Tirerack has been bought out by Discount Tire sadly.

Both in my experience have been great companies. DT has done several sets for me and were super helpful when i didnt like a set they installed on my car; they honored their satisfaction guarantee. TR has always done me right - I’ve ordered tires, wheels, and back in the day tires mounted on oem takeoffs. Tire racks website and community review support and objective testing comparisons is the gold standard.

I got some good deals from DTD especially with their credit card. Prices at TR were a bit more BUT include road hazard where DTD was extra making almost the same. TR also has a shipping warehouse in CT. Tires I ordered were at my house next day via UPS. I like all the user reviews but especially all the testing and video's they do with comparisons. I often send the video links to people. I hope that doesn't change.

Customer Service at TR has been great when I had issues of not reaching mileage warranty and recently a concern with my Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. They were on my car when I bought it and probably not purchased from TR. They were still helpful to get issue resolved.

I also praise to parents of new drivers to get involved and sign up their new drivers with StreetSurvival.org through TireRack and local sports car clubs. Excellent hands on learning, I hope that continues.

Tirerack is what made me a believer in buying tires online. The product / size selection was incredible, this is back in the early-mid 2000's when I'd started ordering from them. When you went to a local tire store, you were limited to what was on the shelf (in your size) or whatever the salesman wanted to sell you. Tirerack always had lower prices than any local store I could find.

Somewhere around 2010-2012ish I discovered Discount Tire Direct, and for a time, they almost always had better prices because they had free shipping. So I'd ordered a couple sets from them. Later on, Tirerack introduced free shipping, so it was a direct comparison instead of doing the math, and I found the prices comparable-- sometimes DTD was cheaper, other times Tirerack. If the prices were the same, I'd always use Tirerack since they included a road hazard guarantee, and I believe in supporting the "little guy."

In the last decade or so I've noticed DTD has a TON of east-asian off-brands, though they do carry a decent selection of what I consider "normal tires". While Tirerack does sell some lesser known import tires, they've always had a better selection of the tires I'd be willing to buy.

With the merger, I hope they don't fill their site with DTD-exclusive tires-- those brands owned by Discount Tires (Arizonian comes to mind) but made in east asian or domestic factories to a price point. I've always considered Discount Tire as the Walmart of tires-- they sell some good brands, but most of what they sell is discount stuff to an audience that knows nothing about tires and don't care about quality or what name is on them.

What will the new company name possibly be, Discount Rack?
Now you're coming up with proposed merger names?

I remember one of my favorites back in the day was Fairchild and Honeywell. New name would be Farewell Honeychild.

I used Tirerack once, but then pretty much all the local chains price match and by the time you factor in mounting and balancing and better road hazard warranty, free rotation/balancing, buying locally was always better.

I wouldn't even let them put air in my tires. They have a reputation that's worse than Monroe. No discount on their tires, same as tirerack now. And I'm betting now both sites prices will be raised, because now they can.

AND:
Discount Tire is involved in a massive lawsuit here in NY. They inspected a vehicle and passed it, but they just slapped a sticker on it.

Limo crashed because it was in total disrepair, and 20 people died as a result. They are going to pay millions for those suits from families of the victims.

I've been using TireRack for years, If this buyout ends well for TR costumers.....I'll be surprised.

Never cared for Discount Tire as the locations local to me are over & beyond swamped & everytime I did wait or leave my vehicle.....Always some kind of issue.

I've used and continue to buy from(not DT Stores) but DTD & TR for wheels, tires, brakes(TR) and tire/wheel packages over the past 20 years with great success. I've used other online tire retailers as well with great success too. TreadDepot was one of my favorite as well but sadly they went out of business. Time will tell how well this turns out.

....AND:
Discount Tire is involved in a massive lawsuit here in NY. They inspected a vehicle and passed it, but they just slapped a sticker on it....
According to the DT/AT store listing linked, they have 'zero' stores in NY State. Same for rest of the NE excepting one store in western Pa. And, DT/AT don't do vehicle inspections, currently tire sales and service only. You must be confusing them with some other tire store chain. Mega Lo Mart Tire perhaps.

Last edited:
According to the DT/AT store listing linked, they have 'zero' stores in NY State. Same for rest of the NE excepting one store in western Pa. And, DT/AT don't do vehicle inspections, currently tire sales and service only. You must be confusing them with some other tire store chain. Mega Lo Mart Tire perhaps.

Mavis Discount Tire was the firm that inspected the limo. Pretty sure they’re related in no way to Discount Tire.

Mavis Discount Tire was the firm that inspected the limo. Pretty sure they’re related in no way to Discount Tire.
Yes, 100% positive no relation to DT/AT. But someone once said, never let facts get in the way of a good tale. As for the possible other tire sales chain I mentioned, fictious. But, related to screen/display name of the commenter. :)

Also, I'm familiar with limo crash and the site area where it occurred. Bottom of a relatively long steep hill. But I digress. Any relation to DT/AT, pure fiction.

In a lot of respects, this is a match made in heaven.

Tire Rack is a 100% mailorder place where Discount Tire is nearly 100% a store based retailer. Not only would there be warehouses closer together, making more products available at the retail level, but the shipping distances would be shorter.

Tire Rack's shortcoming is that the customer has to find a place to get the tires mounted. Yes, they had some local joints that would come out and mount tires at your house, but those places had limitations.

Put together, Tire Rack would now have a dedicated place where tires could be sent and mounted, The only hiccup is where there aren't Discount stores in the area - and in that case, things don't change at all!

I don’t like Discount Tire because they won’t ship to home whereas Tire Rack will I hope they won’t be changing that. At least if they do I can’t find out how to do it. And we aren’t allowed to have anything shipped to my work unless it’s ordered by the dealership so I’d be out of luck there.

Never cared for Discount Tire as the locations local to me are over & beyond swamped & everytime I did wait or leave my vehicle.....Always some kind of issue.
I suspect the issue is they chronically underpay their mechanics and can't get enough staff.

I've been using TireRack for years, If this buyout ends well for TR costumers.....I'll be surprised.

My DT 40 miles east was just getting too busy as that area developed … last couple times I went 50 miles west and found a much better store … (due to the construction - same travel time, safer) …
Unfortunately we have one local store left who is geared for large contractors - and he’s just too expensive …

I don’t like Discount Tire because they won’t ship to home whereas Tire Rack will I hope they won’t be changing that. At least if they do I can’t find out how to do it. And we aren’t allowed to have anything shipped to my work unless it’s ordered by the dealership so I’d be out of luck there.
Their online arm sells direct to consumers with home delivery. Www.discounttiredirect.com

If tirerack keeps an online presence it will take most customers a few years to figure out things have changed.

This is GREAT news!

I never had any issue with either frankly but my service at DT has been head and shoulders above any other automotive service. And frankly my wife can go in there by herself and feel comfortable and not get the nasty female rush.

Funny thing just yesterday we were in the north Bellingham store to get her snows on (snowing right now). We are going to write them a letter because the service and care was so excellent. Not only was the manager sharp and super informative he was a great guy to chat with. Funny like 4 old timer car dudes came in just to chat with him.

But this experience is just not one store but 3 others. I bet they up the game across the nation because they know how.

EDIT: If they start jacking prices up way beyond inflation now, my views will be hardened.

Last edited:
Back