Tires Roaring

Due to being based on VW's MQB platform the Tiguan's suspension is somewhat derived from Golf
and Passat. Some parts are the same, some parts are same as on higher powered Golf versions (GTI,
R), some (few) are Tiguan specific. This suspension is pretty sophisticated, but it isn't as robust as that
of some if not most more traditional SUVs and for this reason I can imagine it going off alignment
little easier. Not a huge issue and even less so with these mild size tires with tall side walls, just trying
to find an explanation. Rear camber and toe could have also been off from factory, we'll never know.

I was hoping a few more of our experts would give me some feedback.
The only thing that concerns me is the rear camber. But the toe is spot on, so even though 930engineering and I disagree on the threshold for problems, we both agree that toe is the overriding factor.

Please post back after you get some miles on - I think I'm talking 10,000 miles.

I'm running -2 degrees rear camber with 0.06 degrees toe-in. This has been so since 2 years, before that I ran -2.4 degrees camber and 0.3 degrees toe-in.

Neither gave or give me any issues with uneven wear, but less camber and less toe-in makes the car rotate quicker.

Another driver with the same Tiguan and same alignment would probably wear tires somewaht differently - outer tire shoulders instead of the inner section. I might be one of them. It all depends on individual driving style. That said, we all agree that former alignment had been off and the 'refresh' has been a good investment that pays for itself.

Due to being based on VW's MQB platform the Tiguan's suspension is somewhat derived from Golf
and Passat. Some parts are the same, some parts are same as on higher powered Golf versions (GTI,
R), some (few) are Tiguan specific. This suspension is pretty sophisticated, but it isn't as robust as that
of some if not most more traditional SUVs and for this reason I can imagine it going off alignment
little easier. Not a huge issue and even less so with these mild size tires with tall side walls, just trying
to find an explanation. Rear camber and toe could have also been off from factory, we'll never know.
It’s likely that it was out from the factory. The car hasn’t hit any curbs or potholes. It’s never been wrecked. My wife drives very conservatively.

Typically when my tires are loud and I run my finger across the trends, I notice saw tooth like height difference on the "blocks" in the driving direction, like they were worn biting into the road when braking. It won't go away until I rotate them left / right or X pattern. Then it would suddenly becomes quiet till it wear into another saw tooth pattern in that direction.

@tyman
Yeah, the Defender T+H are going on Monday. 2019 VW Tiguan. The Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus have terrible ratings on Bridgestone’s website. The folks having the most problems are CR-V owners and Lexus CUV owners. Regardless of my alignment being out a little, it seems the OEM Bridgestone tires are pretty much toast between 25,000 and 30,000 miles.

@tyman
Yeah, the Defender T+H are going on Monday. 2019 VW Tiguan. The Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus have terrible ratings on Bridgestone’s website. The folks having the most problems are CR-V owners and Lexus CUV owners. Regardless of my alignment being out a little, it seems the OEM Bridgestone tires are pretty much toast between 25,000 and 30,000 miles.
What sucks on the CRV is that they have 2 different tires as OE tires and the Bridgestones are widely considered the “better” of the two. Lmao oh lord.

@tyman
Wew new tires. Heard a new rattle or two due to how quiet the tires are now, lolol

A set of Michelin Defender T+H went on today. The ride is smooth. The car is much quieter. However, a unibody car can only be so quiet. I will do rotations twice a year. I’ll report back in a year of 10,000 miles with an update.

no pictures of stacks of new tires and beauty shots? I feel cheated... :LOL:
No. I didn’t have my phone with me. I will tell you that the dealership’s service manager and the parts clerk were all too familiar with the old Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus. They didn’t have a glowing opinion on them. There is a $70 rebate or 30,000 Ford Pass points available until 6/30/2021. I opted for the Ford Pass points. I can usually get a better deal on tires at my local Ford dealership than anywhere else. $742 mounting, balance, fees and taxes. The rebate brings it down further.

No. I didn’t have my phone with me. I will tell you that the dealership’s service manager and the parts clerk were all too familiar with the old Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus. They didn’t have a glowing opinion on them. There is a $70 rebate or 30,000 Ford Pass points available until 6/30/2021. I opted for the Ford Pass points. I can usually get a better deal on tires at my local Ford dealership than anywhere else. $742 mounting, balance, fees and taxes. The rebate brings it down further.
I left a nice review on Tirerack about the Ecrapias. :geek:

And not sure of the size you use but good price. It was like $798 all-in at Costco for the CR-V tires....yay road hazard and lifetime rotate/balance. lol

Back