Timing Cover Leak in Toyota/Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by edyvw
Are you sure that is Toyota? That would be impossible according to BITOG'ers.
Knock it off edy!

Ah, good ole Toyota cult.
People buy Toyota and get themselves B7 Audi S4, except Audi S4 is actual vehicle.

Originally Posted by mehullica
The 2GR-FE engine has been plagued with timing cover & cam housing leaks since it came out. I've reseal dozens while I worked at the dealer. Engine/trans come out with the subframe while the body is lifted off. ES & RX models both aren't fun to do. At least I never enjoyed doing them. I worked with several techs who liked the job. The leak can & will leak onto the subframe, ruin the control arm, rack & pinion bushings on the RF side. A few I did were leaking onto the exhaust pipe from getting slung off at high speeds. Those would have visible smoke coming out at idle. I did only a few customer pay reseals. Most all were warranty or extended warranty jobs that paid less than the time it took to do for me. 7 hrs for an ES & 9 for an RX while customer pay was 14 hrs

That work is venturing into B7 Audi S4 territory.

Not all engine/trans R&R jobs are created equal, Toyota/Lexus are generally pretty easy!

Your almost as bad as the Japanese/Toyota fanboys Eddy.......On a constant RANT.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Not all engine/trans R&R jobs are created equal, Toyota/Lexus are generally pretty easy!

Your almost as bad as the Japanese/Toyota fanboys Eddy.......On a constant RANT.

Well one buys Toyota/Lexus, and than gets slapped with 20hr work and still drives microwave.
If someone posted how BMW inline 6 needs valve cover gasket change, there would be 5 pages of how it is expensive (and it is cheaper actually and easier to do), type of material to depreciation etc.
There is another thread about MB on this subforum and it went into 5 pages in no time, with usual things like: nothing unusual, that is why I drive American iron (that is though funny) etc.
But here we are venturing into every possible rationalization of this issue to point where reliability is measured by ignoring the problems.

Knock it off edy!

People buy Toyota and get themselves B7 Audi S4, except Audi S4 is actual vehicle.
If you can't offer constructive comments or contribute to a thread in a positive and meaningful way, keep your toxic and disrespectful opinions to yourself and STAY OUT of the discussion edy. In fact, stay out of any and ALL discussions regarding Toyota products, Toyota owners do not welcome your comments and insults and none of us pay any attention to what you have to say.

It seems most of us Toyota/Lexus owners are just letting it leak until it gets bad. And some are going many miles with just the leak. I'm just gonna leave it be and watch it for a couple of years.

Forever Toyota/Lexus Fanboy
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
It seems most of us Toyota/Lexus owners are just letting it leak until it gets bad. And some are going many miles with just the leak. I'm just gonna leave it be and watch it for a couple of years.

Forever Toyota/Lexus Fanboy
banana2.gif

That is how reliability works.

Knock it off edy!

If you can't offer constructive comments or contribute to a thread in a positive and meaningful way, keep your toxic and disrespectful opinions to yourself and STAY OUT of the discussion edy. In fact, stay out of any and ALL discussions regarding Toyota products, Toyota owners do not welcome your comments and insults and none of us pay any attention to what you have to say.

I am being constructive. I am just pointing to obvious.

No, we need to do a go fund me to put his Toyota in a custom shop to be fitted with BMW driveline and suspension with Michelin snow tires or import European Goodyear's.
Inside? Recaro up front for sure. Sound? Press a button (system has weight sensors) so those baby seats flip over into 15" subs connected to that new Alpine system … Oh, yeah !

Originally Posted by Gebo
Y'all be easy. Edyvw just needs a hug.
Since I drive Toyota, I actually do need one
smile.gif

I still doubt that you actually own a Toyota, and I still believe that you are working for a Toyota competitor (or a competitor's... supplier/consultant/advertising firm/IT firm/law firm/accounting firm/engineering firm/etc) planted to troll the boards denigrating Toyota products and insulting Toyota owners.
To everybody reading this, make no mistake, this sort of thing is going on everywhere on the Internet every day. You need to be highly sceptical of a person's intentions and motivation whenever they denigrate (or praise) a product to the extent that someone like edy is doing. BTW, these people will ALWAYS claim that they actually own the product.

The difference is that a Toyota owner knows to research a repair because the whole vehicle isn't going to self-destruct at 100k miles like a GM.

Knock it off edy!

To be perfectly fair, the same could be said to the Toyota cultists who insist on preaching to the world how great their appliances are.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
To be perfectly fair, the same could be said to the Toyota cultists who insist on preaching to the world how great their appliances are.
Agreed.
The big difference here is that edy is not preaching about how great his VW appliance is, he is denigrating Toyota products and insulting their owners. People come here for help and advice, not to be insulted about their choice of vehicles. Toyota owners know how reliable and durable they are and that is why they are so loyal to the product, just like BMW owners know how great they drive and that is why they are so loyal to the product. The other side of the coin is that Toyotas don't drive that great and BMWs are not terribly reliable and durable (both fairly accurate generalizations). Each owner has his/her priorities and neither one of them should be insulted for making the choice that they made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by thooks

The difference is that a Toyota owner knows to research a repair because the whole vehicle isn't going to self-destruct at 100k miles like a GM.
Exactly. That is one reason why I doubt that edy actually owns a Toyota. Most Toyota owners would have researched the mirror problem that he is claiming to have with his Sienna and found out that the problem can be rectified quite easily by anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and about an hour of time to spare.

I would bet the majority of leaks are minor enough to ignore long term. My 83 Caprice leaks all over our driveway but it doesn't use much oil between changes so no point in fixing it. The oil leaks actually help prevent rust, so there is some benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back