Timing belt broke on my 2004 WRX

Wasn’t sure if it was interference or noninterference. I guess I know now. A mechanic “friend” was able to check it and quoted about $3-4000 since it has bent valves. Money was tight and I kind of neglected having the timing belt changed, but it’s an old car anyways. The paint is in poor condition, the suspension has some weird noise, and the overall cosmetic condition is pretty bad.

At this point I’ll probably just donate it for a tax write off.

But it was a fun car while it lasted.

Bummer, sorry to hear.

In buying a used car, does one trust stickers under the hood, re the timing belt? Since I bought a car with 81k, it was not 90k yet so I knew I had to get it done and it would be original…

Wasn’t sure if it was interference or noninterference. I guess I know now. A mechanic “friend” was able to check it and quoted about $3-4000 since it has bent valves. Money was tight and I kind of neglected having the timing belt changed, but it’s an old car anyways. The paint is in poor condition, the suspension has some weird noise, and the overall cosmetic condition is pretty bad.

It sounds like a case of neglect that's all. Checking the condition of the timing belt is very easy on these engines also you have no idea of the quality of the belt and related components previously installed. IMO there is no ground for comments like timing belts suck.

IMO there is no ground for comments like timing belts suck.

I feel like the Dodge Neon is enough ground to claim that timing belts suck. I never minded them on the Ford/Mazda 2.0 Zetec. Non interference engine and a 45 minute job. There’s a place for everything but I don’t feel like a belt’s place is running timing on an interference engine or running an oil pump.

Don't donate it. You'll be able to sell it VERY easily even in that condition.

Don't donate it. You'll be able to sell it VERY easily even in that condition.

I’m convinced. I guess I’ll just need to move it to my driveway. Registration is due next month, and I can probably get planned nonoperation and cancel the insurance.

It’s not worth it for me to repair it. For the repair cost I could likely get a daily driver.

So there are some who might want a 20 year old WRX with a lot of little issues plus bent valves? Just as a blank slate for a rebuild with performance parts? My tow truck driver said he had a WRX wagon himself with a lot of parts swaps.

Back