tirerack kuhmo or walmart douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Douglas GT-H tires on my Volvo 850 for the entire 100k miles I owned it. They were quiet, handled fine, performed well, were a very reasonable price, wore evenly even with minimal rotations and I got at least 55k miles out of a set. The car came with two badly worn Michelins, so I had two newer and two older Douglases on the car at any given time.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore, but if I did they would at least get a good look were I in the market for tires.

I just read this thread and thought I'd try to clear some things up seeing as how i currently work part time in at a walmart tle.

The Douglas Xtrac 2 is made by Goodyear, most of them are made in USA but some of the smaller sizes are made in chile or brazil, not china. They have 1 ply sidewall so its no touring tire but for the price they are ok

As far as other tires that are walmart specific, I will list them.

Goodyear Viva 2(similar to Goodyear Integrity)
Goodyear Viva Authority(similar to Goodyear Assurance)
Goodyear Eagle Authority(similar to Eagle GT)
The above tires carry the same all the same ratings, etc as the similar good year tires. I've heard(never verified)that the reason goodyear created a new brand for Walmart was too keep Walmart from price matching competitors out of business which it could very easily do. That being said, you can special order virtually any tire that from any major manufacturer through Walmart. Just ask to look through the special order catalog, they keep it behind the desk usually bc its kind of a pain to use, lol.

Walmart also carries Uniroyal Touring Trak and Uninroyal Long touring which i believe are walmart specific tires also. I've heard very few complaints about these and believe they are similar to the tiger paw line but I don't know the exact match ups.

Contrary to popular belief, none of the tires Walmart regularly keeps in stock are made in china, at least at my store anyway. In fact, I'd say 90% are USA Made.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Aren't they made by good year

If they are that's a good reason to get the Kumhos. Every Goodyear tire I've ever had has been pure junk...

Well whoever they are made by they are miles better than my pos hankooks

What model of hankook? they have some horrid oem models.. and some decent/good models too.

I snipped out the irrelevant stuff. All of this is the bottome line concerning the new tires being offered at Wal Mart...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Made by the same company does not always mean the same product.

It is a question of what standards the product is being built for.

You can be assured that a company's entry-level, rebranded product is not going to have the same cutting-edge technology as their premium line.

Um, you're right in your assertions that entry level rebranded is not good, etc. But at the same time concerning this latest move by Wal Mart, you're wrong.

Well has anyone gone to Walmart dot com and saw there tires they have some top tier tires. The kellys I'm getting aren't even in stores just online.

Yes I went to Wal Mart online. I'm a little upset as an independent tire dealer.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Walmart apparently has new business ties going...(snip)...

This post is the winner. Wal Mart now has ties with American Tire Distributors. Apparently this is an attempt by them to push more rubber. They are getting a sweetheart of a deal. These are the real deal tires, not the Wal Mart specific junk of the past.

Meanwhile, the independent dealer that ATD proclaims to support (as taken off their website: "Providing tires and wheels to independent dealers is just the beginning of our commitment.") is getting screwed. Yay for corporate greed.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I snipped out the irrelevant stuff. All of this is the bottome line concerning the new tires being offered at Wal Mart...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Made by the same company does not always mean the same product.

It is a question of what standards the product is being built for.

You can be assured that a company's entry-level, rebranded product is not going to have the same cutting-edge technology as their premium line.

Um, you're right in your assertions that entry level rebranded is not good, etc. But at the same time concerning this latest move by Wal Mart, you're wrong.

Well has anyone gone to Walmart dot com and saw there tires they have some top tier tires. The kellys I'm getting aren't even in stores just online.

Yes I went to Wal Mart online. I'm a little upset as an independent tire dealer.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Walmart apparently has new business ties going...(snip)...

This post is the winner. Wal Mart now has ties with American Tire Distributors. Apparently this is an attempt by them to push more rubber. They are getting a sweetheart of a deal. These are the real deal tires, not the Wal Mart specific junk of the past.

Meanwhile, the independent dealer that ATD proclaims to support (as taken off their website: "Providing tires and wheels to independent dealers is just the beginning of our commitment.") is getting screwed. Yay for corporate greed.

I always supported my local independent tire dealer, but eventually stopped because they continually pushed tires that were profitable to them, not the tire that was best for me. They would even go so far as to claim all the tires I wanted were "out of stock" in an attempt to trick me into buying these shoddy sale tires. Any tire dealer that won't mount a tire purchased elsewhere validates "shady" behavior. I found a local dealer that unfortunately marks tires too high, but takes my money to mount and balance. For that they got my repair work that I can't do myself. Anyways..just compared Walmart prices to who I use, discounttiredirect. Some prices are higher, some lower. Add shipping (unless you want to go to store), its the same or higher with a very limited selection. Discounttiredirect has free shipping to your door, better selection, still prefer them.

