Titanium is gone

RMG

Belgium (aka German) Castrol 0W-30's bottle no longer shows Titanium. New formula?
1631487005684.png

I vaguely remember talk of a negative chemical interaction between titanium and moly or some other common additive. So no surprise, in my opinion, if titanium is being removed from newer formulations.

Kendall got rid of it as well.
Castrol does still use it in their non-euro black bottle grades, for now at least….

The cost of the titanium additive has likely exceeded the point of justification for using it among the common shelf brands. Valvoline ditched it also.

Not Royal Purple! They are still using titanium and it is obvious that it is the reason why it is slightly higher in price than those obviously inferior motor oil products. You get what you pay for with Royal Purple 💜

Castrol does still use it in their non-euro black bottle grades, for now at least….

Castrol Gold Bottle EP still uses it as well.

When it comes to friction modifier additives, look at the racing industry. There's no other application where reducing friction is more focused. The bottom dollar isn't much a consideration for the companies that blend these oils because they are after the highest performance possible regardless of the cost. If you look at the formulas for these oils (Schaeffer's Micron-Moly, Amsoil Dominator, HPL BAS, Red Line HP, LAT Racing, Mobil 1 Racing, Driven XP, etc....), you don't see titanium in any of them. If titanium is so great at reducing friction and wear with good synergy with other additives, regardless of the cost, you'd see it in these oils.

I think the titanium deal was more marketing than anything. People see the words "liquid titanium" and their eyes light up.

Not Royal Purple! They are still using titanium and it is obvious that it is the reason why it is slightly higher in price than those obviously inferior motor oil products. You get what you pay for with Royal Purple 💜

That's interesting to see. The PQIA report is almost a year old so it would be interesting to see if it's changed now. Royal Purple has just copied Valvoline for years. That company fell a long way after the founder died and Calumet took over. As for getting what you pay for, you're really just paying for some purple dye. That's not to say it won't work fine in any typical commuter car or any API SP application, there's just not anything special about it.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know which friction modifiers work better or are more cost effective. I have a small mountain of the Castrol with the fluid titanium. I've never quite understood the product, or marketing. Titanium is a strong light weight metal. So I don't really understand how it makes a good friction modifier. I'm sure it does well, I just lack an understanding of the product and the advertising/marketing of it. When I think of Titanium I think of metal used for medical procedures, plates, and other areas where expensive light weight metals are used. I don't think of it as being a slippery liquid substance.

What's next? "Castrol full synthetic, now with extra gravel!" Or "...now with extra metal shavings!"

But this might also explain the product Walmart sold out recently online for very low prices.

I'm not an engineer so I don't know which friction modifiers work better or are more cost effective. I have a small mountain of the Castrol with the fluid titanium. I've never quite understood the product, or marketing. Titanium is a strong light weight metal. So I don't really understand how it makes a good friction modifier. I'm sure it does well, I just lack an understanding of the product and the advertising/marketing of it. When I think of Titanium I think of metal used for medical procedures, plates, and other areas where expensive light weight metals are used. I don't think of it as being a slippery liquid substance.

What's next? "Castrol full synthetic, now with extra gravel!" Or "...now with extra metal shavings!"

But this might also explain the product Walmart sold out recently online for very low prices.
Nobody is putting elemental titanium in the oil, it is a compound. Just as nobody eats elemental sodium in sodium chloride.

Back