choice of tires

So, I am shopping for a set of tires for my 98 Mustang base model with v/6, so no hot rod or racer. Wally World has either a Douglas all season 94H or a Kumho all season 95V rated tire for the same price. So which would you guys choose. I think I would lean to the Kumho, right ??

The Goodyears/Dougless will probably ride better while the Kumho's might off a touch crisper cornering. I would get the Kumho's. It is a Korean tire brand if that bothers you.

Douglas has some good reviews. I would check the Kumho tire reviews there and tirerack.com. That would give you an idea of how they perform.

Bought Kumho's for mom's 2011 RAV4 (4 cyl) last fall, had a great price @ Pep Boys, tires seem perfectly fine, no issues, would buy them again in future.

I've used each of those tire brands on Subaru and GM vehicles and liked both.

Are they the same mileage, wear and traction ratings (if that really means much in this price range)?

Kumho if I had to choose between those. Seen too many Douglas tires fail. If the above is correct about them being made by Goodyear then that alone says avoid.
The set of Douglas tires I have has 51 PSI MAX. I don't go beyond that. That is why it never failed on me.;)

So, I am shopping for a set of tires for my 98 Mustang base model with v/6, so no hot rod or racer. Wally World has either a Douglas all season 94H or a Kumho all season 95V rated tire for the same price. So which would you guys choose. I think I would lean to the Kumho, right ??
Which ever you choose, both good tires. After the installation is done...Before you driver off....CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURE. Most installers over inflate the tires.

Also, look for a shop that does road force balancing(RFB). Maybe I am being over cautious but I can't seem to fine anyone/any shop in my area that can perform a regular spin balance for to save their ***.

Now I have found a guy(I call friend) that only performs RFBs so he gets all of mine & my buddies business for tire installation regardless where I/we buy our tires. I don't even mess with other shops any longer.

^^^Yeah, sadly when I just receive a spin balance for my tires and even I go back to that same shop for a rebalance, my tires are still out of balance. Either the techs don’t know how to balance a tire or(most likely) the balance machine has not been calibrated. Now that I go to the guy with the Hunter 9000 RFB...Problem solved! So RFB is all I will accept from now on.

^^^Yeah, sadly when I just receive a spin balance for my tires and even I go back to that same shop for a rebalance, my tires are still out of balance. Either the techs don’t know how to balance a tire or(most likely) the balance machine has not been calibrated. Now that I go to the guy with the Hunter 9000 RFB...Problem solved! So RFB is all I will accept from now on.
That is interesting. We charge extra for road force at my dealership. Only ones we do road force on is huge truck tires. I’ve done tons of just spin balance and never had a come back for a balance issue. We did have one come back though not mine but someone ended up leaving a wheel loose which the customer thought was a balance issue. A problem I see out of most techs is using the wrong type of weights on the wheels. And that’s a mistake I made when I started out too so I don’t fault them completely. Like we get people all the time using aluminum weights on steel wheels. Also people not getting the wheel completely straight lined up either.

It’s pretty terrible in my experience.
Now I just buy the tires that I want and have them shipped to this guy that I was referring to earlier. He is also a TR recommend installer and will travel as well...which is how we met.

I’ve had other local TR recommend installers balance my Pirelli’s only to end up taking my car to this guy for a RFB. He laughs when he sees how poorly of a job they did and explains to me the difference.

He blames the equipment more than the tech but mostly he suspects that their balancing machine is out of calibration or they didn’t do it that morning.

I'm looking for a set of tires for a 2001 V6 Mustang right now. The size is 225/55r16's and I was leaning towards buying Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S or General Altimax RT43. The Generals are $20 more a tire and I know Generals are good, but I have never had Uniroyals before so I'm not so sure about them.

Now after reading this I'm looking at The Kumho Solus TA31 that has an even lower price.

Tiger Paw Touring are decent as are AltiMAX RT43

Price is only one factor when looking for tires. Also consider how & where you drive your car, & how often will you be driving it etc.
What weather conditions will these tires see?
What improvements would you like to feel/improve in your next tire, if any?(compared to your current tire)?
When I look for tires for a particular vehicle, I look for tires that will see the worst weather...or not!
Is it a daily driver or a garage queen?
Am I getting rid of the vehicle soon or keeping it for the long haul?
Look for tire reviews that have given the owner a good result over the longevity. Not tires that start to have issues after 15,000-20,000 miles and get worst from there.

I already know that any tire will be fine on a nice sunny day in JULY. But when the weather turns foul, inexpensive tires(tires that are only black & round) can show their true colors.

Last edited:
Just had 4 new RT43 ( H- rated ) 185/65-15 that replaced the winter tires with studs . Ah silence .

Back