Tirerack has been bought out by Discount Tire sadly.

After being a tirerack customer and installer since 2004, it makes me very sad they sold out to Discount Tire. I find it hard to believe that will be better, so I'll just wait and see.

Well if the service goes poorly, my business will be found elsewhere. I'm sure there will be plenty of horror stories around here if it does.
For now, I'll keep the faith. I haven't purchased tires anywhere else other than T-R for 15 years.

I just recently bought a set of tires from Discount Tire Direct because they had the best prices of any place I shopped. They offered a 10% military discount and that put them at the top of the price list.

Out of curiosity I checked prices at my local Sam's club and I was surprised to see that Sam's was only $2 more per tire. I will buy my tires from Sam's from now on. I don't have to wait for delivery or worry about them being damaged in shipping. Sam's can order just about anything I'd want and their prices are good.

What happens now? Does TireRack become Discount Tire's new warehouse?

I bought my tires from Tire Rack and had a good experience. Before I ordered, I asked customer support what was the date code for the tires I wanted. They said that they were recently made and sure enough, the tires I received were 3 months old.

I doubt any cashier at Discount Store would know

Who remembers Advance Auto's 40% off coupons before they bought Carquest?

I bought a single pair of tires from TR back in 2005 and have never again. Their prices haven't been competitive for the cheap stuff I run.

I only use/used TR for tire research purposes, and it is excellent in that respect. Hope that doesn't change. Never found their prices to be ones I could use for a price match at b&m DT. Been buying from DT since 2004, I don't expect that to change as I've had good experiences.

I would think TR would be more directly related to and overlap with the DTD sales model, online sales. One less competitor in the trade. Should be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
The local Discount Tire store would be the last place I would go for tires. I've had to clean up some of their work, which includes slobbing bead sealer all over everything when not even needed. SOP
I have been one of the top-rated tire installers for the Tirerack in my state for 18 years now.

Last edited:
I've bought many tires from TR. They have been easy to deal with. Switched to DT a couple of years ago and my experience there has been very satisfactory. I think DT prices are lower than TR.

What will the new company name possibly be, Discount Rack?

I hope they keep the TR buyers' reviews.

DT seems to be allergic to the east coast, and TR has a Delaware warehouse. At the bottom of that article, there is a link to another article saying that DT will sell wipers, too.

Also remember that DTD is run separately even though it is owned by DT. It's possible that the TR acquisition will primarily affect DTD, possibly using TR as their online arm, while DT itself focuses on in-store tires.

TR has much more information, reviews, comparison, the tire performance categories, etc. If you need wheels, TR wins hands down.

DT went downhill once the founder died :(

Wow, I wlaways use the Rack as the price match when I buy rubber. Wheel Works (Firestone) always matches them or Costco for me, plus a little more. My guess is they are buying the customer base. Consolidation is the name of the game in business.

I've bought from both - including Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct on the Discount side. Much prefer the online setup of Tirerack, and their wheel selection is better from my perspective. When Tirerack opened their distribution center less than 2 miles from my office, that made things even better.

Flip side, DTD has had tires that Tirerack did not, and I just ordered a pair and they came as expected recently.

Hope they both stay in their "flavor".

So basically-many who are "sad to see them go" never bought anything from them, but used them to get the tires cheaper elsewhere. And also used their data base of information. Could be part of the reason(s)..don't ya think?

Last edited:
DT seems to be allergic to the east coast......
I'd say more accurately, specifically staying out of the North East. They've got stores on the east coast in Virginia and North Carolina and Georgia though not "the coast" per se of the latter. Without going into detail, I understand why to this point the NE hasn't been on their radar for b&m DT stores.

I've not seen DT go "downhill" since the founder died. IME at a few stores, service has stayed the same. No doubt, the sales/promos haven't been as aggressive. But that's not the same as saying entire DT chain has gone downhill. And if one has never done any business with a DT store, not sure how that aspect could be rated. As for DT promos, like AAP I've never felt entitled to discounts/promos having to be the same for eternity. Come to think of it, I'm not aware of an establishment that has done that.

Last edited:
Discount Tire in my home town has always been wonderful. They even price matched a set of Toyo R888 race tires for my Mazda Rx-7. The only time I interacted with Tire Rack was whdn I worked for a small dealership. The owner would order tires for trade-in vehicles and they would be mounted at the shop.

I have bought multiple sets of tires and wheels from Tirerack, for our autoX and hillclimb cars over the past 8 years. On the order of 2-3 sets of tires per year. They ship almost overnight and have good prices. I hope this merger doesn't screw things up, but I imagine it will.

Tirerack also sponsers the SCCA Autocross, time trial and other tour events. I wonder how that will be impacted.

i shop around + years ago DT was better priced than TR but i remember seeing the youngsters of DT owners moving in + deals were less, in the end its the delivered cost as my great local independent mounts + bal $10 each on the car or truck!! of course he gets all my work as well as girlfriends car, good work + fair prices + lets me supply parts if i want!! DT also offered mount + bal included with new wheels before TR i believe.

Discount Tire has treated me right every time. We don't even look elsewhere, we even buy the roadhazard from them, and boy do we need it.

Construction everywhere, lots of nails in the road.

I bought a set of tires from them once and had a local installer which is a family owned business mount them. His prices are within 10% of what the tirerack price would be so I go directly through him. Although I may be paying a bit more I feel supporting a local business is more important for me. They also do mechanical work and use OEM parts for our cars so they do any work which I cannot handle. Call me old school but I dont like the disappearance of all these mom and pop shops

Who remembers Advance Auto's 40% off coupons before they bought Carquest?

I bought a single pair of tires from TR back in 2005 and have never again. Their prices haven't been competitive for the cheap stuff I run.
And they were good on batteries

Back