To be Honest, Thinking of Selling Motorcycle and Quitting Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
LR, it's been proven Motorcycles can be dangerous, but also can cars, trucks, trains, motor homes, boats, airplanes,bicycles and pretty much anything mechanical that can propel you at speed. So whats your next plan? never leave the house?. Everyday there's a crash somewhere where a car load of people get killed or injured, but people will still say motorcycles are too dangerous. The only thing you can do is be alert and aware of the danger, and drive like your invisible to other vehicles. Don't expect anyone to see you, or give you the right of way. If you know and believe that, you will be expecting a dumb maneuver and it won't rattle you. That goes for any vehicle you drive. Choosing where you ride will make it enjoyable, just like when you first started riding. Search out back roads where everyone isn't late for where they're going, and not paying attention. You may just need a long solo, confidence building ride to get you in the groove again.,,,

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by bigal51
"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

Congratulations on confirming yourself to be a poser. Only people I *ever* hear call other brands "metrics" are the poser crowd. Maybe go put your doo rag on and stand at a mirror admiring how harsh you're going to look out on the streets.

As a former "metric rider" - I always wondered if there was ever anyone with more than a 26" inseam riding one of those cheese-head putt-putts.

It is your decision, and yes riding is dangerous and possibly getting more dangerous due to distractions and bad training.

you can mitigate some of the danger, wearing a good 1 piece armored riding suit, good helmet, gloves, boots. There are air bag vests too. Riding schools give you more tools avoid a crash. Reading and watching defensive driving instructional materials. There are lots of things, even simulators now

Bike choice and condition are important,some even have have leaning ABS and stability controls. Those bikes are not Harleys and some of them will not associate with you. You are not race rider skill, and you are not on a race track. So swallow some pride and stack the deck in your favor. Loud pipes do nothing for you. Wheelie skills have limited benefit when you have to dodge someone.

There is always a point of no return when if the other vehicle pulls out now you can not avoid it. you need to be conscious of that point and position your self to make that area as small as possible.

Pretending everyone else will try to kill you, knowing the possible escapes and the focus necessary to implement it can take out some of the fun, or it is simply part of the game. I hate having to suit up for battle before every ride. But I still ride. Keeps me sane.

I personally feel more exposed on the bicycle. Spandex has very little abrasion resistance. Yet i do that for my health.

I made the decision not to ride when my daughter was at home. Now I ride again. Both kinds. Something will get you someday, all I can hope it that it is not painful.

Rod

Last edited:
I don't ride as much as I used to being 67 years old and all, but I'll most likely always have a motorcycle in the garage for the those nice days I've just got to ride. New house, new car, new wife, new life. I understand and it's good you have recognized that priorities do change.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is your decision, and yes riding is dangerous and possibly getting more dangerous due to distractions and bad training.

you can mitigate some of the danger, wearing a good 1 piece armored riding suit, good helmet, gloves, boots. There are air bag vests too. Riding schools give you more tools avoid a crash. Reading and watching defensive driving instructional materials. There are lots of things, even simulators now

Bike choice and condition are important,some even have have leaning ABS and stability controls. Those bikes are not Harleys and some of them will not associate with you. You are not race rider skill, and you are not on a race track. So swallow some pride and stack the deck in your favor. Loud pipes do nothing for you. Wheelie skills have limited benefit when you have to dodge someone.

There is always a point of no return when if the other vehicle pulls out now you can not avoid it. you need to be conscious of that point and position your self to make that area as small as possible.

Pretending everyone else will try to kill you, knowing the possible escapes and the focus necessary to implement it can take out some of the fun, or it is simply part of the game. I hate having to suit up for battle before every ride. But I still ride. Keeps me sane.

I personally feel more exposed on the bicycle. Spandex has very little abrasion resistance. Yet i do that for my health.

I made the decision not to ride when my daughter was at home. Now I ride again. Both kinds. Something will get you someday, all I can hope it that it is not painful.

Rod

While I appreciate your response, I don't think you read all my content in this thread. I know all about gear, and I wear it. It scored a save when I hit the deer in 2015 on one of my Ducati's. Walked away from that one, the deer not so much, he took some damage, a young male with antler sprouts. Been a full buck or doe I likely would've not emerged as well. Totaled the 2013 Ducati I was on.

My 2016 Ducati had cornering ABS that took into account lean angle and all that. Traction control, you name it. DSP they called it for Ducati Safety Pack. When you encounter gravel in a curve and leave the roadway none of that stuff helps which it didn't help when that happened, what got me was a pvc marker post for a buried utility line. Struck it when off roadway in an already out of control state, causing bars to turn full lock and I high sided off the bike at that point at I don't know what speed maybe 30 - 45mph. Based on injuries my brother a career fire/rescue paramedic in Indianapolis area believes I cart wheeled after high siding. To the time I struck pvc post to the time I awoke on my back in the weeds and sticks about 20' from roadway, I have no memory of anything at all it's a blank.

