To all of the light pickup owners. Why did u choose your PSD, Cummins, or Duramax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The Cummins 5.9L seems to be offered in some class 8 vehicles up to a bit over 60k lbs, but I've seen comments from people who've driven different configurations say that they're better suited for vehicles at 30k lbs or less. The Ford 6.0L seems to also be offered in some class 8 vehicles, (the Cummins 5.9L is offered in some medium duty Fords), but it has had well known teething problems. GM seems to offer the Isuzu engine in the pickups up to class 5 and then switches to an 8L engine. Don't know about the earlier Ford 7.3L.

You could get a DT444 (the 7.3L Powerstroke) in some of the medium duty Internationals...they were very underpowered, but they did use them...most of the UPS trucks have a DT444 or DT466...our drill rig was a 4300 chassis with a DT466.

I had a Peterbilt straight-truck as a drillrig support truck. It had a 5.9L and a spicer 6-spd...I had the truck loaded to 33k and was towing 16k and that little 5.9L was taxed pretty well. But it did the job and never cost us a dime...and that was with well over 250k on the clock (it had broke at 247k).

steved

The B model engine, either the 4 or 6 cylinder is not offered in a class 8 truck. Some class 7, but mostly class 6 and smaller trucks. The B model is an excellent engine and has proven itself in many applications. The T444E is a good engine which has also proved itself. In stock forms the two engines produce similar power output. For racing applications the Cummins holds a lead over any other medium duty engine. For a work truck either the 7.3 or 5.9 will produce similar power.

As I said in previous posts, we have fleets of 7.3's that have been by far the best engine/truck combo we've had yet in a pickup sized package. The new Dodge's are nice, they finally have a decent frame. The Chevy's are ok, but I don't like being locked into buying engine parts from GM dealers that never stock anything. We have several C5500 GMC's at work and they preform very well.

I'm kinda partial to Ford trucks, but I've owned/driven/worked on just about everything. All three produce a decent truck, anymore it just about what name you want on the grill. I wouldn't buy a new truck anyway, too much new emissions stuff on them. They'll need several years to work out the bugs. I have experience with this level of emissions equipment because at work we have been voluntarily running it since the mid 1990's (yep, equipment to meet 07 emissions in 1996).

The biggest thing is good maintenance. If you maintain something it will last a long time. I had a 6.2 Detroit in GMC pickup that went 200K miles pretty much trouble free. I've seen 6BTA's throw a rod in under 80K miles. All related to maintenance and operation.

Well i Have a 2006 dodge mega cab 3500, 2004 ford F250 7.3,
I Have Never had a GMC ? Why , i just Do Not Like The Way They Look ! Not Very easy on The Eyes, But i Have to say i have had more ford Diesel Trucks Then Dodge in My Life , But i Must Say I Do Like The 2006 Dodge , I Get around 23mpg empty, Loaded Pulling a Trailer 8x26 box heavy i Get 15-18 mpg. Not to Bad , But the ford Empty 16mpg loaded 7-10 !
So i Guess That Tells The Story, Dodge is hard to beat !
We Are Looking @ The New International MXT Or The RXT !
They are Very Nice Rig You can get them with a playstation
buit in from the factory for the kids For The Adults ,eclipse cd/dvd player,dash mounted touchscreen monitor dvd navigation & back up cam . Ivory faced sports gauges,20inch wheels, Allison 2200 rds five speed trans auto , 40 gal fuel tank. GVWR:14,500 8 Feet Wide 7 feet 7inch high 21 feet long . Towing 15,500 not bad !

Regards,
Col.

Got the 7.3L PSD, main reason - I have friends that have over 350K miles on them and still running good, and everything else in the truck is still working. A proven engine in my opinion
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back