Tire repair: plug or plug+patch

By how much? 1%; 5%; 20%; 99%? If it is speed rated at 106 mph, am I ok to drive at 105 with a plug...?
100% meaning there is no speed rating once patched or plugged. Not saying you can't drive normal highway speeds but the integrity of the tire may be compromised on high speed rated tires.

I highly recommend plug/patch. On the other hand I’ve driven on plugged tires for 54 years and never had one fail. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “as soon as I get a chance I’m gonna get this plug patched.” But then I’m the kind of procrastinator who tries to put his seat belt on in the middle of an accident.
Brother from another mother

By how much? 1%; 5%; 20%; 99%? If it is speed rated at 106 mph, am I ok to drive at 105 with a plug...?
Great question! To tell you the truth I wouldn't exceed 75mph on a plugged/patched tire.

100% meaning there is no speed rating once patched or plugged. Not saying you can't drive normal highway speeds but the integrity of the tire may be compromised on high speed rated tires.
100% would actually be zero mph; no speed rating. No driving on it.

For the most common puncture a plug will work problem free. If it’s a wallowed out puncture then a patch is best. I say that with the opinion that the risks associated with Delbert Jr. At the tire shop breaking down your tire/wheel, properly applying the patch, reseating the tire/bead properly, and balance (preferred), and lastly not ensuring proper wheel torque, a plug doesn’t seem quite so “bad”. Otherwise the issues that now have been introduced by Delbert Jr are far more dangerous than the plug you could have used yourself….

Back