To all of the light pickup owners. Why did u choose your PSD, Cummins, or Duramax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still enjoy my Ford F350 4x4 7.3 A/T Power Stroke. I only have 45800 on the odometer. So far the truck has performed great.

Ruby

One of my friends said it best when I was trying to make the decision on a diesel pickup.

There's a reason why every single road tractor has an inline diesel in them.

I am a GM man. Have a convertible Camaro and love it. Built the 350 that's in my 1/2 ton gasser and finally decided I wanted a diesel, but I can't afford trucks with the Duramax in them.

The blue oval is a big warning sign to me. Never have liked Fords and their trucks are butt ugly. Compared to GM and Dodge drivetrains they just aren't an option.

Don't like Dodge much either...but one thing Dodge has that the others don't is the Cummins. Buddy of mine has an 01 and just seeing some of the things he pulls with that truck...it just shouldn't be possible.

I'm hunting for a Cummins at the present time and will deal with every other problem that comes with it.

Don't know what oil I will use yet.

Purchased my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab Shortbox 4x4 because of the longevity and reliability of the Cummins engine. The other parts of the Dodge pickup (leaking rear axle seals, weak fuel transfer pump delivery system, weak automatic transmission - 47RE, poorly designed trackbar, poor shock absorbers) have been taken care of with quality after market parts so hopefully can get 500,000 miles out of her. Modifed the air intake, engine, transmission and exhaust so she puts down roughly 380 ponies to the ground. Running Schaeffer's lubrication and Fleetguard filtration throughout with regular oil analyses. Best part, paid for and running strong - only regular maintenance to ponder over.

We have owned several Chevy 6.2's, four Cummins 5.9's, and even a Ford 7.3. The 7.3 and 6.2's were naturally aspirated and really lagged in pulling power. We owned the 7.3 from new till it had about 50,000 miles. The 7.3 never gave any troubles, but it really liked fuel - just driving around it probably got about 12 MPG and pulling a trailer it got about 8. The 6.2's (4 that I can remember) combined for almost a million miles with the highest being 400,000. They were really good and reliable engines, but couldn't pull the hat off your head. The 6.2's got really good milage on the highway at about 20. We have owned 4 (one is brand new) Dodge trucks with the 5.9. The three (04, 91, 92) experienced 5.9's have 230,000, 200,000, and 210,000 miles respectively. The 91 and 92 pulled stock trailers for about 150,000 each and have never had any problems with the engines. The trans and diffs in the 91 and 92 are junk. The '04 has 230,000 miles and 229,500 of the miles are pulling a 28' livestock trailer. Half of the miles are empty (13,500lbs) and half are loaded (24,000-29,000). The '04 is absolutely the toughest and best pulling truck we have ever owned. We have not had to spend a single penny on repairs for the engine, trans, or diff - I'm really really impressed. Engine oil is changed every 15,000, diff and trans are drained every 60,000. I can't even begin to describe the pulling power of the '04 5.9 HO - out pulls everything else we've ever owned by a mile - no contest.

Wayne

"The 2006's have a 6 speed allison and the LBZ Duramax with 360hp/650tq. Ford or Dodge cant even come close to that.

Source: Diesel Power magazine, March and April 2006 issues.

Stock 2006 Duramax LBZ on the dyno:
300hp/572tq at the rear wheels
Stock 2006 Dodge/Cummins on the dyno:
273hp/574tq at the rear wheels
Stock 2006 Ford 6.0L PSD on the dyno:
294hp/499tq at the rear wheels"

If you have a fancy auto you have to be careful about advertised hp/torque due to 'torque management'. The Allison, probably more than the Ford and then the Dodge, defuels the engine at least in 1st, 5th, and during shifts in order to 'protect itself', as it was originally designed for use with a lot lower output engine. I've heard people observing that they could move over maximum rated loads with an older Cummins with a stick that newer trucks with higher advertised output with autos couldn't budge.

This doesn't a truck any better or worse, it just reinforces what makes 'advertising' advertising.

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
...My 2500HD Silverado rides great, has an awesome transmission, and with 310hp/605tq, moves pretty well for a big truck. Test drive all three and you will see how much better the Allison transmission really is. The 2006's have a 6 speed allison and the LBZ Duramax with 360hp/650tq. Ford or Dodge cant even come close to that.

Glad you like your truck, but the last sentence doesn't quite ring true.

I would call that pretty close.

Just so as not to ignore the elephant in the room -

294hp/499tq at the rear wheels.

quote:

Originally posted by ib516:

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
...My 2500HD Silverado rides great, has an awesome transmission, and with 310hp/605tq, moves pretty well for a big truck. Test drive all three and you will see how much better the Allison transmission really is. The 2006's have a 6 speed allison and the LBZ Duramax with 360hp/650tq. Ford or Dodge cant even come close to that.

Glad you like your truck, but the last sentence doesn't quite ring true.

I would call that pretty close.

Just so as not to ignore the elephant in the room -

294hp/499tq at the rear wheels.

Dodge does put down a lot of power, but a 4 speed auto can't compare to a 6 speed auto.

