Time for springizing the boat

It's 75F out today, some dandelions have flowers and I see people trailering the boats from where it was stored for the winter.

This time is near.

My boat goes in for a new Bimini top at end of the month. Then onto rack storage for the summer.

About 32 years ago I spent $1,600 total for all the hardware, and a blue waterproof Canvas Bimini, with roll up 50% of light blocking black square screens that were on removable zipper mounts on both port and starboard sides for my 18 ft. Chrysler Buccaneer sailboat. That included re-rigging the Boom-Vang line from the divide by 4 pulley that was 3/4 back on the boom all the way to the back of the boom and having a 3-reduction pulley system on the back and the boom line run the boom and down to the bottom of the mast and then to the back of the boat to a pivoting cleat. That and a 2.5 HP Mercury 2 stroke kicker outboard on a folding-up mount that was mounted on 4 huge Lord rubber shock mounts, were nice to have on a hot summer day when the wind died, and the sun was beating down. Though most days the wind did not give out until an hour or less before sunset.

Sailing with a Bimini up when you cannot see the sails really requires a very experienced sailor, who really knows the boat and how to sail it. Something that truly cannot be done by someone without that background.

What size and type of boat? And if you do not mind me asking, how much does the entire rig (metal supports and canvas and all else) cost now days?

Pictures would be nice when it is done.

Last edited:
Almost time to reactivate the trailer plates. I sticker the plates for 6 months per year. There are a few mountain lakes I like to use in the area, so I need the trailer.

Here in BC, liability insurance is covered by the plates. ( the insurance comes with the plates). In Alberta, the liability insurance of the vehicle pulling the trailer covers the trailer which means no need to renew plates each year; much better.

Last edited:
Our spring was a little cooler this year here in South Carolina. I was just looking at photos from last year and March 3, 2021 we were on the water already!

I haven’t even taken the cover off yet this year but it’s really time now to get it cleaned up because will be in the 80s in another week or two…heck summer us around the corner.
It’s a lot more simple when you have an outboard, you can go out on a warm sunny weekend like we had a couple weeks ago when it was in the 80s and not worry about if it goes below freezing a week or two later at night since the engine water drains by itself.

When it comes to trailering, South Carolina is fantastic. No trailer plates needed, no trailer registration needed, no trailer inspections.

Almost time to reactivate the trailer plates. I sticker the plates for 6 months per year. There are a few mountain lakes I like to use in the area, so I need the trailer.

Here in BC, liability insurance is covered by the plates. ( the insurance comes with the plates). In Alberta, the liability insurance of the vehicle pulling the trailer covers the trailer which means no need to renew plates each year; much better.
Not sure what I will do with my trailer. Boat going onto rack storage for 12 months of the year. Trailer will be stored in the boatyard. Probably just drive the trailer a few miles 2X a year.

Finally had time last Friday to change oil/filter (Yamalube), grease, change both cranking batteries, and wax the boat. Now have to wait because of an extended “vacation “ that wife planned before launching for the season. My idea of “vacation” is having uninterrupted time on the water to fish and enjoy. No secret who calls the shots here…
I wish all a fun/safe boating season.

Yeah, many states have requirements in the USA too regarding trailers and I did in NY until moving south to SC.
No trailer requirements in South Carolina, No trailer plates, no trailer registrations, no trailer inspections, no anything! It was weird at first but I love it now.

Yeah, many states have requirements in the USA too regarding trailers and I did in NY until moving south to SC.
No trailer requirements in South Carolina, No trailer plates, no trailer registrations, no trailer inspections, no anything! It was weird at first but I love it now.
Nice... I moved from NC to CA and the trailer regs here are so much nicer. Buy a trailer, get your tag once, that's it. "Permanent trailer" they call it. I didn't even put my plate on the trailer for the first 5 years I owned it. Just kept in in the truck, in case. Never been asked about it.

