Times change, many refuse to change with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Tempest, the properly worded articles and cherry picked statistics can demonstrate whatever point you want to illustrate. And anything posted from the Cato Institute on the subject isn't worth the time it would take to even glance at it as far as this subject goes. Not only are they NOT any kind of impartial body, they are a "think-tank" and policy formulation organization (i.e., government lobbyist) whose membership is made up exclusively of card carrying neo-conservatives (or neo-liberal, take your pick of terms as they are interchangeable) with their own policy agenda that they make no secret about. Free markets and the supposed benefits it brings to all is something they've claimed long before NAFTA and such even existed.

This is a pile of streaming manure. The facts, whether you want to admit them or not, are that:

1. The middle class is not only shrinking, but those comprising both its ranks and those of the working classes, are worse off than they ever were. This began decades ago and the rate has only been accelerating.

2. The wealth that was once held by this segment didn't simply vanish; it was merely transferred: from the middle class to the wealthiest percentiles of society.

This is not something that is debatable. Political scientists, economists, and sociologists have observed this wealth transfer taking place for decades and have produced volumes of paper to substantiate the same claims I have made here (and I acknowledge them because it was part of the material I covered as an undergrad while shifting back and forth between political economy and behavioral science, or social psychology, as my social science concentration that was to prepare for further post-graduate study).

The only thing that's debated anymore, are the causal factors, and how much influence each has had on our new reality. Those who oppose globalization and free trade, point the finger mainly at those forces (and its conceivable, and even likely, that this is why oppose free trade and globalization). Others attribute it to technological developments that have rendered much domestic manufacturing "obsolete," and the transference of this pool of labor from better paying manufacturing jobs to lower paying service sector jobs. And on it goes. The list of likely causes are many, and with the overlap among them, exact causation has proven impossible to nail down.

Selective statistics prove nothing, and anybody (such as myself) who has studied even basic statistics and the subjects they are used in, knows this. For statistics to be meaningful, you have to look at many indicators and compare them to intervals across a fairly lengthy period of time. The most useless of all statistics are those compiled by special interest groups who have a special interest (hence the term they are referred to) in using measures the paint the picture that is in accord with the very policies they promote.

Nice try though, but unlike the "people in this thread who have no grasp of economics" you referred to earlier in this thread, I did my economics and business electives, and I also did a 4th year undergrad course taught by the department head in my major on the labor market and unemployment, and which was grounded in a study of how government policy and spending has evolved since the time of Keynes and his (then) revolutionary impact on macroeconomics, coupled with the transformation in the methods of domestic production, shifts and changes within the labor market, and the net effects of this transformation.

By the way I also WORK in a field where we deal daily, face to face, with the products of our evolving society. I hear their stories, and that real world, first hand experience has strongly influenced the beliefs I hold today.

And I then get to compare my front line experience with those of the policy makers (in government, and within my own health care corporation), and take stock of how they compare to one another. And that's all I can say about that as, even in my personal time, I'm not permitted to discuss that issue any further - as much as I'd love to (but I love my job more).

-Spyder

Thanks Spyder, well put..

Last edited:
Quote:
exact causation has proven impossible to nail down.

And yet you blame free trade...
crazy.gif

Quote:
This is not something that is debatable.

Now that is a very convenient way to stunt dialogue.
Quote:
Growth in Canadian living standards, as was shown above, is closely related to growth in productivity.

prb0223e-2.gif

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/prb0223-e.htm
From the highly biased....Canadian government.
crazy2.gif
Notice the fairly lengthy trend up that roughly parallels productivity?

Also, this Canadian government study doesn't seem to show a reduction in the median income.

Is the Canadian government using "selective statistics" to make things looks better than they are?

I have to say you really do cherry pick your arguments. Really you didn't even post what that site was really saying. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but GDP/per capita tells you nothing about how that money is distrbuted which is the real issue as far as the middle class disappearing argument.

