tirerack kuhmo or walmart douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know i will need tires soon and today I was nicely reminded that in the rain my handbook mileage plus tires suck. Theyre at about 4/32 so they are due soon. I am looking at cheaper tires well because the point of a cheap car is to keep It cheap. I know neither tire is the best around but which way would you guys go. I can get a set of Douglas extra trac 2 for 336 with mount balance and everything. Or I can get a set of kumho solus on tirerack and have them installed for a total of 306 so I'm saving 30 bucks but I have to wait about a week. Which would you guys do? Which tiee is better? I know people who like Douglas tires I've never used both or know anyone who has had kumho. Please any help will be great. Thanks guys

Wait the week and get the Kuhmo Solus tire. Douglas Xtra trac 2 tires are horrible. I worked at a Walmart TLE in college and I can tell you that those tires are garbage, 90% of the flat repairs I did were those as well as warranty replacement. Save yourself the headache and get the Kuhmo Solus tires, they are a decent tire for the money.

Get the kumhos. Tirerack has warehouses all over and even with cheapo shipping you should have them before the next rainstorm.

Go to the Walmart web site and check the tires,they usually have tires there that you cant get at stores.They will ship them to a store of your choice for free.

Tires on the internet might be cheaper but if you have problems,you cant go to a local shop and get something done,you have to ship them back to the site,such as,Tirerack.

Kumho Solus KH25 are the original equipment tire on my Fiesta, and they seem alright (fine in the wet, still round, plenty of life left, etc.) after 14K miles.

walmart tires? no thanks. They probably still are chinese and are built to a worse price point than the kumho tires...

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I will check Walmart site. Id like to not spend a whole lot

You WILL get what you pay for and I can assure you a set of 335 dollar kelly/douglas tires is an absolute waste, might as well put it in an account and wait to pay your deductible instead with those terrible tires you won't be much better off.

At least wait a week and get the Kuhmo's you will be WAY better off then, and for the record, almost every tire I see at walmart is bottom of the barrel junk.

I'm not going to argue but I've bought the good year viva2 at Walmart they have been good. I don't think all there tires are bad.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
You WILL get what you pay for and I can assure you a set of 335 dollar kelly/douglas tires is an absolute waste, might as well put it in an account and wait to pay your deductible instead with those terrible tires you won't be much better off.

At least wait a week and get the Kuhmo's you will be WAY better off then, and for the record, almost every tire I see at walmart is bottom of the barrel junk.

You cant say that Kelly/Douglas tires would be a waste,you dont know unless you have bought the very same tire.WM sells several tires and several name brands and they are not all junk.

Douglas tires are usually made by either Goodyear/affiliate or Cooper/affiliate.

Many times tires are like oil,you can pay for a name and advertising or you can pay for a high quality oil that doesnt advertise.

Douglas tires arent advertised and they dont have a big name that you pay extra for.

Instead,you most likely will get a good tire cheaper than a comparable big name brand that is most likely made by a big name brand.

There has even been comments about some Michelin tires not being very good.

Motorguy222 your so reasonable. I feel like a lot of people think anything that doesnt have a name brand logo tacked all over it is [censored]. I went ahead and ordered the Kellys I got all 4 mount balance tax and everything for 315. I'm happy with that price. I read online and found more good than bad about them.

^
I have had several tires over the years and many were house brands.

I have only had one name that I can complain about and that was Remington.They were a good tire but seemed to have belt problems.The dealer may have be at fault then.

Motorguy222 your so reasonable. I feel like a lot of people think anything that doesnt have a name brand logo tacked all over it is [censored]. I went ahead and ordered the Kellys I got all 4 mount balance tax and everything for 315. I'm happy with that price. I read online and found more good than bad about them.

Absolute end all, be all top of the line name brand isnt a key determinant, and often those brands capitalize on loyalty.

But Walmart, Chinese, etc. coming together with a safety item like a tire is scary. DOT regulations or not, the more designed to a price point, the less overengineering, the less performance, etc.

For a safety item that not only you need but your fellow drivers on the road rely upon you doing the right thing, I wouldnt trust walmart junk.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Absolute end all, be all top of the line name brand isnt a key determinant, and often those brands capitalize on loyalty.

But Walmart, Chinese, etc. coming together with a safety item like a tire is scary. DOT regulations or not, the more designed to a price point, the less overengineering, the less performance, etc.

For a safety item that not only you need but your fellow drivers on the road rely upon you doing the right thing, I wouldnt trust walmart junk.

Again,the tires are usually made by a big name brand such as Goodyear or Cooper,tires that are usually far from junk.

There was also no mention of the tires being made by a Chinese company.Goodyear/Kelly is an American company.

Being a name brand doesnt mean anything,Firestone has shown this.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

Again,the tires are usually made by a big name brand such as Goodyear or Cooper,tires that are usually far from junk.

There was also no mention of the tires being made by a Chinese company.Goodyear/Kelly is an American company.

Doesnt mean that American companies dont offshore manufacturing of some parts, especially loss leader parts.

Do you really think that the engineering and materials are the same between the top of the line tires and the bottom of the barrel ones?

Doesnt mean that American companies dont offshore manufacturing of some parts, especially loss leader parts.

Do you really think that the engineering and materials are the same between the top of the line tires and the bottom of the barrel ones?

Do you really think that having an extra sipe on brand X will make it a better tire than their lower cost version? In many ways,tires are like oil.

One brand may have an additive that another doesnt but when compared,they both do the same job and no one can tell a difference.

I dont know if the materials are the same but it is quite common for companies to outsource work.The oil we use comes from other countries and may even be processed in other countries.Does that mean that the oil is bad?

How many of the tires bought in the US are actually made here? Even if they are,that doesnt mean they are better than others.

Firestone was and is a big name but they had tires the came apart.Being a name brand doesnt mean they are better.

Well has anyone gone to Walmart dot com and saw there tires they have some top tier tires. The kellys I'm getting aren't even in stores just online. I agree buying tires is important and one should by GOOD tires not name brand but GOOD. That's like saying we should all buy name brand food. Food is important and if made wrong can make you sick or kill you but plenty of store brand foods are just as good. Heck great value milk and print farms is the same exact thing. I wouldn't but nankangs or nothing like that but kellys don't worry me from the little bit I do know

Earlier this year, I bought one Douglas tire for my Sonata. It was used, but was like new and had a very recent production date. I was surprised to see it was made in the USA.

To the OP- did any of the online info you read say where the tires you ordered are made? I wonder if WM has a customer service number you could call to find out.

Also, what is the specific model/size you ordered?

I definitely avoid Chinese tires and try to avoid WM, but not all WM's products are low-quality and imported.

Having said that, I would try to find out the country of origin on that set of tires before I bought them. I won't buy Chinese tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back