Boat at the canvas shop for new Bimini top. Although new tops are Sunbrella, not canvas.

I reserved my spot in their schedule back in December with 50% deposit.

Wait until May to find a shop and it will be 6 month wait.

Attachments

• PXL_20220416_152430004.jpg
    PXL_20220416_152430004.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 7
The guy who was going to start on my new Bimini top today blew out his knee on Friday and now needs a knee operation. I gave a deposit in Dec for a spot in the spring. I guess the only good thing is he is not half done. Now to find a new shop and they are all booked now with work.

We have the Honda mostly ready to go. Did the lower unit gear oil, pulled the prop, cleaned out fishing line (always good to check!) changed the oil and filter and am now waiting on plugs and the impeller before we can take it up to the lake.

The Supra and Four Winns are both in storage still, have to call ahead to get them taken out, then it's oil change time in the Supra (Delvac 1, Fleetguard Stratapore filter) before she's good to go for the season. Not sure on the Four Winns as to what dad wants to do, the oil doesn't have many hours on it.

Yes sir, summer has arrived in South Carolina on May 1st. A few weeks late but that's ok. Boat ran great, thank god, always does but last year .... Spent 6k on it last spring, brand new OEM Volvo SX1 upper gear case and sea water pump.
Boat only has 117 hours on it, 2008, picked it up for a song was a dance back in 2019, worth way more than I paid for it in todays market. Truly mint condition.
Just a lucky rare find at the time. (it didnt hurt that it was the end of January either)

IMG_7133.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes sir, summer has arrived in South Carolina on May 1st. A few weeks late but that's ok. Boat ran great, thank god, always does but last year .... Spent 6k on it last spring, brand new OEM Volvo SX1 upper gear case and sea water pump.
Boat only has 117 hours on it, 2008, picked it up for a song was a dance back in 2019, worth way more than I paid for it in todays market. Truly mint condition.
Just a lucky rare find at the time. (it didnt hurt that it was the end of January either)

View attachment 98543
Nice! We have the '03 version of the same boat. It has been great so far, picked it up in '17 w/ 186 hours and learned boating on her.

Whis swim platform is that?

Why is she in the boat, and your in the water ?. Maybe if you behave she'll let you in. Like they say, it's not IF you can swim, but how LONG you can swim.,,,
True story! = She was first in the water this year, took a photo for my family, I was kind of surprised because she likes 80+ degree water and it was still brisk 70ish.
P.S. I was smart enough to bring a float into the water with me 🤣

Last edited:
Nice! We have the '03 version of the same boat. It has been great so far, picked it up in '17 w/ 186 hours and learned boating on her.

Whis swim platform is that?
It was a factory option on 180 SSI 2008+ years, not sure about earlier years. The interior floors are fiberglass I think previous years were carpet?
It also had snap in carpets that we replaced with new because the rubber backing of the carpet was just literal falling apart with age. Chaparral are well made solid boats and actually, hard to tell from this photo but the extended swim platform shows the quality as well, heavy duty, well made, doesnt have/require any braces under the platform. Many boats have two metal support braces, one on each side of the outdrive.

Great choice that you ended up.;)
2 photos below are last summer one more close up of the swim platform
IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4420.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you boat in the northern part of NJ?
I was born, raised, boated my whole life until 15 years ago on the South Shore of Long Island, out of the Seaford area.
Loved the diversity of sea life in the Great South Bay and up to around 20 ish miles out into the ocean via Jones Inlet, sometimes Fire Island Inlet.
Many fishing trips off the Jersey highlands for monster Bluefish and our old standby at the Ambrose Light/Navigation tower outside of NY harbor never let us down using jigs.
As much as I love the fresh water boating, Im not so sure anything can beat the decades on Long Island the only thing I dont miss it the beating the boats take from the salt but that's all part of the package.
I love the thought of an outboard again, has evaded me for the last few decades though *LOL* BTW-Nice boat.

Back