Time for a new AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oro_O
Nope, I missed that skimming to catch up. What year was it, if you know?

He didn't mention the year.

I looked him up on Facebook (where I saw the ad) and it looks like he runs an independent mechanic business. So he likely installed it himself, maybe with an extra pair of hands. He had to remember where the oil filter location was though, which was odd, but it's in the same spot as my Solara, right under the intake manifold which is the stupidest place ever. So maybe he doesn't do as much work on it or it has been that long since the last change. Idk. I want this to be a winner so bad but I have my doubts about it. Thing is, any 1st Gen 300 is gonna have the same issues likely. Maybe I ought to just spring for it. Everything else I've looked at is at least twice as expensive. *Shrug*

I get the sense you are self-pressuring your way into this. If there's this much deliberation, you haven't yet found one that's right for you. keep moving.

First one for me. Dont even bother spend money in Salvage title unless you are going to keep it forever.

If it really had 40k on it it should be an ok bet, and it has fresh fluid in it. Add some lubegard red, and drain/fill the pan every 25k. I have an es with the 151e and that is the right pattern for it, and it is running perfectly at 300k now. I have found genuine 3309/T-IV fluid works beter in these than multi-spec fluids.

Check at clublexus in the RX subforum about ins and outs of that tranny in the awd config. I am most familiar with the sedan applications. TN in highlander subforum should also have a wealth of information, though configuration is not the same with the RX necessarily year to year, the Highlander lags.

The oil filter location on the MZ-fe is so stupid. It bakes filters. Get a Fram ultra, run it two OCIs. The adbv in it will stand up to the heat. I have run one as long as 16k with no draining down at night. The current one on there is over 10k and Doing fine.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
If it really had 40k on it it should be an ok bet, and it has fresh fluid in it. Add some lubegard red, and drain/fill the pan every 25k. I have an es with the 151e and that is the right pattern for it, and it is running perfectly at 300k now. I have found genuine 3309/T-IV fluid works beter in these than multi-spec fluids.

Check at clublexus in the RX subforum about ins and outs of that tranny in the awd config. I am most familiar with the sedan applications. TN in highlander subforum should also have a wealth of information, though configuration is not the same with the RX necessarily year to year, the Highlander lags.

The oil filter location on the MZ-fe is so stupid. It bakes filters. Get a Fram ultra, run it two OCIs. The adbv in it will stand up to the heat. I have run one as long as 16k with no draining down at night. The current one on there is over 10k and Doing fine.

Been using Bosch Distance Plus (aka D+) on my Solara. Change it every 10k (twice a year). I might try that Fram Ultra too.

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Originally Posted by Pew
Hills in Nebraska consists of some dude that eat a bit too much at the local Chinese buffet :p .
Are those the last 3 choices you have though? They're all old/broken/salvage and Lexus likes to stick an extra couple hundred onto whatever parts you need just because.

You've never been in the bluffs or in fontenelle forest then. Winding hills at up to 40 degree inclines. Saw a Camry try to climb a hill in our neighborhood last winter in vain. Try try try it did, but kept sliding back down. It was amusing.

I was heading home during a really nasty storm some years ago and a stretch limo was spinning its wheels at the very steepest part of the hill I have to deal with, which is just before the turnoff for my neighborhood. Seemed like a pretty stupid time for a limo to be out, turns out I was not really in the mood to try to help out as I had been white knuckling it for quite some time by then (mostly worried about other drivers) and was trying to figure out if I could safely drive across a bit of somebody's yard to get around it.
While I was still pondering things, whoo boy it started coming backwards down the hill towards me. In a move that I probably couldn't replicate without the terror factor, I quickly and smoothly backed into another neighbor's driveway just in time to let the limo plummet past me.
I think it slid across the "major" road I had just turned off, luckily there was no traffic and the thing came to a stop without piling into anything. Would have really sucked to have gotten out of the driver's seat to walk up and help and THEN see the thing coming down towards my car!

Hey you guys here's a new option to muddy the waters.

2002 RX300 with 170k and original transmission but no real service history on it because the guy is clueless for $1,800. says he wants to sell it because he's buying a truck. He's owned it for a year and he paid about $3k for it. Stupid move or should I jump on it?

there's a bit of rust on the hood but nothing that I can't buff out and paint over. I believe there's also a scuff on the side and a dent on the front.

I am pretty much set on an RX300 I just don't know what one to get

I can buy this one in cash but then I'm beyond my comfort zone for what's left in my savings afterwards. If I go look at this, which is an hour away, what should I be looking for as far as potential problems?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back