Tirerack has been bought out by Discount Tire sadly.

I don’t like Discount Tire because they won’t ship to home whereas Tire Rack will I hope they won’t be changing that. At least if they do I can’t find out how to do it. And we aren’t allowed to have anything shipped to my work unless it’s ordered by the dealership so I’d be out of luck there.

As others have said, Discount Tires online sales, Discount Tire Direct does ship to home. Got a pair of tires delivered by them just two weeks ago... And have had multiple other sets of tires and wheels delivered in the past. Same as Tirerack, who I have also used.

According to the DT/AT store listing linked, they have 'zero' stores in NY State. Same for rest of the NE excepting one store in western Pa. And, DT/AT don't do vehicle inspections, currently tire sales and service only. You must be confusing them with some other tire store chain. Mega Lo Mart Tire perhaps.

Mavis Discount Tire was the firm that inspected the limo. Pretty sure they’re related in no way to Discount Tire.

I got "Mavis Discount tire" Confused with "Discount Tire". Shows you how much attention I gave the store when I passed it on State Street / Central Ave.

And yes, Mavis is super fuc$ed.

I got "Mavis Discount tire" Confused with "Discount Tire". Shows you how much attention I gave the store when I passed it on State Street / Central Ave.

And yes, Mavis is super fuc$ed.
The Mavis on Central Ave (just up from Lark, not the one across from Armory Jeep) is the one that tried to rip me off for a battery. Never go there, I've had great luck with the pepboys over by Gateway Diner though, that's usually where I go for tire mounting/rotations/etc. They're always great.

I don't think I've been on that specific road where the limo crash happened, but I have to say, that area is absolutely beautiful country. The wife and I always take I-86/I-88 (I-90 is faster but tolled heavily and less scenic) when we travel to VT a couple times a year. We've done it so many times we have our favorite places to stop; the Walmart in Cobleskill is a mandatory stop (we have 4 kids so gas station snacks / drinks tend to be cost prohibitive). Easy access and RT 7 has a good variety of fast food places, gas stations and everything else you'd need after driving 12+ hours. I've driven all over the country and that I-88 route from Albany to perhaps Binghamptom is one of my favorites. (apologies for the slight thread detour)

Going to DT is like punishment. So I stick to Costco. I guess few times I bought tires from TR won’t happen again. Too bad, they had good selection of tires for track.

Going to USA is like punishment..
Oh wait maybe they arent all the same.. hmmm... might apply to DT too. :unsure::whistle:

Its like any chain.. there might be good and bad costco tire depts too....

.....Its like any chain.. there might be good and bad costco tire depts too....
Very true. Fwiw, I've read of negative experiences at costco on this sub forum several times.

My most recent DT tire purchase experience a year ago, I never stepped foot in the store (a newer one), ~200 mi from my residence. For a family member, I knew what tire I wanted to purchase, had the lowest price I could find, and dealt with the sales associate by phone. He matched the lowest price and I paid with my DT CC to get the rebate promo at the time and pay over 6 months no interest. He emailed me the detailed invoice. Couldn't have gone smoother. Slowest part, tire had to be ordered (knew up front). Took a few days but faster than they estimated at the time. In dealing with half dozen DT stores over 17 years, pretty typical experience in these parts.

I have found that in more recent years, calling ahead and making an appointment for rotations/balance to be beneficial in saving time. Not saying DT is perfect (don't know who is), however 'IME' they have delivered a consistently high level of service, at the time of sale and after the sale maintenance.

I just recently bought a set of tires from Discount Tire Direct because they had the best prices of any place I shopped. They offered a 10% military discount and that put them at the top of the price list.

Out of curiosity I checked prices at my local Sam's club and I was surprised to see that Sam's was only $2 more per tire. I will buy my tires from Sam's from now on. I don't have to wait for delivery or worry about them being damaged in shipping. Sam's can order just about anything I'd want and their prices are good.
Yeah, agree.
I guess for more then a decade? I bought from DiscountTireDirect.com but wasn't feeling the love the last few years. Over time the "discounts" seem to be less and less.
Anyway, literally just months ago I bought 4 new 20 inch tires for my Traverse from Costco. I decided to go the OEM ones, anyway, Discount Tire Direct didnt come close in price from any tire they offered in eluding the OEMs. (I'm also a Sams Club Member)
Even better Costco price was right up front with the mounting, balancing AND pressure sensor rebuilds. All one price, no extra costs.

