per season and many more when I take long trips every couple years. I've owned over 30 different bikes and built 3 from the ground up.
Worst injury was in 2002, broke my neck riding an ATV. Was out of work for nearly 11 months learning to walk and use my hands again. I don't trail ride anymore. My son was killed in 2004 on his motorcycle. A woman driving in the wrong side of the road hit him head on and killed him, he was 21. People ask why I still ride... It's because I love it. I know the risks and so did my son. What it comes down to is doing what you love, feeling alive and being diligent to stay that way..... Ride on, be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back