Just one quote from that site, i could've quoted many more, regarding that graph you posted counters that growth is as good recently:

Quote:
Although this performance points to increasing labour productivity levels in the economy over the past 25 years, the implied growth rate is not stellar; the average compound annual growth rate was only 1.2%. By contrast, post-World War II to pre-1973 growth rates in labour productivity averaged more than 2.5% per year, or more than double today’s rates. Similarly, standard of living, as measured by GDP in constant 1997 dollars per capita, was $21,840 in 1976; by 2001, it was $33,059. This represents a 1.67% annual compound growth rate and is far below the rate witnessed in the post-World War II to pre-1973 period

This would suggest that what was happening pre-1973 was better than the last 25 years.

You beat me to it. I was looking over his data and noticed the exact same thing. He posts the graph showing its increasing, while neglecting to mention the fact that the rate of growth has been considerably reduced since 1973.

His own data, which he admits is impartial, when looked at in full, supports the contentions myself and others have made all along - yet he takes the graph out of context to (wrongly) provide evidence for his own argument; evidence that a simple read of his own link asserts.

Edit: you are bang on the money too: GDP/per capita tells you nothing about how that money is distrbuted which is the real issue as far as the middle class disappearing argument.

GDP simply shows productivity growth. Its a big picture snap shot of one indicator of the economic health of a nation. It does not show how well off the different income brackets are, or within, and to what degree, an increase in GDP is 'shared out' within the nation's population.

To learn that, better measures would be changes over time in disposable income relative to inflation and different income brackets. Property ownership is another good indicator, as are corresponding examinations in trends in foreclosures and bankruptcies. These are a few indicators more relevant to the topic at hand.

-Spyder

Last edited:
You said:
Quote:
1. The middle class is not only shrinking, but those comprising both its ranks and those of the working classes, are worse off than they ever were. This began decades ago and the rate has only been accelerating.

2. The wealth that was once held by this segment didn't simply vanish; it was merely transferred: from the middle class to the wealthiest percentiles of society.

The wealth is NOT being "transferred" to the upper class as you claim because if it were, there would be a "decades long" trend DOWN, which is NOT the case as you portend. The second study also shows that the wealth did not "vanish" because ALL "classes" are gaining wealth in real terms.

Your position that "the working classes, are worse off than they ever were" is simply non-sense as their real income continues to rise.
Quote:
Property ownership is another good indicator, as are corresponding examinations in trends in foreclosures and bankruptcies. These are a few indicators more relevant to the topic at hand.

Well, since you claim to have extensive schooling in this area and studied under a "department head" and have a top secret job generating government statistics that can only be viewed on a "need to know basis", bringing up these stat's shouldn't be that hard.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

This would suggest that what was happening pre-1973 was better than the last 25 years.

Because:
Quote:
Carney went so far last week as to describe Canada's track record in making productivity-enhancing investments as "abysmal." He predicted that if the trend isn't reversed, falling productivity could cost every Canadian $30,000 in income over the next decade.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/03/29/boc-jenkins.html

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: Brons2

As for the ADA and the AMA, please! You want to compare trade associations to unions? Yes, they engage in advocacy, but pay is purely set at whatever pay rate the practitioner can get the market to bear. Membership in trade associations is OPTIONAL.

The ADA and AMA are definitely quasi-union organizations. They control wages by controlling labor. Why do you think it's so hard for a university to be accredited for an MD or DDS program? With so few universities offering such programs and so few applicants being accepted, of course you end up with a labor shortgage. And it's not like they're denying entry of only dumb people. I knew some VERY smart people who could not get into medical school.

Just how does the AMA control labor? They don't accredit medical schools and they don't control state licensure. Same goes for the ADA.

I think you just don't care for their political views. They are certainly a powerful lobbying association.

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama.shtml
Since 1847 the American Medical Association (AMA) has had one mission: to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.

In reality this should read "to promote medicine as well as protect the salaries of physicians". As an aside, physicians I know on a personal level are among the greediest people I've ever met. Comparable to lawyers
[/quote]

So what? It's supposed to somehow be bad to be successful??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
You beat me to it. I was looking over his data and noticed the exact same thing. He posts the graph showing its increasing, while neglecting to mention the fact that the rate of growth has been considerably reduced since 1973.

US oil production also peaked in 1973, that's one ball of wax we haven't gotten into. A large portion of the trade deficit for the US is comprised of the value of our imported oil. So for the last 37 years we've been sending trillions of dollars of wealth overseas for the privilege of driving our cars around. But nobody's going to complain about that on a motor oil site, right?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back