Tire Traction Issue?

1640741777058.png

This happened to me a few times over the last few months and it is becoming an unpleasant issue.

When I make this left-turn in my 20 Ram 1500 5.7, about the halfway thru the turn, the rear-end will lose traction (slide-out). This happens in wet weather when the ground is wet; there does not need to be any standing water. During the most recent experience, the rear-end slid-out almost 45 degrees!

Each time it has happened, I was only accelerating gently and my speed was around 15 mph when I reached the halfway point of this turn. Yes, it only seems to happen at this intersection....possibly due to the slight incline?

My tires are the original Goodyears with 8/32" remaining. Tire pressures are 2 psi over the door jamb sticker. Truck bed is usually empty.

Is this a situation of driver error or do I need to consider different tires?

Last edited:
What type of Goodyear tires? If they are Eagle LS2, RSA, or Wrangler SRA I would definitely consider new tires. I have personally had these tires before and known several people with them that all had complaints about the wet traction. My neighbor has Wrangler SRAs on their 4x4 Grand Cherokee and it can't even make it up their steep driveway with a dusting of snow.

What type of Goodyear tires? If they are Eagle LS2, RSA, or Wrangler SRA I would definitely consider new tires. I have personally had these tires before and known several people with them that all had complaints about the wet traction. My neighbor has Wrangler SRAs on their 4x4 Grand Cherokee and it can't even make it up their steep driveway with a dusting of snow.
Fortitude HT, but FCA spec.

This might be something in the pavement. I have this issue at one particular place. Turning left out this Walmart in damp, or even cool conditions results in tire spin and skidding. Has happened to me in the Camry and both Tacoma's. New tires or not, doesn't matter. FWD will skid you almost into the curb, and RWD you're drifting. Really stinks as this is a busy intersection and you have to really scoot outta there.

It’s most likely your tires. I have a similar turn except it’s from a county road to a slightly uphill main road at about a 45° angle, which requires going from a dead stop to 50mph and a hard left turn. In the wet my OEM tires would just spin in a similar manner to what you described, my new tires require significantly more throttle to make them spin.

Going by the stains in the road, I'd say its a combination. Slippery stuff on the road like all the "liquidy" stuff coming out the back of the garbage trucks that make that same turn. Any other trucks with stuff coming out of the bed or trailer. Tires that might not have the best grip, and a lightweight rear end with a lot of torque from the 5.7L.

Does your truck have a "snow" mode option? That normally makes it start in second gear and less throttle applied. Try that and see if it helps any at least at that intersection. The Ram probably has a LSD so if the inside starts to spin due to lack of weight, outside kicks in and starts to spin giving a nice drift turn.

Embrace the powerslide/drift and have fun?

Try taking the turn all the way to inside left as far as possible from as far right as possible before it. Avoiding the path most travelled by others.

Does your truck have a "snow" mode option? That normally makes it start in second gear and less throttle applied. Try that and see if it helps any at least at that intersection. The Ram probably has a LSD so if the inside starts to spin due to lack of weight, outside kicks in and starts to spin giving a nice drift turn.
There is no snow mode that I am aware of. It is a 2wd.

I'd be tempted to drop the pressure a little and get off the "line" might help...

Your truck a LSD? If so do you know what kind?
Not a bad idea.

It has a mechanical LSD.

Many of the reviews on the first couple pages of the Fortitude HT at Tire Rack pretty much say the same thing you experience especially on Pickup trucks. You might want something with more siping on the tread blocks to help evacuate the water on the contact patch.

Highway All season ratings (the Fortitude is pretty far down the list)

Many of the reviews on the first couple pages of the Fortitude HT at Tire Rack pretty much say the same thing you experience especially on Pickup trucks. You might want something with more siping on the tread blocks to help evacuate the water on the contact patch.

Highway All season ratings (the Fortitude is pretty far down the list)
On the highway yes - but not going to hydroplane from a stop sign
The voids between blocks would manage that - note plane tires are only grooved

There is no snow mode that I am aware of. It is a 2wd.

Not a bad idea.

It has a mechanical LSD.
“Mechanical“ that still has clutching ? My FF gear oil was erratic in a 2005 GMC (take offs from a corner)
… switch to M1 75W90 and the most noticeable change in all my years of lockers. Always wondered if the factory put the wrong oil in. I have also experienced a complete gear oil break down (Pennzoil) and lost a rear end

Is FF in truck ?

On the highway yes - but not going to hydroplane from a stop sign
The voids between blocks would manage that - note plane tires are only grooved
Not at speed Hydroplane like you are thinking but slight water on the surface. Yes you can hydroplane from a stop sign BUT I'll say more if there is ice as the heat from tire melts the ice and creates a very small water film, you just slide or spin. I'm thinking like my experience more from a snow/ice type thing, but also my worn tire when the siping disappears. The sipes open slightly and give the slight film of water somewhere to go and more biting edges. I had some Michelin on my Sonata that were really good in rain, didn't slip at start or stop until about 1/2 worn and a lot of the sipes on the center rib and side blocks disappeared. After that it was horrible in the rain even around town.

Like the well reviewed multicell on Bridgestone Blizzaks wicks away the water. it works great while it's there but then REALLY poor after.

Another thread on hear covers the new Destination LE3 vs 2. The increased depth of siping is one thing to allow longer wet grip.

Hard tires, smooth/slick/sealed pavement, a bit of water.... Light rear end? I can see it happening.

That said I dont have that happen on either of my Rams or my Chevy pickups. All have LSDs.

The thing I’m thinking of is maybe the paint at the crosswalk. I used to have traction issues with my ‘95 Integra GS-R and the front (drive) wheels spinning at crosswalks and STOP stripes when it was wet. Happens with my wife’s Civic too. I never had that problem with my WRX. I had some good tires too like Dunlop SP Sport 9000 and Pirelli P6000. But they would clearly spin on a wide, painted road stripe when wet. Haven’t driven a RWD car in wet weather in ages, but it would make sense that the drive wheels are the most likely to break loose.

Apparently this is a big deal with motorcycle riders who split lanes. This article claims that the reflective material (glass) and silicone additives in the striping paint makes it slippery, and especially so when wet. There are other claims that durability additives make the paint especially slippery when wet.

Last edited:
how old? because my 3yo cc+ skid a few times in autumn wet roads...
fwd, heavier front.
oe tires are often hard crap, mine were awful

Back