Tirerack...has anyone bought from them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably will go local next time, but most likely not with Discount tire, I do think they're great....but 3 of their shops said the dry-rot on these current tires were nothing to worry about, whereas everyone here went all hysteric on me about them.

The tires have already shipped and I should have them by Friday....plus, I got the bill me later option which came with a cheaper annual percentage rate then what Discount tire was offering, IF I don't have them paid in full within 30 days that is....which I should. This way we can still take a good couple trips without spending our family fun time money on tires before summer even starts.

Quote:
but 3 of their shops said the dry-rot on these current tires were nothing to worry about,

Yeah....thats because they are not going to be behind the wheel when the tire separates at highway speed.

I had a Firestone FR-680 tire separate on me at 70 MPH and it was NOT a pleasant experience.
shocked2.gif
Luckily, there was very little traffic.

Originally Posted By: blackcherry06
...When I ordered tires for my Mazda, I had them shipped to work and then borrowed a truck to get them home...then hauled them to Discount Tire for mounting. I could've eliminated all that by just taking my quote to DT for price matching.

Actually, you could have avoided all of that by having TR drop ship the tires directly to the installer. Works for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
I probably will go local next time, but most likely not with Discount tire, I do think they're great....but 3 of their shops said the dry-rot on these current tires were nothing to worry about, whereas everyone here went all hysteric on me about them.

The tires have already shipped and I should have them by Friday....plus, I got the bill me later option which came with a cheaper annual percentage rate then what Discount tire was offering, IF I don't have them paid in full within 30 days that is....which I should. This way we can still take a good couple trips without spending our family fun time money on tires before summer even starts.

I'll be the exception and say that the dry rot pics I saw were NOTHING to be worried about. Your super close zoom made them look like original tires from a 1950's truck though. I have tires I put on in September '07 with 5000 miles on them with some dry rot cracks already. Maybe I should take a pic and let the BITOG'ers freak out about it!

BTW, I have not purchased from TireRack yet.

Frozenpilot....that's exactly what I was speculating too, but seeing as how I was immediately deemed an idiot, I figured it was all a mute point.

Truck needed new grippers anyways, as aside from dry-rot, tread is only good til end of summer. Spoke to Firestone shop today, I'm gonna have them mount the Revo's when they arrive probably tomorrow, they're gonna also supply lifetime balance/rotation and road hazard warranty. When I take the truck down there, I will let them tell me what they think of the current treads, if they deem unsafe, I'll trash em, if I can get two more months out of them I'll store the Revo's in the garage til fall.

This truck, being heavy, tends to wear out tires fast, so I'd like to get as much life as I can...safely of course.

Wal Mart Tire and Lube Express will do a mounting and lifetime rotate and balance for something like 12.50 per tire. While WalMart takes alot of knocks on this board, I've never had a problem with them on either their tires or their oil changes. They did a great job on my daughter's Nissan Xtera on a set of tires from Tirerack. No hassle at all.

I'm not saying this is the honest thing to do, but easiest way to get lowest out the door prices at say your local Belle Tire, Discount Tire, Etc is to get Them to match their out the door pricing with the price per tire from Tirerack.com

My friend's typically do that and never have an issue. I just usually go down to tirerack for my tires.

I only bought from them once but tires were installed on aluminium wheels by TireRack already. It was ok; so far so good. Now I'm not so happy with them because they increased prices and limited choices on their brake selection for my cars. I'm pretty [censored] about it because I was counting on them. Not a few months ago they had bigger selection of brakes and lower prices too. Now they only got rear pads for Elantra! And only one choice of very expensive rotors! What happened?!!

They usually list reccomended instalers in your area on their website. Give your zip code and they list them all, along with installation prices. Be sure to call to chosen installer before you buy to discuss details. I heard some listed reccomended installers actualy refuse to instal tires bought from TireRack!

Originally Posted By: oilnoob425
They usually list reccomended instalers in your area on their website. Give your zip code and they list them all, along with installation prices. Be sure to call to chosen installer before you buy to discuss details. I heard some listed reccomended installers actualy refuse to instal tires bought from TireRack!

I ran into that problem when I bought from TireRack. I called most of the listed installers in my area. Very few would actually do the install for their guaranteed prices and one owner had absolutely no idea he was listed on TireRack's website.

