Tighter fuel efficiency standards for heavy trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Society is changing and devolving, for sure. The Constitution has a procedure for changing also. It is called the amendment process. 3/4 of the states agree to an amendment and something can be added or taken out of the constitution. Until amendments are proposed, voted on, and agreed to, the rules are set on what the federal government can and cannot do, everything else is for each state to decide for itself, as expounded upon by the 10th amendment. I really don't give a rip what any other state wants to spend their own money on. Just don't send me the bill. But that is what happens now.... I get the bill for stupid stuff other states do because the feds have set up the scam. If Californians want pure, clean air coming out of the tailpipe of a internal combustion engine, great. Mandate it and pay for it. Don't send me the bill.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Society is changing and devolving, for sure. The Constitution has a procedure for changing also. It is called the amendment process. 3/4 of the states agree to an amendment and something can be added or taken out of the constitution. Until amendments are proposed, voted on, and agreed to, the rules are set on what the federal government can and cannot do, everything else is for each state to decide for itself, as expounded upon by the 10th amendment. I really don't give a rip what any other state wants to spend their own money on. Just don't send me the bill. But that is what happens now.... I get the bill for stupid stuff other states do because the feds have set up the scam.

You get a bill for like F-35? or bailing out AIG? or other bank?
Welfare at its best.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Business can't work if its workers are calling in sick from air pollution. And they can't sell anything to folks who are out of work since those folks have no money. Air pollution causes folks to lose work days either themselves or taking little Johnny to the doctor for a nebulizer treatment when their asthma flares up. Those lost work days add up to a fair bit of change for businesses. It just may be the same cost to clean up the air as to compensate for lost work.
And so how many workers are "calling in sick because of air pollution" every day? I'd like to see some numbers to do a CBA.

So many workers call in "sick" because they just don't want to work. There has been a study decline in the American work ethic over the years. Many folks want a job just for the paycheck, not because they want to be productive and make something of themselves.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Society is changing and devolving, for sure. The Constitution has a procedure for changing also. It is called the amendment process. 3/4 of the states agree to an amendment and something can be added or taken out of the constitution. Until amendments are proposed, voted on, and agreed to, the rules are set on what the federal government can and cannot do, everything else is for each state to decide for itself, as expounded upon by the 10th amendment. I really don't give a rip what any other state wants to spend their own money on. Just don't send me the bill. But that is what happens now.... I get the bill for stupid stuff other states do because the feds have set up the scam.

You get a bill for like F-35? or bailing out AIG? or other bank?
Welfare at its best.
You get to pay for "California Emissions" car parts when you don't live there because it's hard to find a "49 state" version.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: hatt

If you want to solve the problem let's tax gas higher (so we can pay for roads) and let's increase taxes on pick-pu trucks unless those trucks are bought by farmers or construction workers, meaning, if they are bought for work, fine, if not, pay for being stupid.
Hey boy. Not everyone is 5 ft tall 're and can comfortably fit into shoe boxes. You welcome to tell me to my face how stupid I am for my P/U.

I won $20 when my 6'6", 280lb co-worker fit easily into my wife's Festiva. Some small cars have plenty of room! (I recall that Shaq-7'3"-drives a VW Beetle.)
Yup, I'm perfect, tax everyone but ME! So, are minivans IN or OUT when we appoint YOU "what you can drive" czar?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Quote:

Tiguan? Avg 24mpg. Limited to 130mph, etc. Put ANY other vehicle in that class and compare performance/MPG? Yeah, the cannot meet performance (Honda CR-V, RAV4).
People have a right to do whatever they want, no one is disputing that. However, pay per lbs for a damage that you do to the road. If you tow boat that has 7000lbs, you should pay way more then what I pay who use cars for skiing. Freedom of choice? Sue, but pay for what you use.

And you called people stupid for choosing a pickup truck unless they are in construction workers or farmers.

Ah, so you chose performance over fuel economy.

Vehicle taxes according to vehicle weight is nothing new. You pay more taxes when you register it. You also pay more tax when registering a high capacity trailer. And believe it or not, farmers and construction workers are not excluded.

Not sure how pick-up and performance can go in same sentence, but whatever.
Tiguan? Combination of size, torque, mpg. Since torque is not common term in Toyota, Honda etc, it was Tiguan. I did not call people stupid bcs of their decision. I call people stupid for buying truck, and then complain about gas prices etc. You wanna drive V8 truck? Sure, but pay for it, and pay what needs to be paid so we can have decent roads. Whenever price of gas goes up, it is always same people who complain about prices.

So you chose a vehicle given more factors than simply fuel economy.

Pickups and performance go perfectly together. The performance of a pickup is not rated by speed alone, and by many other factors. But my pickup, however, would leave either cars in its dust anyway, and I'm averaging 19.9 MPG unloaded.

People are not stupid for buying a pickup and complaining about gas prices, because a rise in gas prices rarely has anything to do with natural supply and demand, and more to do with artificial market manipulation. And that has absolutely nothing to do with road maintenance.

