Time for springizing the boat

Hi, 2019 F350C's. They require flywheel replacement at ~80hrs of operation in a certain rpm range; 3500-5000 maybe? The engine monitor will alert you and the job is done in less than a day w/ no cost...currently. I only have 7 hours in the new-to-us boat and the boat only has 60 hrs. total, I am still learning ocean boating, but given the type of boating we expect to do I can't see spending much time in that range. We are usually puttering around for fun or running around Buzzards Bay and Vinyard Sound.
Is this scheduled maintenance?

At least my I/O is fresh water cooled and the boat will be rack stored. Unsure how much salt water will effect my boat.
Freshwater Cooling is very good and convenient. Really all inboard/outboard’s that are running salt water should have a heat exchanger.
The salt water aspect of the engine will still be affected and that includes the exhaust manifolds and they are pretty much a maintenance/replacement item but at least the internals of the engine are not exposed to salt.
Salt is a killer on boats not just the engine but then at the hardware and the wiring.

Freshwater Cooling is very good and convenient. Really all inboard/outboard’s that are running salt water should have a heat exchanger.
The salt water aspect of the engine will still be affected and that includes the exhaust manifolds and they are pretty much a maintenance/replacement item but at least the internals of the engine are not exposed to salt.
Salt is a killer on boats not just the engine but then at the hardware and the wiring.
Actually the exhaust manifolds are fresh water cooled. The salt water is injected into the riser.

Actually the exhaust manifolds are fresh water cooled. The salt water is injected into the riser.
My mistake. A long time ago I had a SeaRay with four-cylinder MerCruiser commercial engine and I believe it was a half-and-half system but it was so long ago I don’t know anymore. I’m assuming you’ve checked and yours is a full system.
I don’t even know what engine you have!

Fresh Water Cooling Conversion Kits for MerCruiserMarine Engines These fresh water cooling system(s) will convert the currently functioning specified marine from a raw water cooled application to a fully functional fresh water cooled (closed cooling) half or full system, as specified in the kit detail. A full system cools the engine block and exhaust manifolds with coolant.”

Brought my boat to the rack storage marina and paid the fee for a year.

Found a place to do make a new top but now having second thoughts as the price has gone from $4000 (place where shop owner blew out his knee and cannot make the top) to a shop that wants $6000. It is the busy season and high inflation.

My second thoughts come from the fact that the boat will sit most of the time 12 months out of year with the top down inside the rack storage building. I could put the top up when I am using the boat. But when it's on the rack the top needs to be down. So do I need to spend money on a new cover that will get little use. Maybe if I get a slip some day.

For now I think I will get the existing cover repaired. I just need the main cover to keep the sun off me (fair haired blue eyes) and maybe rain. Don't need the side curtains or after cover.

Brought my boat to the rack storage marina and paid the fee for a year.

Found a place to do make a new top but now having second thoughts as the price has gone from $4000 (place where shop owner blew out his knee and cannot make the top) to a shop that wants $6000. It is the busy season and high inflation.

My second thoughts come from the fact that the boat will sit most of the time 12 months out of year with the top down inside the rack storage building. I could put the top up when I am using the boat. But when it's on the rack the top needs to be down. So do I need to spend money on a new cover that will get little use. Maybe if I get a slip some day.

For now I think I will get the existing cover repaired. I just need the main cover to keep the sun off me (fair haired blue eyes) and maybe rain. Don't need the side curtains or after cover.
No new cover. Rain suit for the Rain and Shade for the sun.

Topped up the Deep Cycle Everstart with distilled water and put it on a smart charger to top off the charge. This is summer number five for it.

34254AE4-0E88-4550-A823-7237C6AB2993.jpeg

Last edited:
Topped up the Deep Cycle Everstart with distilled water and put it on a smart charger to top off the charge. This is summer number five for it.

View attachment 105526
I think 5+ years is doable depending upon the heat and charging care the battery sees. And the number of cycles where it's brought to a very low state of charge as might happen on a boat house battery.

Back