Just bought 1 used tire off eBay

The corner case has come. My 205 60 R16 91T Yokohama Avid Ascend has discontinued but got a sidewall nail that punch through and leak today. It has about 6-7/32 tread left so replacing 2 just to match doesn't quite make sense. I found a like new (10.5/32) exact same one on eBay with shipping and 1 year guarantee if there is any patching, from a seems to be legit seller that has a large operation (could be junkyard or some other operation that replaces tires). Made in the same year and around the same week too.

I'll probably toss this away when the others wear out, it will still come out ahead over replacing 2. Put this in the rear of a FWD hybrid make more sense I assume?

I've bought a few used tires off ebay. All worked out fine. One tire I bought has fairly old but that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

I needed two tires in the early days of the pandemic, when the local WalMart TLE's were all closed. The tires on the car that I was wanting to match were W*M exclusive tires from Goodyear.

Found two matching used tires at Champtires with 90% tread depth that matched the tires that already on the car, and had my mechanic mount them. One tire had been professionally patched with a patch/plug combo, and the puncture wasn't anywhere near the edge of the tread. No issues at all, a year and a half later. The cost for the two used tires was nearly the same as one new tire.

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. And this gamble was perfectly fine.

Last edited:
It being a match on my discontinued tire is the main reason I'm buying it. Being 10.5/32" is the other. There are only 2 on ebay, 1 "new" but is $20 more and this one is good enough in my case. I expect this to have about 3/32" to 4/32" left when the other one wears out.

So what would you do? Keep this newish tire up front and have the other 3 rotate around to even out the wear? or keep the uneven one in the back and let the front have even tires?

I'm no expert, but I have been repeatedly told by tire shops that you can damage your drive axles by having mismatched tires b/c one will turn faster than the other. I'm not sure how your AWD system will compensate but you're putting thousands more revolutions on one versus the other and that is supposedly or possibly strain on the system. That would be the biggest issue I would get a real answer from a real expert on b/c you might seriously damage your transaxle in some way. Again, I'm not an expert but the tire shops I've tried doing very similar with simply would not do it. They insist matching tires with very similar tread wear.

have bought a few tires and rims from eBay to create full sized spares - always OK
Just put a good eye to it … rock on (or not) 😷

I'm no expert, but I have been repeatedly told by tire shops that you can damage your drive axles by having mismatched tires b/c one will turn faster than the other. I'm not sure how your AWD system will compensate but you're putting thousands more revolutions on one versus the other and that is supposedly or possibly strain on the system. That would be the biggest issue I would get a real answer from a real expert on b/c you might seriously damage your transaxle in some way. Again, I'm not an expert but the tire shops I've tried doing very similar with simply would not do it. They insist matching tires with very similar tread wear.
Mine is not AWD so it shouldn't matter if it is in the rear especially of a FWD car. I also won't do this on a limited slip diff as well.

Good luck finding someone to mount a used tire.
We have a pretty good mom and pop place that will do anything, flipping, mounting inside out on asym tire, they are barely making a living so nobody will waste time suing them out of business. I won't bring it to a major chain.

Good date code?
Same year as my other 3, from 2017.

Back