Pickup trucks are not Rolex watches. They have been a part of typical American life for decades, especially for those who live in the less populated areas and have to get everything they need or want themselves. For people who don't hire out everything, it is a necessity.

Not everyone who has one is an urban cowboy with a perpetually unloaded bed and hitch.

Quote:

Tiguan? Avg 24mpg. Limited to 130mph, etc. Put ANY other vehicle in that class and compare performance/MPG? Yeah, the cannot meet performance (Honda CR-V, RAV4).
People have a right to do whatever they want, no one is disputing that. However, pay per lbs for a damage that you do to the road. If you tow boat that has 7000lbs, you should pay way more then what I pay who use cars for skiing. Freedom of choice? Sue, but pay for what you use.

And you called people stupid for choosing a pickup truck unless they are in construction workers or farmers.

Ah, so you chose performance over fuel economy.

Vehicle taxes according to vehicle weight is nothing new. You pay more taxes when you register it. You also pay more tax when registering a high capacity trailer. And believe it or not, farmers and construction workers are not excluded.

Not sure how pick-up and performance can go in same sentence, but whatever.
Tiguan? Combination of size, torque, mpg. Since torque is not common term in Toyota, Honda etc, it was Tiguan. I did not call people stupid bcs of their decision. I call people stupid for buying truck, and then complain about gas prices etc. You wanna drive V8 truck? Sure, but pay for it, and pay what needs to be paid so we can have decent roads. Whenever price of gas goes up, it is always same people who complain about prices.

So you chose a vehicle given more factors than simply fuel economy.

Pickups and performance go perfectly together. The performance of a pickup is not rated by speed alone, and by many other factors. But my pickup, however, would leave either cars in its dust anyway, and I'm averaging 19.9 MPG unloaded.

People are not stupid for buying a pickup and complaining about gas prices, because a rise in gas prices rarely has anything to do with natural supply and demand, and more to do with artificial market manipulation. And that has absolutely nothing to do with road maintenance.

Pickup trucks are not Rolex watches. They have been a part of typical American life for decades, especially for those who live in the less populated areas and have to get everything they need or want themselves. For people who don't hire out everything, it is a necessity.

Not everyone who has one is an urban cowboy with a perpetually unloaded bed and hitch.

Of course it will leave a lot of cars in the dust, until first curve. I always found fascinating that brilliant idea of oversized engine and straight line performance. What an genius achievement! A lot of people in my area drive pick ups, and mostly they are the first in the ditch. It is that mentality "I have a pick up, I am king of the road" except it is really bad performer on the road, especially on the slick.
Not only people who drive pick ups are DIY people. Most of the people who drive pick ups are people who are buying them for purposes that they are not made for. Of course in this country you have freedom of choice, so you can do whatever, but tax gas properly and then buy your pick up. Just raise tax on gallon in accordance with inflation since 1993, and as far as I am concern, everyone can drive pick up!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Business can't work if its workers are calling in sick from air pollution. And they can't sell anything to folks who are out of work since those folks have no money. Air pollution causes folks to lose work days either themselves or taking little Johnny to the doctor for a nebulizer treatment when their asthma flares up. Those lost work days add up to a fair bit of change for businesses. It just may be the same cost to clean up the air as to compensate for lost work.
And so how many workers are "calling in sick because of air pollution" every day? I'd like to see some numbers to do a CBA.

NBER: 10 ppb reduction in ozone increases worker productivity 4.2% (2011): http://www.nber.org/digest/sep11/w17004.html

NBER: A standard deviation increase (~37%) in total suspended particulates results in a 10% increase in work days lost (1984): http://www.nber.org/papers/w1263

From skimming the paper, the average work days lost to air pollution was 6.24 days a year.

Air pollution costs Europe up to $235 billion: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/25/us-eu-pollution-idUSKCN0J90XK20141125

Most of the pollutants were suspended particulates.

So, there are quite a few costs to having suspended particulates in the air, no matter the source. Eliminating the ones that folks are stuck behind or stuck on were low-hanging fruit.

Quote:

Of course it will leave a lot of cars in the dust, until first curve. I always found fascinating that brilliant idea of oversized engine and straight line performance. What an genius achievement! A lot of people in my area drive pick ups, and mostly they are the first in the ditch. It is that mentality "I have a pick up, I am king of the road" except it is really bad performer on the road, especially on the slick.
Not only people who drive pick ups are DIY people. Most of the people who drive pick ups are people who are buying them for purposes that they are not made for. Of course in this country you have freedom of choice, so you can do whatever, but tax gas properly and then buy your pick up. Just raise tax on gallon in accordance with inflation since 1993, and as far as I am concern, everyone can drive pick up!

It's a very genius achievement, since an oversized engine and straight line performance are EXACTLY what you want for towing oversized loads. Im not trying to blast a chicane with a 15,000 lb trailer. Besides, Nothing you own would stand a chance hauling my boat, straight, curve, sitting still, or otherwise.

But of course, your Tiguan isn't particularly good at anything at all, since neither it's handling, acceleration, or fuel economy are anything to write home about, unless you start comparing it to the other compact "I wish I had Sport or Utility" Vehicles.