Originally Posted By: pakstl

Goodyear Viva 2(similar to Goodyear Integrity)
Goodyear Viva Authority(similar to Goodyear Assurance)
Goodyear Eagle Authority(similar to Eagle GT)
The above tires carry the same all the same ratings, etc as the similar good year tires. I've heard(never verified)that the reason goodyear created a new brand for Walmart was too keep Walmart from price matching competitors out of business

Good information. Kind of what I had suspected as well.

HWEaton brings up a very interesting point - that independent tire dealers are competing with mass retailers for sales of tires.

On the one side, mass retailers can offer economies of scale. They can buy many times the volume of tires that an independent tire dealer does - especially if the independent dealer is a single outlet. Needless to say, a tire manufacturer will offer a better price break to someone buying 10's of thousands of tires compared to someone buy only hundreds - and, of course, this can result in a lower price to the consumer.

The other side of the coin is personal service - especially if there are problems. A mass retailer like WalMart treats tires just like they do - say - toasters. Their approach is to merely replace the item with a new one. They don't really diagnose the problem - which in the case of tires, could be the vehicle.

Let me give you an example of how this works - and allow me to use the Goodyear example listed in the posting above.

Goodyear supplies to all its dealers several lines of tires to cover the various needs to consumers. They can offer mass retailers otherwise identical tires but with different names on the sidewall - but are they truly "identical"?

Well.....maybe!

Externally, the tires may appear to be identical, but there are machines downstream of the manufacturing process that measure certain tire properties that are known to address common consumer issues - and I'll only talk about one - sidewall bulges and indentations.

There are machines that can measure the amount of variation in the sidewall when the tire is inflated - and the tires can be treated differently according to what name is written on the sidewall. The tire going to the independent dealer COULD be screened to a higher standard than tires going to the mass retailer.

There are other properties - and machines - that are measured.

The net effect is that while the mass retailer can offer a better price, the tire being supplied could be of lower quality.

But of more importance is the level of expertise. Needless to say, WalMart offers an incredibly low level of expertise. When it comes to tires, the product is requiring less and less expertise at the retail end, but there is still a need to deal with issues that exist. How these 2 different outlets deal with that is a measure of the differing philospohies.

An independent dealer can do all sorts of things that a mass retailer can't.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
The net effect is that while the mass retailer can offer a better price, the tire being supplied could be of lower quality.

What about tires that are store-specific, like the Viva line (no place other than Walmart sells that) and Michelin's X Radial line (nobody other than warehouse clubs sells that). If the mass retailers get the "seconds", then where to the "firsts" go, for these store-specific lines?

And then my other question would be...if Walmart for example now has a contract with ATD, who also supplies the "local guy" with tires, then it would have to be ATD who separates the "firsts" from the "seconds", and delivers the "good" tires to the "local guy" and the "bad" tires to the mass retailers, right?

I agree with ahoier and HWEaton, it's fairly clear to me the Walmart.com is now offering first line tires like General 'Altimax' HP's and Michelin MXV4 Primacy, with free ship to store. I believe these to be the same tires sold at Tire Rack and Discount Tire to name a couple big retailers.

These would be in addition to the tires 'made for' Walmart B&M stores like the Goodyear varieties, and something like the General Evermax HP's etc.

The price of the Gen. Alt HP's is very competitive with TR with shipping, even though Wally.com includes Env. fee and state tax which TR doesn't. The MXV4 Primacy price seems competitive too. Not really difficult to believe as Sam's Clubs has long sold first line tires.

As for Wally somehow joining with ATD, not doubting anyone here per se, just not sure where that assertion comes from? It's not listed on the ATD website, and the online company Tirebuyer.com doesn't list Wally as designated installer, still just indy's. If it's because Kelly tires can now be had through Wally.com, Discount Tire sells Kelly too and has for awhile. Just wondering how it's known that ATD is now connected to Wally?

All that said, I now buy tires from Discount Tire so the only thing that the Wally.com first line tire additions means to me is another place to price shop before going to DT for the price match or beat.

I know because I contacted ATD directly about it. Look, I use 4 Distributors. Nebraskaland (Goodyear, Kelly, Cooper, Mastercraft, etc.), GCR (Firestone, Bridgestone, Yokohama, El DOrado, Hercules, etc.), Foree (TBC to include MultiMile SimaE, etc, Toyo, Yokohama, Hankook, etc) and ATD (General/Continental, Michelin, Uniroyal, BFG, etc). When I saw the lineup, I knew exactly where they came from. I called Huntersville. Needless to say, I am not happy about it.