BTW- The Costco price, complete with mounting balancing, sensors.. was best. I actually decided to join Costco based on this. Lack of better words they also seemed professional at Costco. No BS upsells ect. At my request they used stick on weights as I didnt want the balance weights clipped (hammered) onto my painted rims. The tires and rims on my Traverse are the optional 20 inch. Did a great job, no scraps or marks on the rims. The only negative was I had to wait an unreasonable amount of time from my appointment time for them to start the job. But stuff happens, they were overwhelmed.

Last edited:
For me, this just means that a competing retailer will now be subject to Discount's inventory management challenges. TR has always been reliable for me...I'll probably not waste my time on TR.com in the future.

I don’t like Discount Tire because they won’t ship to home whereas Tire Rack will I hope they won’t be changing that. At least if they do I can’t find out how to do it. And we aren’t allowed to have anything shipped to my work unless it’s ordered by the dealership so I’d be out of luck there.

DTD definitely ships to home. I've ordered tires from them and they shipped to home with no problems. However, there are no DT stores anywhere nearby since they're afraid of the northeast :unsure:

In a lot of respects, this is a match made in heaven.

Tire Rack is a 100% mailorder place where Discount Tire is nearly 100% a store based retailer. Not only would there be warehouses closer together, making more products available at the retail level, but the shipping distances would be shorter.

Tire Rack's shortcoming is that the customer has to find a place to get the tires mounted. Yes, they had some local joints that would come out and mount tires at your house, but those places had limitations.

Put together, Tire Rack would now have a dedicated place where tires could be sent and mounted, The only hiccup is where there aren't Discount stores in the area - and in that case, things don't change at all!

So DTD is a negligible amount of DT's business? :unsure:

Going to USA is like punishment..
Oh wait maybe they arent all the same.. hmmm... might apply to DT too. :unsure::whistle:

Its like any chain.. there might be good and bad costco tire depts too....
I see same people in Costco working for years. They retain workers much better as they offer much more.
DT? It is always someone new. But things I experienced in DT are not per se treatment of a customer (I really don’t care about whether someone is going to run out to greet me. I really don’t need attention) but actual service. They forgot several times to put TPMS on wheels. They tried to convince me for 2 months my TPMS module on VW was bad, when their sensors were (indication to them should be that winter tires they took off had perfectly working sensors while new they installed on summer tires didn’t work). Trying to sell me all season tires as winter tires (this was conversation I think my brain never recovered from). Last intellectual exercise I had with them was last month when I went to check whether they can order Continental Viking 7 in 215/65 R16 size for Tiguan. Manager said they don’t make that size, but they do in 17” size for Tiguan. I said I need 16, to which he answered: but why not getting in 17?
Ordered Blizzak WS90 on Costco web site, installed by guy that works there since I remember first time buying tires at that Costco. Ate some pepperoni pizza, bought bottle of Glenfiddich and some strawberries, and was out.

I wouldn't even let them put air in my tires. They have a reputation that's worse than Monroe. No discount on their tires, same as tirerack now. And I'm betting now both sites prices will be raised, because now they can.

AND:
Discount Tire is involved in a massive lawsuit here in NY. They inspected a vehicle and passed it, but they just slapped a sticker on it.

Limo crashed because it was in total disrepair, and 20 people died as a result. They are going to pay millions for those suits from families of the victims.
Not sure why it’s representative of the whole company being trash just because one idiot passed an inspection

I gave up drinking and chasing women and in one weeks time I was able to buy my own equipment :)

Attachments

• balancer.JPG
    balancer.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tool 2.JPG
    tool 2.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
mavis discount tire are the guys who bought out half of NTB’s operations

why would you ever expect a franchise to be consistent

I think Discount Tire's service and prices are outstanding, and Tire Rack hasn't been much of a price advantage lately. I recently bought $1000 set of tires and found DT the best deal around, and after all rebates and discounts, and savings, I saved maybe 30-40% at DT....

Back