Before deciding to buy from TireRack I shopped tires locally and I was amazed at how little knowledge the local tire shops have about tires. All they seem to do is push one tire for all all-season applications and one truck tire for all truck applications. I was shopping for summer performance tires and one shop refused to quote me anything but an all-season tire even when I explained that I have dedicated snow tires.

I got my current Snow tires mounted on factory steel rims from them about 3.5 years ago.

Excellent prices and good service.

As long as the price with shipping was in range, I'd go back.

Take care, bill

You mean they just refused to honor their listed prices or refused to install TireRack tires period? If second then you should have called TireRack and told them about it. As for locals. I was doing service at GY Gemini and asked for tire reccomendation. They reccomended GY Regata instead of their most expensive Triple Treads. Who knows what their strategy is. If I was refused a tire in the shop I would give them attitude, but I doubt they will ever do it. All they need is money. What do they care what tires you want?

I ordered tires online from Walmart. They ship to your local store with no shipping charges (just have to wait for the container to ship).
Aloha

Ok, just got the Revo's mounted...wow, raised the truck up an inch.

Discount is now conveniently saying that those stress cracks on the Yok's are the worst they've seen and that they would've replaced them no questions asked...yeah, whatever! Went to 3 different stores, all said there wasn't a problem.

They did however mount/balance and supply lifetime warranty for the new Revo's free of charge AND applied credit towards my other truck that has the same [censored] Yok's....they will be replaced for $300 for tires that would normally cost $900....can't complain.

Used TR for my last set of tires. Had them delivered to a shop a couiple of blocks away. I went in and had them mounted for a very reasonable price (can't remember how much). Very easy and will continue to purchase that way.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
Discount is now conveniently saying that those stress cracks on the Yok's are the worst they've seen and that they would've replaced them no questions asked...yeah, whatever!

I don't understand what your problem is. You asked for opinions and was told. If you feel they are ok you can go ahead and use them. It's not like you were forbidden to use them. Noone holding gun to your head. But if something happens don't come here crying saying you werent't told. We are free to do what we want, but we are also the ones responsible for our own actions too.

We are all adult grown up people here (for the most part). But honestly you kinda act like a child who was told not eat candy before dinner and now you all rebelious about it:) That's how I see it. You did the right thing. Let it go now. Set of old tires is not a biggest loss in life. Good luck with your new tires.

Oilnoob425 - If you would read the quote currectly that you copied into your post...it says that Discount tire was NOW acknowledging that the tires were bad, simply because I DID go out and buy new tires, whereas before they were more then willing to send me out on the road with bad tires.

My only complaint here, Discount tire, had they been willing to acknowledge that they were bad before I wouldn't be beefed, but the fact that they nearly allowed someone to get killed is pretty bad.

I posted that comment more as a warning for others who may use Discount tire as their sole tire expert advise. And, btw, I had no problem with people telling me the tires were shot, it was the WAY people treated the issue as if I were an idiot right off the bat and was happy to have a dangerous vehicle on the road.

RF, what did you expect Discount Tire to tell you when you asked for their opinion? They essentially pleaded the Fifth Amendment and didn't want to incriminate themselves. The tires were five years old with horrible rot, and they simply assumed the worst, that you bought the tires from them. They are quite willing to take chances with your life.

Had they admitted the tires were shot, you could have immediately turned around and told them that, since they sold the tires to you, that you are entitled to a correction (warranty) for defect and workmanship of those tires.

Now that you walked in with new tires, asking to have them installed, they felt more comfortable admitting the tires were shot.

Ok...update...I'm VERY impressed with Discount tire.

The manager called and asked how the Revo's were working out for us, and that they decided that the credit of mounting/balancing the new tires (that I bought thru Tirerack) wasn't enough to making sure they would continue to get our business in the future.

In short matter of time, they had a new set of Revo's on order for my other truck that's showing defect in the Yokohama Geolander' AT II's as well..they will be mounting/balancing a new set of tires to the equivalent of $800-900 dollars when they arrive later this week.

I'm VERY impressed.

Here's pics of the new tires on my diesel

misc2006-1.jpg

misc2005-1.jpg

misc2002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back