Replace one tire or all 4?

Hello, hope you're all doing well.

I have a nail near the side of one of the tires so getting it patched looks very doubtful. One place already has said they would not do it. So it appears that this tire might be done. Another place I went to said they have to take the tire off the wheel to see but they're not sure. Right now there is a slow leak so I am adding air pretty frequently.

This is where the confusion starts though:

The rest of the tires look just fine and would last at least 10,000+ miles. I'm confused whether to just replace that one tire with a nice tire or replace all since I'm eventually going to have to do it anyway. I do drive quite a bit so it won't save me too much money but I also don't want to waste 3 tires with decent tread on them. My car is pretty old and has plenty of miles on it.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd be tempted to replace all four. This could be sweetened if the tire store will give you a trade in for the old tires. Discount Tire did that for me once when I was in a similar position.

Nav45

Tire depth for the front are around 6/32 or 7/32 and rear are around 5/32 or 6/32.

Nav45

I'd be tempted to replace all four. This could be sweetened if the tire store will give you a trade in for the old tires. Discount Tire did that for me once when I was in a similar position.
Good idea. Will try if need be.

Try local classified ads/used tire shops to see if you can find an exact match, including wear to the same level as your other tires. I lucked out and found one this summer this way when I had a tire damaged on the shoulder. If not, then you should look at a matching pair on an axle at the minimum, trying to use either the same tire model, or one with similar performance and construction.

If they cannot patch and plug it I would just buy 2 tires and put them on the NON drive axle. That way hopefully when the 2 old ones are worn down the newer ones will have limited wear and you can keep the one old one that is OK just incase one of the other older ones gets a leak or puncture

Sorry if I've missed it, but I can't see where you told us what type of vehicle this question relates to. Many AWD systems require the tread depth of all four tires be matched quite closely. If it's FWD or RWD, the suggestion already given to replace them in pairs is a good one, with the new tires going to the rear of the vehicle. The challenge with that is with a FWD car, you'll likely never be able to wear the new pair down to match the partially worn pair, as the tires with the deeper tread will always be on the rear while the front tires do all of the work (steering, putting power to the pavement, and more of the braking), so you'll be dealing with mismatching pairs of tires for the foreseeable future. Not the end of the world, but not ideal if you're one who likes to keep tires rotated and wearing as evenly as possible.

I had same issue.
Money tight, got 1 tire at walmart.
Put it up front since i have a limited slip rear

Did you ever mention the vehicle in question? The one tire or all 4 discussion often depends a good amount as to which vehicle. As mentioned, in many cases a similar wear, used tire can be an option. One can check eBay, FB marketplace, Craigslist, and the larger tire shops.