Timing Belt Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: k24a4
Too bad you won't have the pleasure of doing the same to the CRV. You could always "yank" the chain out for fun, and our benefit.

Yeah, the timing belt was a properly fun job. It may not be so on other vehicles, but it's a cake-walk on the large Honda SUVs (or at least it was on ours). Because the CR-V uses an engine with a chain, Honda didn't engineer-in near the clearance at the front of the engine that would be required for an easy timing belt change. I'm sure a K24 timing chain could be replaced in-situ, but it would be a much more difficult task. It's not possible to change the serpentine belt, for example, without the thin snake-like tool designed for that job. You can't get a rachet and socket in there as you can on the MDX.

Maybe I'll get to help someone out with a Honda timing belt job soon, to pay the experience forward some...

Honda V6 parts and assembly quality plus and minus in my experience.
Quote:
I will sound like a Honda spokesman here, so donning flame suit... Everything I've taken off this Acura has looked absolutely like new.

Like yours, my TB, WP and pulleys looked good. Rotating parts moved smoothly. WP not leaky.
Quote:
The old tensioner itself seeped a little bit of fluid out when I laid it on the ground, but I didn't see any evidence of leakage on the inside of the timing cover. I replaced the tensioner also.

My tensioner leaked quite a bit more. Incorrect tension causes many problems including jumping teeth, variation of crank position cam position signals causing check engine light. Was replacing tensioner anyway but tensioner quality not good enough to wait the next TB change.
Also, several bolt holes for the valve covers were stripped on removal. Would turn and turn and turn and turn and not come out without pulling the bolt. Sure enough, stripped out. Never would tighten after many of revolutions at low torque below service manual recommended torque. Never worked on before by anyone unless the dealer worked on them when doing the TB tensioner recall replacement. One front engine mount bolt hole stripped.

Some oil leaking from two coils. Replaced them. Spark plugs not bad, a bit worn near 100k mi.

A mixed bag.

WOW. That is absolutely something I wouldn't even dare try myself. I'll admit, I can wrench, but that is wayyyyyy out of my comfort zone. I'm a slave to the dealership with our V6's hit the 105K mark. On the 02, I think I paid around 800-ish for full replacement of belt and all the other stuff, plus new plugs and radiator flush, Honda has some peculiar specs on their stuff. The way I look at it, pay 8-9 hundred every 4-5 years for trouble free maintenance, is worth it. But still, I'd sure like to save that money if I had the confidence. In my defense, there is a lot less room in an Accord to do the belt swap. Dealer said they have to remove the inner fender wells to get to it.

What I've learned, regardless of what the manuals might say, never loosen the bolt on adjustable cog pulleys. Transfer marks to the new belt, slap it on with sprung hobby clamps or zip ties holding the belt onto the cam pulleys. Line up your crank pulley and belt, and pre-tension the belt. After that, set the tension to specs and your home free.

If a previous owner/mechanic hasn't messed with the cam timing, everything will be back to spec.

Some DOHC applications will require loosening the pulleys while using fixtures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back