As for my truck... I do like it a lot, but it is no longer close to stock. I dyno it on May 15th and I am hoping for over 480rwhp and 970rwtq. 500/1000 is more than possible
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Olaf:
I went with the Cummins because I like the inline-six configuration; fewer moving parts, easier to do maint. work on (no repairs have been needed), and I think it looks cool. In the Cummins, it's a proven design that delivers great power and reasonable fuel economy (17 & 20-22). I'd probably buy another. Frankly, though, I wish you could trade a hundred HP for 5 MPG--in any of the diesel pickups.

My fiancee and I will be buying a diesel pickup before too long, as she intends to have a horse farm (long story, use them for physical therapy... and she is a very accomplished equestrian). OK, great, Im a big diesel fan... And, we will be buying a RAM CTD. Mainly for the reasons stated above... And Id trade HP for fuel economy... for sure! We wont be pulling much above 10k lbs anyway.

The CTD is about as good an engine as youll find... I wish the newer ones were still available as an all-mechanical version... just like my MB OM617 engine, which runs as good as brand new with 229k miles on it, ad is as easy as can be to adjust or repair if needs be. That would definitely be preferable to me... however I wont buy a used work truck. Oh well, I have faith in it anyway.

large diesel pickups arent race cars, and the world isnt a nascar track. If youre doing under 12 seconds 0-60, youre either not loaded up enough, or wasting fuel...

JMH

[ April 22, 2006, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

Well I'm (was) dyed in the wool Ford blue, but I've got a '06 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L 6spd 4x4 that I traded for yesterday.

Really wanted a low mile used 7.3L PSD with a 6spd, but they are rare enough, and to find one that hasn't had a K+N in it is a real feat. Wouldn't even consider the slush box either. Father has a '03 7.3L and it's already having problems with it's 4r100 after 25,000 miles. The '00 7.3L PSD F250 that I used to own had a slush box that was still going after 80K mi, but it was getting tired and you could really feel the slippage.

I've driven 4 6.0L Fords, and every one of them had some sort of electrical gremlin. Didn't even bother driving any new ones.

Don't like the looks of the Chevys, so that left me with Dodge.

The Dodge Mega Cab is really something!

I bought my '93 Cummins powered Dodge for the Cummins and I have not been disappointed by either. It has 240k on it and currently puts 370 HP and 850 foot lbs. to the ground.
burnout.gif

Delvac 1300s goes in twice a year.

I purchased my 98.5 Dodge 7 years ago because it was a Dodge with a Cummins engine. After 130K it runs just as good as it did the day I picked it up. The only problem was an a/c clutch on my dime. It has NEVER been back to the dealer and never will.

I bought a 2000 F-450 used two years ago. I bought used, so I could get the 7.3 T444e. IMHO, the cummins is the best engine, but the rest of the truck falls apart way too soon. (I've owned 2 mid 90s dodges, one 12 valve, and one 24 valve, and while the engines were great, both were constantly down with non engine problems). I went with Ford over GM simply because I wanted a manual, and try finding a crew cab chevrolet with a 6 speed.

My other truck is a 2002 regular cab chevrolet K3500 lb7 duramax with a 6 speed. I bought that one new, which is how I was able to get the 6 speed.

Both of my trucks have been really good to me, The F-450 has the lower odometer right now, at just 145,000. The big weak link in the 7.3 is the CPS. The original CPS just went out in January at 141,000. Aside from that, and a worn clutch, both trucks run flawlessly, and tow heavy (30' Gooseneck flatbet trailer) on a regular basis.

I run Mobil Delvac 1300 super in both. I will be getting my first UOA sometime next month.

I did alot of research on this subject since around the beginnning of the year. Lurked on all the diesel forums, talked to owners, etc. Two months ago I decided I was a serious prospective 1st generation Cummins buyer and spent the better part of two months looking for a truck. About three weeks ago I went WAY out of my way (to Oklahoma City, to be exact) and drove home my new (to me) 91.5 Dodge W250 4x4. It had 59k on it, was garage kept all it's life and cost me not much less than the original owner paid for it new back in 1991. I have not been disappointed. It is a real truck that will pull a house down and probably outlast me. All the truck I'll ever need. I test drove a couple new ones before making my final decision. Wasn't impressed. You can have the fancy interiors, high-tech electronic gizmos and 24 or more valves all you want. No thanks. 1st gen Cummins for me: Simple, solid, dependable. What more could you ask for in a "real" truck?
patriot.gif

wow, lucky you... can you post pics??? I love those 66-93 old dodge trucks!

If I could find a nice one, MT, extended cab, 4x4, Id buy it!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by acewiza:
Absolutely - here's a link to my gallery on the DTR site:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/pics/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=42318

WOW! nice.. I love the lines of that truck... no gimmicks, no 'bold moves', just a good tough looking truck. I love the gutter above the doors and the way the roof meets the rest of the truck.

And that wood paneling around the speedo... they sure dont make em like that anymore.

SOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!

Good luck, thanks for the link!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back