Titanium is gone

If you want tungsten just buy oil formulated with tungsten. Some Ravenol come with
it, even including MB approvals.
Some decades ago Castrol sold oils with tungsten. Late 1970s Castrol GTX2 15W-50
also had tungsten. That's what my dad was running in his oil burning Mk1 Rabbit at
that time.

Attachments

• castrol with tungsten.jpg
    castrol with tungsten.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 25
  • The eBay Oils 2012-04-01-The-eBay-Oils-Part-1.pdf
    175.1 KB · Views: 13
Forget the 0w-xx, they're just blanket oils that cover every possible temp. scenario. Go for a targeted 5w-30, like Red Line High Performance.

The 0w-xx oils have some of the most difficult to obtain approvals. Highly amusing that you then jump from that statement to pitching a product that has zero formal approvals at all.

Most people I'd bet associate titanium with metal. And why on earth would you put metal in oil... so people either thought they were crazy, or they just had very bad marketing folks.

TiO2 was also recently classified as a carcinogen in EU.

I emailed BP. Yeah, I know. Crazy of me.
Here's the response:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The following Castrol EDGE fluids are engineered with Fluid TITANIUM Technology to transform under pressure, increasing its film strength to prevent oil breakdown and reducing friction to unlock maximum engine performance:
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 U.S.
The "Fluid TITANIUM Technology" call out may now appear on the back label on these products.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API rating and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly. Before using any lubricant, ensure that the lubricant product specifications meet or exceed the lubricant specifications required by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for that specific use.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Doesn't matter to me anymore because you guys all drove the Wallyworld price of C3 up so I'd have to buy Pennzoil. I know it was a plot.
:eek:

I emailed BP. Yeah, I know. Crazy of me.
Here's the response:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The following Castrol EDGE fluids are engineered with Fluid TITANIUM Technology to transform under pressure, increasing its film strength to prevent oil breakdown and reducing friction to unlock maximum engine performance:
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 U.S.
The "Fluid TITANIUM Technology" call out may now appear on the back label on these products.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API rating and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly. Before using any lubricant, ensure that the lubricant product specifications meet or exceed the lubricant specifications required by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for that specific use.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Doesn't matter to me anymore because you guys all drove the Wallyworld price of C3 up so I'd have to buy Pennzoil. I know it was a plot.
:eek:
Isn’t the LL c3 approved? It’s only $24

Nobody is putting elemental titanium in the oil, it is a compound. Just as nobody eats elemental sodium in sodium chloride.
I'm sure you've seen elemental sodium in water - that one valence electron makes all the difference!

Most people I'd bet associate titanium with metal. And why on earth would you put metal in oil... so people either thought they were crazy, or they just had very bad marketing folks.

TiO2 was also recently classified as a carcinogen in EU.

I wonder what those same people would associate molybdenum with?

Back