Tire repair: plug or plug+patch

Do you folks find DIY tire plugs to be a permanent solution or just a temporary fix to buy time to get to a tire shop for a plug + patch? I’ve read with most plugs being vulcanizing now-a-days that they are more of a permanent fix than plugs of the past. What say you, BITOG?

I've been plugging myself lately and haven't had any issues. I even have a plug in the front tire on my tractor and that thing sees some pretty extreme pressures with front end loader work. I use the kit from harbor freight with the rubber cement.

If its a tire I got put on at discount tire I do take it to them since they patch them for free.

I consider the plug permeant, I also think that discount won't work on a tire that has been plugged, so that may be worth considering..

I highly recommend plug/patch. On the other hand I’ve driven on plugged tires for 54 years and never had one fail. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “as soon as I get a chance I’m gonna get this plug patched.” But then I’m the kind of procrastinator who tries to put his seat belt on in the middle of an accident.

When I worked construction it seemed like every truck and tractor had at least 1 plugged tire. Never had an issue despite it being "temporary". If the tires are under warranty and you care, do a proper plug/patch.

In addition to what has been mentioned, the issue with plugging is that it could void the road hazard warranty from the selling dealer.

The plug/patch method is the best, but it can only be used if the puncture is not close to the sidewall. It is also the only repair approved by the USTMA (Tire manufacturer association). I have plugged tires and driven thousands and thousands of miles without problem. I have also had at least two tire failures that I was able to attribute to a plug repair. If plug/patch is an option, that's the route I would go.

That’s a clever response to a problem that doesn’t really exist. How about everybody turn in their cel phones and I’ll get my plugs patched? Wanna guess which approach saves more lives?

Reactions: STW
i just plugged a tire on my car because the tires is at 4/32 and i am pretty sure if i took it to DT they would insist i purchase new tires . its summer now and has not rained in a while. i will run it till the wet season comes.

i prefer to patch it tires , but i will plug them if in an emergency

i just plugged a tire on my car because the tires is at 4/32 and i am pretty sure if i took it to DT they would insist i purchase new tires . its summer now and has not rained in a while. i will run it till the wet season comes.

i prefer to patch it tires , but i will plug them if in an emergency
Perhaps, but I just took one of my winter tires to DT and they said the nail was too close to the edge to patch. He said that if it were him he’d take it to a non-chain tire shop and have it plugged. So that’s what I did. He told me I did not need new tires and it would be a waste to replace them at this time.

Back