Tire plugs, who uses them?

Prefer to fix holes in my tires with something that the air pressure is trying to keep the hole closed, over something the air pressure is trying to open the hole back up. But I have all my own machines, so it's way easier for me.

Prefer to fix holes in my tires with something that the air pressure is trying to keep the hole closed, over something the air pressure is trying to open the hole back up. But I have all my own machines, so it's way easier for me.
Plugs get all poofed out inside the tire like a wad of chewing gum. Much bigger than the part that sticks out of the exterior of the tire. Air puts the same pressure on them that it does the patches.....

Plugs get all poofed out inside the tire like a wad of chewing gum. Much bigger than the part that sticks out of the exterior of the tire. Air puts the same pressure on them that it does the patches.....

That's not likely the biggest issue, which is that the liner has been punctured and even if the plug is perfect, the liner may still be breached. The liner needs to be properly sealed from the inside. Of course a patch needs a buffed area (which scrapes away the liner) on the inside of a tire to properly adhere since cement doesn't stick well to the liner material. But then a sealant can be applied to the buffed area to create a new seal. It can look pretty ugly, although I suppose gooping it all over is better than being light on it and maybe missing a spot.

0893455472-app.jpg

The reason for the patch imo is if the low/flat tire has been driven on. With the tire off the rim you can inspect for debris that is created by the tire over-flexing. If it is present the plug/patch debate ends. Throw the tire away.

I plugged my first one on the Focus this spring with the cord and rubber cement, and its still fine now. I've had the plug kit in my road trip tool box for 8-10 years so I thought I might as well try one to get some experience if I am on a road trip.

I've only had to plug one tire in recent memory. It's been 5 years and still holding although the tires themselves are shot and starting to dry rot. Lol.

Can't know that for sure without removing tire and looking at it, then might as well do correct patching.
I prefer the patches that actually fill the hole also. Even this smaller patch puts 83 lbf on patch @ 40 PSI tire pressure,
which no plug will get close to.

To each his own of course, but I figure I already cheaped out on not buying a new tire, not going to cheap out on the patch method too.
(of course as a temp fix, no problem with plugs).

I cant say I would trust every tire plug, there are so many on the market. If the damage is more than a small nail or in an area that should not be repaired I don't plug them either. My opinion is for a small repair a high quality plug installed properly will make an acceptable repair.

That's not likely the biggest issue, which is that the liner has been punctured and even if the plug is perfect, the liner may still be breached. The liner needs to be properly sealed from the inside. Of course a patch needs a buffed area (which scrapes away the liner) on the inside of a tire to properly adhere since cement doesn't stick well to the liner material. But then a sealant can be applied to the buffed area to create a new seal. It can look pretty ugly, although I suppose gooping it all over is better than being light on it and maybe missing a spot.

0893455472-app.jpg
Just to point out that you're now scraping away/damaging an area of the liner inside the big circle. You are now dealing with a much larger area that has to have sealant (which a plug provides) smeared over the top of it. A little layer of sealant on an area at least the size of a quarter - which is a couple of inches of liner protected by that little thin layer of sealant.

With a plug, you have a damaged area of liner that's the size of a nail or whatever caused the damage.

You are correct that you never know. Maybe the nail did mess up a quarter of an inch of liner. In that case, the plug will start leaking and I'll have to put on my King Kong muscles to get the old plug out, because they poof up and you quite literally can't pull one out without using 300lbs of torque. Every plug I've ever had to redo, and I can remember 2, I've had to drill out.

For demonstration purposes only - original area of damaged liner represented by the inner circle, and the damaged area of liner as represented by the outer circle.
1698093833600.jpg

Can't know that for sure without removing tire and looking at it, then might as well do correct patching.
I prefer the patches that actually fill the hole also. Even this smaller patch puts 83 lbf on patch @ 40 PSI tire pressure,
which no plug will get close to.

To each his own of course, but I figure I already cheaped out on not buying a new tire, not going to cheap out on the patch method too.
(of course as a temp fix, no problem with plugs).
Sure you can know that. Does the plug hold air? Then it poofed out. Have you ever seen a plug that hasn't poofed out? Can the internet show me one that hasn't poofed out?

Yes - your plugs are more than likely a superior product. My plugs are a more than adequate product.

just for fun -

mr_boring> I agree with your perspective. OX1 makes it sound like there is 1000psi trying to blow the plug out like a bullet. The reality is that 40 psi is quite low pressure. The plug easily seals the hole and "feels" very little force.

The only question on my mind is the switch to no longer including contact cement in the kits. I just plugged two tires without cc, we'll see it they hold air well. I would think the seal would be better with contact cement, but the plug likely spreads through the hole just fine without it. And if I had any concerns with the plug failing due to age, I suspect it would be because the contact cement starts failing. So maybe no cc is better in the long run.

We use to be a proper country till the insurance industries ruined it....
Moreso the various lawyers who have all sorts of disclaimers and whatnot under the guide of safety. The tire industry is all for it because it allows them to sell more tires, despite the fact that modern tires are way higher quality than we give them credit for.

Examples of industry over-exaggerations:
- Can't plug a tire
- Must use a winter tire when it's below 7C
- Must replace tires >6 years old

Is there technically a basis behind these statements? Yes. Is there any real substantial and practical difference accounting for a variety of other factors? eh....

The only question on my mind is the switch to no longer including contact cement in the kits. I just plugged two tires without cc, we'll see it they hold air well. I would think the seal would be better with contact cement, but the plug likely spreads through the hole just fine without it. And if I had any concerns with the plug failing due to age, I suspect it would be because the contact cement starts failing. So maybe no cc is better in the long run.

On the topic of glue, I would've thought using the included rubber cement would be beneficial. Also note the keyword: rubber cement. This is NOT the same as contact cement. Rubber cement helps the rubber vulcanize which is an important step in keeping that plug bonded.

I don't know what the glue is but it's extremely volatile and will dry up in a metal crimp tube over time. I bought a steel brush top can last time but haven't opened it.

Moreso the various lawyers who have all sorts of disclaimers and whatnot under the guide of safety. The tire industry is all for it because it allows them to sell more tires, despite the fact that modern tires are way higher quality than we give them credit for.

Examples of industry over-exaggerations:
- Can't plug a tire
- Must use a winter tire when it's below 7C
- Must replace tires >6 years old

Is there technically a basis behind these statements? Yes. Is there any real substantial and practical difference accounting for a variety of other factors? eh....
I've had 11 year old tires get damaged/fail while offroading or carrying kayaks on a roof rack. These tires were from 2012 and I replaced them about a month ago. They spent their whole life uncovered in the Phoenix Arizona sun. Tires definitely last longer (age not miles).than people think

Back