Tips for someone who hates detailing

after decades of washing and waxing I finally tried this:

I did a new car, pretty easy, and a 2012 Accord, pretty hard. I did a TOTAL prep on the cars first. ******no more car washes.****** hand wash, clay bar, polish, 2 cleanings with alcohol, TWO coats of ceramic, one day apart. LOTS of work. rain and dirt rinse right off.

they answer your email questions, i like them.

just my two cents

bob

I maintain my cars very well (too much...) but for some reason i hate detailing the exterior. Im pretty sure i have OCD and trying to keep a car clean used to drive me nuts as it was just impossible when you live in a very humid climate with lots of rain and mud. Years ago, i decided to free myself from this burden and not give a c*** anymore. Nowadays i just pressure wash my cars every now and then just to keep the mud from accumulating and cause rust, especially behind the wheel arches but that's about it. The paint is full of microscratches and various debris. Keeping it very clean would probably take me a few hours every week but what would you do to "save" this paint and maintain it once in a while to keep it in a better shape behind all the mud?

My cars are always like that a few days after cleaning them:
View attachment 92910

And like that during winter:
View attachment 92911
I get it. I used to care and might wash them every 2-3 weeks, but not now. The truck is too big, and the car is black… so it’s easier not to get uppity about it. This is what’s working for me. The truck, being larger, gets waxed probably 1-2 times per year. I’ve found that the chemical brothers hybrid ceramic wax lasts a long time and sheds dirt decently. So the truck gets that when I do wash it. After the wash, it’s too shiny and all the defects show. 3 days later, it’s not so shiny, but the heavy dirt stays off of everything but the tailgate. Good enough.

the black sedan is smaller, and it also gets the ceramic, or I’ll mix the ceramic in to the rag with some mothers carnuba during application. Same deal... dirt gets on there but it takes longer and some sheds in the rain.

im not sure how well it would suffice per those pictures, but it works ok and I feel a little better about it.

edit- I’ll add, I’ve added 3m clear headlight film to all of them since highway driving erodes the plastics, especially if there’s sand, dirt, or grit in the air.

m

Just be happy your "winter" photos don't look like this:

3t80.jpg

I suppose you could get your vehicle ceramic coated.... Or even do it yourself. A lot of that dirt will just roll right off when you wash it. Be aware though that it isn't a permanent coating and aggressive cleaning will wear it away.

That's one cool looking salt shaker. (y)

I found the Meguires ceramic hybrid spray keeps the cars a lot cleaner. Use it twice a year and you’ll be happy.

Dirt doesn’t stick and comes off easily. I’m a clean freak, and enjoy the way the hybrid ceramics help stay clean longer.

My cars drive on gravel regularly, so something to help keep it clean helps my mental health. Not giving a caca never crossed my mind…not a bad idea.

Back