Tire repair: plug or plug+patch

Normally I get them patch plugged, but I tried a string plug with rubber cement on my Focus and its been fine for 4 months now. I also wanted the practice incase I have to do one on a road trip or something like that.

Lots of people have had plugs fail, they just aren’t around to talk about it.
I doubt that.

One would need to be a special breed of stupid to die by losing control from a plug ejecting leading to a not so quick but neither slow air leak. You wouldn't even get a small jerk or any sudden movement, the steering wheel would gradually start pulling to the side before flattening within a minute.

I used to plug myself, even the BMWs RE090A's run flats. But now that the tires came from Costco, I'd have them do a patch since it's free. The only time I had an issue with a plug was when it was close to the outside edge. When the plugged tire was on the front, it leaked. It was fine on the back though.

I've never had a problem with sticky rope plugs and cement but the risk is moisture ingress between the layers of the tire carcass.

A decent plug kit is not expensive and is handy to have around .
I have 2.1 plug kits in my truck. When I get down to about 3 plugs left, I'll buy another.

Plugs used to be beefier. I will use 2 sometimes because I'm old and remember when plugs were just thicker and gooey-er

I've plugged a tire with the licorice plugs and it's held for a few months now. My dad's used a few cases of the plugs and I don't remember him ever getting a flat from the plug failing.

I'm the guy that ruins the statistics for plugs. I've had 2 out of 4 fail.

So why do a plug/patch?

Because you need something inside to "bridge" the damage. Holes are stress risers and a hole will grow over time.

- AND - you need to fill the hole with something to prevent the steel from rusting.

Plug = field expedient repair (keeps you on the road)

Patch with plug = preferred means of repairing a tire (not always available at the time of need)

Plugs work fine if you know how to do them. Self vulcanizing rubber becomes part of the tire. It will give you time to get a repair at a tire shop at your convenience.

I've either plugged or had plugged (for like five bucks) tires from time to time.
These repairs almost always lasted the life of the tire with no further attention needed.
Maybe not the recommended repair procedure, but one that usually works just fine.

Tires lose their speed rating whenever they are patched and/or plugged.

What a coincidence; I plugged one just yesterday. It had been a few (many?) years! I am fortunate the glue was still good.

I just plugged one earlier this morning.
2 nights ago here. I didn’t have the rubber cement but did have black RTV handy as a little lubricant.

i had 6 plugs in a set of Bridgestone turanzas a few years back. Had no issues with them over 60k miles.

2 nights ago here. I didn’t have the rubber cement but did have black RTV handy as a little lubricant.

i had 6 plugs in a set of Bridgestone turanzas a few years back. Had no issues with them over 60k miles.
You da man!
For me, plugs are a great way to get you back on the road. Even if you need to replace the tire soon...

Good luck trying to plug a tire with a bent nail or screw worn off screw at a 45-degree angle with a plug. I only plug lawn tractor tires.

Back