Tire rotation front to back ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2018 has only 4 jack points and no way to get the van safely up on 4 jack stands with out considerable work. Theses new cars are getting less and less DIY friendly

Just had Discount Tire rotate and balance my tires (free service if your a previous customer).

Per my Ford Focus Drivers Manual....

Rear right to front left....rear left to front right.....

Front left to rear left...and front right to rear right.

Plan on doing the above every 5K to 7K.

I drive the 4 miles to the Discount Tire in my city and whatever they feel like doing for a rotation pattern, that's what gets done. I subscribe to the KISS principle. The bonus is that I don't have to bust my back doing the heavy lifting and I now have an ironclad record of rotations. It came in handy with the warranty claim I just submitted for junk Kumho tires that lasted 24k miles of the 60k mile rating. They will have a hard time denying the claim with the rotation receipts.

And I've found that they don't have any distinction between current/former customers and never been a customer. They will do a rotate and balance for for free for anyone that walks in the door, as will they do a flat repair and rebalance. They even threw in 2 TPMS rebuild kits for my dad when the cleaned up bead leaks for him. He was so impressed that he'll be a customer for life now.

Last edited:
like some have said before. front to rear without crossing is still better than not at all. depending on driving habits and load, you might see more wear on the passenger side. i've only done front to rear for over 30 years on various cars fwd, rwd, awd, 4x4 for the same reason as you. no issues.

I have a pair of ramps and a hydraulic jack.
I use the ramps to change oil/filter .. then back down off the ramps.

I take the hydraulic jack to the rear and jack up one side and slide a ramp under the shock mount to hold the tire off the ground - do the same to the other rear. Now both rears are off the ground on the ramps.Loosen lugs nuts and remove tires
Take the jack to the front and remove/rotate tires one at a time crossing tires per manual.
Remove ramps from rear and voila !!

The important thing about tire rotation is that the fronts and the rears need to be swapped. The 2 ends of the vehicle do different things and the tires wear differently. On RWD, the rear tires wear in the center and on the front, they wear on the shoulders. On a FWD, the wear is more rapid on the front (about 2 1/2 times faster), and the wear pattern is more dependent on the alignment.

When I do a rotation I can jack up the whole side of the vehicle (except for the van!). I put a jack stand under a corner, take off the tire, then proceed to where that tire is going, jack up that corner, etc. - going around the car until done. While a simple front to rear would be easier to do, it isn't that much more difficult to do a Modified X.

On my brand new 2018 Honda Odyssey there are only 4 jack points and they are not wide enough for me to lift and place the jack stands. And the metal to either side of the jack points is not strong enough to hold the vans weight. Sucks

I try to do a cross when I rotate--I figure it might take out any feathering. At the moment I'm lucky and have spare sets of wheels for all my vehicles, so I can pull a wheel, put on a spare, and work my way around--I do have to jack 5 times but it's really not that slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back