BTW, sayjac, which size were you referencing?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What about tires that are store-specific, like the Viva line (no place other than Walmart sells that) and Michelin's X Radial line (nobody other than warehouse clubs sells that). If the mass retailers get the "seconds", then where to the "firsts" go, for these store-specific lines?.......

I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying WalMart GETS "seconds", I'm saying they COULD be getting seconds!

....And then my other question would be...if Walmart for example now has a contract with ATD, who also supplies the "local guy" with tires, then it would have to be ATD who separates the "firsts" from the "seconds", and delivers the "good" tires to the "local guy" and the "bad" tires to the mass retailers, right?

I think it would be obvious that ATD isn't stocking 2 different tires - HOWEVER - if there were a line of tires dedicated to WalMart, ATD could be just a central warehouse for WalMart.

What I am trying to say is that you have to be careful when buying at WalMart. Their volume can allow certain practices to take place - plus, I am sure that the management at WalMart knows very little about tires, and are not really a good source of info. They are dedicated to the business as a local tire retailer would be. A local retailer can be very helpful if you have problems.

And one last thought: If the name on the sidewall is DIFFERENT - even though the tire tread pattern is the same - these tires COULD be treated differently by the tire manufacturer. I think you will find that WalMart's tires, by and large, have a different name on the sidewall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
As for Wally somehow joining with ATD, not doubting anyone here per se, just not sure where that assertion comes from?

I checked the Walmart website for tires in my size and now all of a sudden, two different Continental tires are listed (the CrossContact LX and the ProContact EcoPlus). These are two relatively competitive tires available for very good prices at Walmart. I'm looking at the ProContact EcoPlus for my Honda. I will give Black's Tire here in town a chance to match Walmart's price. Black's has already given me a quote of about $150/tire and Walmart's website shows $130/ea.

And one last thought: If the name on the sidewall is DIFFERENT - even though the tire tread pattern is the same - these tires COULD be treated differently by the tire manufacturer. I think you will find that WalMart's tires, by and large, have a different name on the sidewall.

Yes, many of them do have different names. And the tread pattern differs only slightly...probably not noticed by the average consumer, but you can see the small differences. Are you suggesting that it's possible that these specific tires "COULD" be treated differently by the manufacturer...as in they may not necessarily be put through as many uniformity or quality checks?

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I know because I contacted ATD directly about it.

That explains it then. As I said, just wondering how that ATD info was known. Somewhat familiar with ATD as Huntersville is not far from my location, the Heafner Tire name is common in these parts, and I see ATD delivery trucks all the time.

It does lead me to another question though, does this also mean that other tire stores like Disc. Tire and Treadepot/Kaufman Tire could also be using ATD, or this just a Wally.com thing? You being an independent dealer though, I understand your displeasure.

Quote:
BTW, sayjac, which size were you referencing?

The size is the 195/60-15. I've purchased three sets of tires from DT over the years in that size for a Civic, so I'm most aware of the pricing in that size. I specifically priced the Gen. Altimax HP's.

I wouldn't mind doing business with my local indy dealer, and have in the past. But since DT came to the area, I've found that even if they could match the price at DT, they can't/don't match DT's service after the sale. Things like rotations done in a timely manner with no appointment, torquing each lug to spec(not just air gun), and top of the line balance equipment, have made DT my choice for tires.

I started a thread posted here some time back about my DT service experience, and nothing's changed my opinion since that time.

..... Are you suggesting that it's possible that these specific tires "COULD" be treated differently by the manufacturer...as in they may not necessarily be put through as many uniformity or quality checks?

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am suggesting - and I would add that part of those quality checks COULD include different levels for rejection.

..... Are you suggesting that it's possible that these specific tires "COULD" be treated differently by the manufacturer...as in they may not necessarily be put through as many uniformity or quality checks?

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am suggesting - and I would add that part of those quality checks COULD include different levels for rejection.

I see. Thanks for the clarification and info.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
......It does lead me to another question though, does this also mean that other tire stores like Disc. Tire and Treadepot/Kaufman Tire could also be using ATD, or this just a Wally.com thing? .......

There are lots of ways people can get tires - but Discount Tire and Kaufman Tire buy directly from the tire manufacturers and have their own warehouses.

I've also confirmed through my sources that Wally World is still buying tires directly from the tire manufacturers - and I'm guessing this business of ATD supplying Wally World with tires is going to be a strong discission point for independent dealers with both ATD and the tire manufacturers. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back