Tirerack

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

The only thing about Tirerack that I don't like is not knowing when the tire was manufactured.

The TireRack does a lot of business. I doubt they sit on new old stock tires. I've never gotten an old tire from them.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

The only thing about Tirerack that I don't like is not knowing when the tire was manufactured.

The TireRack does a lot of business. I doubt they sit on new old stock tires. I've never gotten an old tire from them.

True.
They'd be out of business if they were selling old tires.
A tire's serial number shows the date the tire was made.
I just bought a set of Bridgestone H/L Alenza's which is a newer tire by Bridgestone.

[ September 20, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

quote:

Originally posted by MaximaGuy:
The only thing about Tirerack that I don't like is not knowing when the tire was manufactured. I like their prices but hate to not know when the **** tire was manufactured -- there was this interesting program on "60 minutes" that talked in length of manufacture date to avoid injury.
for example, if a tire was manufacted in 2002 and if they were put on a vehicle in 2005 and potentially wear out by 2008, the tire in fact would have been 7 yrs old, which can be dangerous...

Hence this time I got my tires from Costco knowing very well when the tires were manufactured.

That's an interesting and valid concern but I wonder if this is even an issue given their high volume sales. Maybe that's one of the reasons they carry only the major manufacurers (Michelin, Yokohama, Dunlop, Goodyear, etc.) I'd say a tire that sits for more than a year is probably going to be eating into their profits
dunno.gif

I guess you guys buy more expensive tires than me, so the shipping and installation is a smaller percentage of the total cost.

And what is this about not knowing when the tires are made? Its on the coded number on the sidewall. I think what you are saying is that you cannot look at the sidewall until you receive the tire from the UPS truck. If you think it is too old, send it back!! However, I never received an "old" tire from Tirerack.

Bought my 1st alloy wheel/tire combo from Tirerack over a decade ago for my old reliable '90 Civic..the latest, 2 sets for both the Passat & 190E.

I go to TR for their exceptionally low prices(saves me approx $100/set..) and mainly for the hard to find tires/sizes that I won't find at any local tire retailers...then I troop over to my neighborhood Indy German shop(previously Costco) to do the Hunter balance/install at a discount.

I've done the best at Tirerack buying snows on wheels. Discount Tire/America's Tires matches Tirerack's prices (actually looks them up on the 'net and adds shipping) and installs cheaper than other local installers.

Ken

I think if your delivery area is close to their facility, the shipping price is great.

However, the tires are priced wonderfully - but unfortunately by the time you add in shipping, even for slow delivery, it makes up the price difference. When you have to include installation as well - $40 mount/balance.

At least the shipping prices for the Rocky Mountain region are nothing less then $89.

I've purchased many sets of tires and steel and alloy wheels from Tire Rack, and from Discount Tire [ tires.com ].

I've saved a lot of money over the years, and both companies have provided outstanding customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back