My latest Discount Tire purchase experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was needing new tires for my 01 Tacoma, as they were getting close to the wear bars. Had ~54k and 5+ years on a set of 265/70/16 60k Uniroyal Laredo's.

-Started researching at Tire Rack looking at the Laredo's which they had < 5 left (discontinued), and TR showed 4 other choices. One of the choices listed was the 60k Yoko Geolander H/T-S @ $104 each looked good. Shipped, no tax ~$513.

-Checked Treadepot, they don't sell Yoko's. Looked at the 60K General Grabber HTS, @ $109 each -$25 instant rebate. Shipped + tax ~$523. Not bad.

-At Discount Tire Direct, Yoko's @ $124 each. Free shipping, no tax, $496 total. Best so far. At Discount Tire website however, they were $148 each or $714 installed with new valves, LT balance, prorated road hazard tax, envir, and disposal. Highest price by far. Knew that both DT/DTD also had a $40 rebate on Yoko's.

-Stopped at Tire Kingdom on the way to DT, and got a price quote of $652 including all the same things as DT.

Happened to get the manager at DT to wait on me and told him sharpen his pencil, he looks the screen and says ~$714. I shook my head and said nah, He said " who am I competing against" I said "yourself", and told him the DTD price. His first comment was that couldn't be right and asked me if I had the printout, I didn't ( knew they had internet access) but he said he would go to the DTD site and sure enough that was the price. Told him I could get a comparable valves, lifetime balance install for ~$75 at Wally, which was true, but I only did it to have something to compare it to.

Finally he says how about $115 each or $460 plus with valves, LT balance, prorated rh, envir, fee and tax, $564 installed. SOLD! Then he says, and you won't have to be concerned with a Wally install.
lol.gif
Oh, that didn't include the $40 rebate. Installed and out in no time.

Interestingly, the price of the Geo H/T-S's now on DT for my local store is $122 or ~$599 installed. I have a feeling that the manager changed the price to bring it in line with DTD.

This is the fifth set of tires I've purchased from DT and always been satisfied with the service and price. As evidenced here though, to assure your best price it's always a good idea to do your research first and use DT's online price only as a starting point. Bring printouts if need be.

Comments or questions?

Indeed, great service as always! I've found now, from the last 3 tire purchases, that Discount is VERY forgiving with pricing - find a lower price somewhere, and they'll beat it. My brother even got them to throw in the certificates for free replacement for free a few weeks ago, on a set of Triple Treads.

Yeah, I followed a similar procedure a couple of years ago when I purchased a set of Gen HP's. Treadepot had free shipping (IIRC no tax) at the time and there was a $50 Visa gift card promo with the purchase of a set of HP's.

DT didn't have any General's on there website at the time. Went to the store with the Treadepot price and Wally install. Manager went to the Treadepot website, confirmed the price, and beat it. Had the tires in store in 48hr's.

DT will try to win your business (says they won't be undersold), but it's the super service after the sale that also keeps me coming back.

Didn't get the cert's this time, but did on my last set of BFG Traction T/A.'s. They gave me a nice credit on some Yoko 520's that didn't get the stated treadwear level, so I went for the cert's.

So you went with the Geolandar HT, right? How do they ride? I was thinking of getting those.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
So you went with the Geolandar HT, right? How do they ride? I was thinking of getting those.
Of course, they're brand new but they ride smooth. FWIW, they had decent rating on TR. I was looking for something similar to the Laredo's, not too agressive a tread since it sees primarily highway miles. The H/T-S looked to be a good match.

They also have a Yoko Geo A/T-S (all terrain), also TR recommended, that has a bit more agressive tread.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Of course, they're brand new but they ride smooth, FWIW, they had decent rating on TR. I was looking for something similar to the Laredo's, not too agreesive a tread since it sees primarily highway miles.

They also have a Yoko Geo A/T-s (all terrain) that has a bit more agressive tread.

When I was doing research, I noticed that Yokohama said the HT was somewhat offroad capable, which was a plus for me, but my tire shop couldn't get any in stock. Glad to hear you've got a good set of rubber.

I did the price matching and got a good deal but only discovered discount tire direct afterwards! Plus they don't charge sales tax and would even ship to your local discount tire. So potentially more savings that way.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
I did the price matching and got a good deal but only discovered discount tire direct afterwards! Plus they don't charge sales tax and would even ship to your local discount tire. So potentially more savings that way.
Correct. It may have been your post on a previous thread I read talking about DTD and the no sales tax deal. Thing is they are the basically the same company and the price quote from DTD that I had, included no tax. So, the manager went ahead and matched the DTD price even while including tax on the tires and LT balance and installation. Basically beating the price.

Doubt seriously he would have done the installation any cheaper (or as cheaply) had I ordered the tires and had them delivered to his store, especially when he had them on hand and I could buy them that day. Bird in the hand and all.

got 3 sets of Michelin LTX M/S2's last month at DTD.

Super prices, 70.00 Michelin rebate, no tax, free shipping, and a 15.00 per tire mounting balance and new stems even for my one tonner vans!

I don't know why everyone doesn't buy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back