Will this be your last "should I quit " thread if we say yes this time?

cheers3.gif

"As far as those Harley guys that don't ride with other makes, they are all posers and were never about the riding." Gee, a butt-hurt Metric rider calling me a poser. Ya want some cheese with your whine?

Congratulations on confirming yourself to be a poser. Only people I *ever* hear call other brands "metrics" are the poser crowd. Maybe go put your doo rag on and stand at a mirror admiring how harsh you're going to look out on the streets.

I don't get why everyone who rides a Harley dresses like a pirate...talk about a poser...

Originally Posted by grampi

I don't get why everyone who rides a Harley dresses like a pirate...talk about a poser...

When I had a Harley (FLHTCUI), I wore the same thing I do on my sportbikes: Full roadracing leathers, Sidi boots, Held gloves, and an Arai helmet.

Some people would make negative comments. I just laughed, as their opinions mattered not.

Bottom line: Ride and wear what you want. Just don't waste your time and embarrass yourself by telling me how to live my life.

Originally Posted by SlipperyPete

When were these other quit threads to which you refer? I may have authored one while either still laid up in the hospital or chilling in my room at the in-patient physical rehab facility, but I remember no others off hand. Bought the Guzzi after that.

My two cents is if it is no longer fun don't do it! Lots of other great activites to pursue. In fact, as I get older I find I have too many things I want to do and not enough time, and I periodically think of narrowing my pursuits down so that I can spend more time enjoying one thing or another. I've ridden off and on for more than 50 years and have yet to be seriously injured in an accident. I think the key is to keep your mind engaged while riding, and to stay within your own set limits. That's one reason I prefer to ride alone so that I rest when tired, don't feel I have to keep up with or stay ahead of anyone, and I can drive as safely as I want to with no peer pressure pushing me one way or another. Things can always go wrong and quickly, but you can minimize the risks. I've been in many more near-death experiences in cars, but that's probably because I drove a lot more miles on four wheels than on two, especially in the winter with ice, snow, etc. It is the other drivers that I worry about more than anything when on the bike, and so I pay a lot of attention to what is going on around me, and I leave extra room, change speeds, etc., "just in case." Those three words have saved me many times in cars, on motorcycles, and on bicycles.

When were these other quit threads to which you refer? I may have authored one while either still laid up in the hospital or chilling in my room at the in-patient physical rehab facility, but I remember no others off hand. Bought the Guzzi after that.

I was just ribbing you a little since your post crash thread wandered to this topic a little.

If I found myself in a similar frame of mind, I think I would take the MSF Advanced Rider Course or something similar to refocus and sharpen my survival skills. If you still feel the same, then sell the bike. There are plenty of other bottomless pits into which to throw your disposable income. I hear ultra light aircraft are quite exhilarating.

Since your accident, this is the third thread you posted on the subject. Understandable for sure being what you have been through.
I think you have so many doubts (again, understandable) that you should give up riding because clearly you are not having as much fun and filled with worry or self doubt which very well maybe dangerous if not with a clear head on the bike.

Sure, ABS ( i have it and will never own another bike without it) and other devices greatly help the rider and that posting on the three wheeled thing (not for me) but nothing on planet earth is going to help you when a car or truck slams into your unprotected body on a bike. Body gear is a plus but that is it.
Really, end of discussion. Bike and cars/trucks dont mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I think you have so many doubts (again, understandable) that you should give up riding because clearly you are not having as much fun and filled with worry or self doubt which very well maybe dangerous if not with a clear head on the bike.

I think that really covers it. If you can no longer enjoy it, there's no longer any reason to do so. In North America, generally speaking, we're not riding motorcycles because that's all we can afford to purchase or refuel. In fact, between cost of many bikes, insurance, and the seasonal aspect to it for most parts of the continent, it's a financial burden. If you can't enjoy it, don't do it. Similarly, if it's causing too much stress, don't do it. It's supposed to be fun, and if the joy is gone, I can't blame you for moving on.

Maybe way off topic, but today, many men have low T, which can result in a lack of confidence and loss of muscle mass along with the lack of capability.

I have near zero T due to illness and when I run out of the T prescription, I tend to become concerned about things that otherwise would not worry me.

Originally Posted by CT8
I doubt I have any T !
. My wife squeezes a lemon into my T.......
cool.gif
An enducement for me to keep riding!

Apologies for the thread derail. I was just re-reading the thread and as a guy who LOVES motorcycles and has health problems, I clearly understand the mental debate about riding vs. not riding.

It's easy to make a statement like "we can die crossing the street too" but it's not so easy to correlate the risk of jaywalking with the risk of motorcycling. Motorcycling has high risks, and as I tried to mention above, it may not be all that easy to mitigate many of those risks. And after all, motorcycling is fun partly because of the risk.

I have had times where I give up on motorcycling and times where I get back into it. Lately, I'm out. Mostly due to health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back