Tirerack has been bought out by Discount Tire sadly.

Just about all local tire places will match TR‘s online prices these days. TR no longer holds any pricing advantage these days. I used TR once about 20 years ago. The issue I encountered is the quality of their installers, or rather, a lack of. All 4 wheels were damaged and customer service is nonexistent post sale. Since I am fortunate enough to have DT stores locally, I simply go to them. While the quality of installation can vary depending on the individual tech that happen to be assigned to your vehicle, the post sale service is always there. So in my opinion, it is a good acquisition and should benefit the consumers.

Just about all local tire places will match TR‘s online prices these days. TR no longer holds any pricing advantage these days. I used TR once about 20 years ago. The issue I encountered is the quality of their installers, or rather, a lack of. All 4 wheels were damaged and customer service is nonexistent post sale. Since I am fortunate enough to have DT stores locally, I simply go to them. While the quality of installation can vary depending on the individual tech that happen to be assigned to your vehicle, the post sale service is always there. So in my opinion, it is a good acquisition and should benefit the consumers.
That was my last problem with the TR. Over the years I had purchased quite a few times from them, as well as other family members. But the last time I went with one of their approved installers, what I got were scratched wheels, forgot to put in new valve stems and they tried to sell me a camber kit I didn't need. The valve stems were right on their site that they did them with every tire install and I even mentioned it as reminder since I had a slow leak in one. I WAS looking forward to that being solved. Nope.

Before I even went I made sure my wheels were clean so they could see they were in nearly new condition. That didn't matter. They weren't in like-new condition after that. And even though I knew my aligment specs likely weren't perfect, I had a feeling they were within spec. After I declined their upsell I went to a buddy of mine who ran a shop out of his house. We put on his measuring tools and sure enough it was within spec.

Obviously it was quite infuriating so when I went to the web-site where you put in your review it was promptly taken down - twice. No more Tire Rack for me. The good news is, almost without exception people have only said positive things about the Discount Tire closest to me.

Over many years I've ordered many tires from both TR and DTD. Excellent experience with both. A few years ago DTD offered free shipping while TR charged for shipping. Then TR offered free shipping on their tires.

Competition is a good thing so I kind of hate to see this merger. Although there are still many online tire retailers that will keep prices competitive. Simple Tire is one that has come on strong within the past year.

Less competition and higher prices, it's what makes consolidation great for business and not so great for consumers. As with any merger or buyout expect to see some employees made redundant as well.

While I love the great resource TR offers in information on tires, I have never bought tires from them.

After all is added up, I've never found their prices to be competitive. And I've always been bothered by the idea of having a tire shop install tires that have been bought somewhere else. How much customer loyalty will they have to a customer that clearly has no loyalty to the shop?

Being a regular DT customer, now I won't feel so bad about using the DT resources for research.

In the past, I’ve always found Discount Tire to be cheaper once shipping is added.

Also it’s been a good while ago, but I got very upset with Tire Rack censoring reviews of faulty tires I purchased. I am 100% convinced there was a manufacturing defect as I noticed other reviewers with the same problem (low mileage blowouts) and tire size. My review was rejected and the other reviews I noticed were removed shortly thereafter.

I bought from both in the last several years

Tires mounted on wheels from TR no issues. Wheels from TR. springs from TR. set of tires from TR.

Wheels and tires mounted from local DT. Tires from local DT.

Been just fine all places.

To get cheaper you have to hunt and search or buy from supplier direct. I’m guessing I will be used DT from now on since TR will be gone.

We have many places to choose from. That tells you the profits in the tire business. The more business that go up the more money there is in it but that just lessens the volume for all the tire places each

Another common issue that I have seen on multiple car forums about Tire Rack is about the TPMS sensors. Lots of consumers do not have a good understanding of how these sensors work and are not aware that either the sensors need to be programmed or the vehicle need to relearn the sensors. This is especially true for people who purchased a complete wheel/tire/TPMS package from Tire Rack thinking that they can just plug and play their new setup onto their cars. This is another advantage in buying tires locally to avoid TPMS related issues.

I don't see Tire Rack and Discount Tire being real competitors. You have folks who buy their tires in person and you have folks who buy tires online. I'll bet you very few people mix and match (and "car people" like members here are not your average consumer) buying online vs in-store.

And FWIW, I just compared some tires' prices between the two and Discount Tire was lower, but doesn't include the "protection" plan. I'd also feel guilty buying tires online and asking a "local" place to install them. I saw some posts earlier about "supporting" your local shops by having them do the installation after the tires were bought online.... Huh ?!?! 😳 🤷‍♂️

Tirerack isn't what it once was in terms of inventory and price compared to the competition anymore. I've used discount tire the last several tire purchases. They've both been around for a long time and I assure you a decade ago there is no way I'd have considered discount tire.

I buy all my tires from Discount tire. They have the best prices but lately they just don't seem to be able to balance tires on the 1st try. They are still very courteous and try hard to make customers satisfied. I would hope Tire Rack would stay the same (or merge with the online Discount tire) but use Discount Tire stores as auth installers.

Like some others mention, TireRack has an awesome website for researching tires and wheels. You can find all the specs and many tire test/shootout results that they do. I’ve bought several wheel/tire sets from them in the past already mounted/balanced and shipped to my door…
In the last two years I’ve been dealing with my local Discount/America’s Tire. The manager there is one of the coolest! I do my research first and tell him exactly what I’m looking for and he always beats the online or any shop price out the door for me…
So for me, Discount Tire and TireRack together might just be a win win. Hopefully the TireRack website doesn’t change.

only ordered from TR once, no complaints,
needed Tires for my Neon, Nearest DT location over an hour away...
Family had had good experiences getting tires at the local Ford Dealer, so I went with them.
once I'd decided on a tire (Pirelli P4), Ford Could get them, but it'd take up to 2 weeks. TR had them in stock, ready to ship from their South Bend HQ (3-ish hrs away). they had them delivered to the Ford Dealer in a day or 2. Ford Charged me $12.xx/tire for mounting and balancing.

Tire Purchases since them have been at a Local Indie.
Though Discount did open a store right in front of my work a couple years back.

Nearest DT location over an hour away...

Tire Purchases since them have been at a Local Indie.
Though Discount did open a store right in front of my work a couple years back.
I was going to say, there's a DT in Lima now, not an hour away.... 😉 I used to buy my tires at Easter Tire. Doesn't look like they're around anymore though.

What, Discount Tire opening or Easter Tire going away ? Pretty sure you mean Easter Tire closing 'cause I'm guessing DT has only been there a few years at most.

Back