Tire Rack now carries Cooper tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe cooper makes their new stuff in USA so the engineers can keep an eye on things then when it becomes established/ legacy product they send the tooling overseas to save a buck or two.

Did you see that ad on TV where cooper promised your tires would be made in USA? Me neither. Nice bonus if it is.

I guess I'm one of the few that have had less than stellar experience with Coopers. They haven't been terrible, but definitely not good enough to want to buy again.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Don’t bank on the Tire Rack COO info, I have seen at least one instance of it being incorrect.

This. The information on Tire Rack's website is incorrect. The CS3 and CS5 products are all made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
The information on Tire Rack's website is incorrect. The CS3 and CS5 products are all made in the USA.

How do you know this?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The information on Tire Rack's website is incorrect. The CS3 and CS5 products are all made in the USA.

How do you know this?
smile.gif

If I remember correctly, jjjxlr8 actually works for cooper.

And I adore my CS5 Ultras. For the price, I couldnt ask for better performance. They are hard to make lose traction and even when they do they hook up again quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ejes
I guess I'm one of the few that have had less than stellar experience with Coopers. They haven't been terrible, but definitely not good enough to want to buy again.

Where they CS5 Ultra, or something like the Trendsetter? Every manufacture makes some less than stellar tires, and also some good ones. It varies so much on what vehicle they are on, tire model, size, and the conditions being used. For the money I love the Cooper CS5 215/55-17V on my 2012 Camry for summer use, but wouldn't consider them for winter. I never count out a tire simply based on the brand name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
For the money I love the Cooper CS5 215/55-17V on my 2012 Camry for summer use, but wouldn't consider them for winter.

They will do OK in snow/slush (NOT ICE!!!) in the first winter. this is confirmed with three vehicles and 3 models:
-CS4 (2004 Hyundai Elantra): I was really surprised in fresh snow, I got moving while all around me vans, minivans, pickup trucks they where sliding all over/not moving
-CS5 Ultra (2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan)
-Zeon RS3-A (2013 Mazda5): in the TN Smokies twisties with fresh snow; I didn't even wake up from my sleep! (wife driving)

Do not expect much the second/third/... winter

They will grip in dry and wet.

Only problem: first position at a busy intersection; it is where you have a road patch with oil deposits + tires deposits + some slapped painted lane. this is the only time when/where i got my base cars to squeal the tires (new or old)

P.S.TRACTION, I just saw your signature.
Sorry, a case of me trying to teach a gardner how to garden...
Just relaying my experience with 3 tire sets and 3 separate vehicles

Your recommendation to use a winter tire during winter still stands!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
Originally Posted By: ejes

Where they CS5 Ultra, or something like the Trendsetter? Every manufacture makes some less than stellar tires, and also some good ones. It varies so much on what vehicle they are on, tire model, size, and the conditions being used. For the money I love the Cooper CS5 215/55-17V on my 2012 Camry for summer use, but wouldn't consider them for winter. I never count out a tire simply based on the brand name.

Yeah, I know all that. All I'm saying is that if I've tried several models of Coopers and had better performance from other models from different brands, for the amount of money tires cost, why in the world wouldn't I go with my own statistical experience? ( And that's a rhetorical question). To each his own

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Bait and switch?

When the CS3 and CS5 first came out, all of them were made in the US, in Tupelo, MS. But now they are made in China. A lot of companies, not just tire companies, do this, but since Tire Rack publishes the COO data, they can't hide it.

Lots of people on here recommend them in part because of the American-made reputation, so this will disappoint quite a few. When you build a reputation like that, whether it be made in the USA, or just being high quality, or whatever, then later quietly substitute with inferior components, or offshore to China, but still charge the same price, that's bait and switch!

I think you're taking bait and switch to an extreme level. It's still the same product. Many manufacturers do it. I think people had this same rant against Weber grills, used to be made in USA and now some of their cheaper lines are now made in China. You can't keep prices low, profits high without doing something.

You cannot compare a Weber grill to a tire. A tire is a complex thing that needs proper design and manufacture. The Chinese have not demonstrated a consistent ability to do such things. I would not put a Chinese made tire on my wheelbarrow! I just trashed a BRAND NEW Chinese made Kenda compact spare tire. It looked suspect, just looking at it. It looked like an inflated inner tube with a tread pattern stamped into it, noticeably different than the German made Continental I replaced it with!

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
You cannot compare a Weber grill to a tire. A tire is a complex thing that needs proper design and manufacture. The Chinese have not demonstrated a consistent ability to do such things. I would not put a Chinese made tire on my wheelbarrow! I just trashed a BRAND NEW Chinese made Kenda compact spare tire. It looked suspect, just looking at it. It looked like an inflated inner tube with a tread pattern stamped into it, noticeably different than the German made Continental I replaced it with!

Well, that's quite a statement.

People do realize, or course, they wouldn't even be here on BITOG, or online at all, if they were not relying on a Chinese-made electronic device or componentry, right? And consistently produced on an astonishing scale, given the tight time frames, frequent design changes, and quantities involved in precision manufacturing required of things such as smartphones, flat-panel displays, circuit boards, and integrated circuits.

Much of it more complex to manufacture than placing some steel and fabric sheets, plus some rubber into a mold and cooking it a couple times.

China (or pick other country), will produce a product at a level of cost and quality to that demanded by the company that creates it. If some companies wish to pocket more of the cost savings allowed by overseas manufacturing, loosen their standards, or otherwise not ensure that the COO is taken out of the equation, that doesn't mean that the country in question is incapable of producing quality goods.

If a company is only willing to pay for low cost, low quality junk, than that's what it will get. The converse is also true. Those are conscious business decisions, irrespective of COO.

Weber is now making their Genesis II line in China. The Genesis II LX and Summit lines are made in the U.S.

While they've improved the burner system, and the main vessel is still solid, the rest of the grill exhibits some signs of cost cutting. Yet nobody in China forced Weber to go to an open cart design, switch to plastic fasteners, or eliminate the side burners and other features compared to the previous generation; those decisions were made in Illinois. Even the American-made II LX has seen feature reductions.

If a Chinese-made Cooper is not up to par compared to its American equivalent, that's Cooper's responsibility.

Tire Rack just fixed it and is now updated to reflect all the CS3 and CS5 tires to USA
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Never had issues with my RS3As being made in china. There are different levels of quality control. The Coopers were Chinese made but balanced, gripped, wore perfectly fine. But the Taiwan made Milestars(pretty much china, but people say it's better) could never be balanced due to runout.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Don’t bank on the Tire Rack COO info, I have seen at least one instance of it being incorrect.

This. The information on Tire Rack's website is incorrect. The CS3 and CS5 products are all made in the USA.

Great to hear! Makes me feel better to lean toward the CS3s again...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

Well, that's quite a statement.

People do realize, or course, they wouldn't even be here on BITOG, or online at all, if they were not relying on a Chinese-made electronic device or componentry, right? And consistently produced on an astonishing scale, given the tight time frames, frequent design changes, and quantities involved in precision manufacturing required of things such as smartphones, flat-panel displays, circuit boards, and integrated circuits.

Much of it more complex to manufacture than placing some steel and fabric sheets, plus some rubber into a mold and cooking it a couple times.

China (or pick other country), will produce a product at a level of cost and quality to that demanded by the company that creates it. If some companies wish to pocket more of the cost savings allowed by overseas manufacturing, loosen their standards, or otherwise not ensure that the COO is taken out of the equation, that doesn't mean that the country in question is incapable of producing quality goods.

If a company is only willing to pay for low cost, low quality junk, than that's what it will get. The converse is also true. Those are conscious business decisions, irrespective of COO.

Weber is now making their Genesis II line in China. The Genesis II LX and Summit lines are made in the U.S.

While they've improved the burner system, and the main vessel is still solid, the rest of the grill exhibits some signs of cost cutting. Yet nobody in China forced Weber to go to an open cart design, switch to plastic fasteners, or eliminate the side burners and other features compared to the previous generation; those decisions were made in Illinois. Even the American-made II LX has seen feature reductions.

If a Chinese-made Cooper is not up to par compared to its American equivalent, that's Cooper's responsibility.

I will agree that the Chinese are great at COPYING what others invent.....I don't think they have invented anything since gunpowder. If I was ordering Coopers and they were Made in China...it would be a dealbreaker...not because of quality...but because I believe they are our adversary regarding the NK situation.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I will agree that the Chinese are great at COPYING what others invent.....I don't think they have invented anything since gunpowder. ........

That used to be said about the Japanese. (minus the gunpowder part!)

Given that Karl Benz is credited with inventing the car, and Robert William Thomson the pneumatic tire, I wonder if the Europeans said that about the US?

I always appreciated tire rack for their research videos and reviews but in terms of their prices I have always felt they are never a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back