But at this point, you've ceased making any form of sense, and have pretty much fallen back to spewing anti-pickup vitriol.

Higher gas prices have proven to do exactly nothing but drive up everyone's costs. When those fuel prices go up, that money WILL be coming out of your pocket too, especially if directed toward heavier vehicles. You did know that's how all of your stuff gets to you, right?

Quote:

It's a very genius achievement, since an oversized engine and straight line performance are EXACTLY what you want for towing oversized loads. Im not trying to blast a chicane with a 15,000 lb trailer. Besides, Nothing you own would stand a chance hauling my boat, straight, curve, sitting still, or otherwise.

But of course, your Tiguan isn't particularly good at anything at all, since neither it's handling, acceleration, or fuel economy are anything to write home about, unless you start comparing it to the other compact "I wish I had Sport or Utility" Vehicles.

But at this point, you've ceased making any form of sense, and have pretty much fallen back to spewing anti-pickup vitriol.

Higher gas prices have proven to do exactly nothing but drive up everyone's costs. When those fuel prices go up, that money WILL be coming out of your pocket too, especially if directed toward heavier vehicles. You did know that's how all of your stuff gets to you, right?

Wait, from it will leave a lot of cars in the dust, we are now talking about: it will leave any cars in the dust towing boat? Who said anything about boat? As far as I remember cars are not design to tow boats.
Tiguan is OK vehicle, much better then any similar product, nor I bought Tiguan bcs I want to have SUV, SAV etc. It serves purpose, simple AWD, small, high enough for my wife. Are there better cars that size? Not sure, since turbo comes very handy on 6,800ft, or on 12,500ft over Colorado passes. MPG? It is decent, not minding paying if it is necessary $1 per gallon in taxes just to have decent roads, without potholes where you can fit F-150.

Quote:

Wait, from it will leave a lot of cars in the dust, we are now talking about: it will leave any cars in the dust towing boat? Who said anything about boat? As far as I remember cars are not design to tow boats.
Tiguan is OK vehicle, much better then any similar product, nor I bought Tiguan bcs I want to have SUV, SAV etc. It serves purpose, simple AWD, small, high enough for my wife. Are there better cars that size? Not sure, since turbo comes very handy on 6,800ft, or on 12,500ft over Colorado passes. MPG? It is decent, not minding paying if it is necessary $1 per gallon in taxes just to have decent roads, without potholes where you can fit F-150.

Have you been drinking or something? What part don't you get about the fact that a heavy duty truck is very properly engineered when it's designed for straight line pulling power, instead of being poorly engineered as you suggested?

It has a goal,,and it performs it's task very well. Something I wouldn't expect the owner of a hodgepodge like yours to understand.

Good thing our system will never allow for your singular, nonsensical, and bigoted idea to come forward just because you think it.

It still begs the question on what government is doing trying to determine how much fuel economy a heavy truck gets. These vehicles are used in a wide variety of applications that have fuel economy all over the place. It is one thing to pull a dry van down the road from Florida to California, it is quite another to pull a hopper bottom full of grain out of a field, down a gravel road, and into town. Then there are van trailers, refer trailers, bottom dumps, end dumps, pneumatic trailers, liquid tank trailers, flat beds, step decks, and the list goes on and on. Each of these add their own complexity to any fuel economy equation.

The companies that own the trucks, and the OEM's that sell them the trucks already have very strong motivation to tweak fuel economy as much as possible. When you get government involved in that process, you have a dweeb in a cubicle deciding what works and what doesn't, and they couldn't tell you the difference between a wide based wheel and a 5th wheel.

And it is all about gearing, gearing, gearing. It is amazing how I can use a motor in my semi, that was built in 2000 based on 1998 specs for that motor, rebuilt in 2013, and it gets 20-25% better average fuel economy than the current dry box, general freight, long haul sector averages, of which it is a part of. And some government dweeb thinks he knows so much about trucks as to determine what they should get. Guess what? I am already getting better fuel economy on average than they propose.

MPG and pollution standards have been very good for smaller vehicles and will be just as beneficial to larger ones.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Couldn't we just truck stuff less? The roads in Hollis, Maine are being pounded by 18 wheelers hauling groundwater away from a Poland Spring bottling plant because people are too cool to drink tap water. Tap water infrastructure is already in place, if you hate the flavor, get a Brita filter!

Poland Spring/ Nestle knows its a public relations flop; the trucks are plain white, unmarked.

The unsung efficiencies will be in better dispatching, more tandem trailers, driving slower, slower lead times, more automated shipping container robotic ports and intermodal facilities, etc. Our "stuff" still comes from insanely far away, most of it.

You pretty much nailed it. As a truck driver, I must say that when things were made in the USA, they didn't have to come from across the world to get here to where they're consumed.

That, and we could ship much more than we do by rail...

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Couldn't we just truck stuff less? The roads in Hollis, Maine are being pounded by 18 wheelers hauling groundwater away from a Poland Spring bottling plant because people are too cool to drink tap water. Tap water infrastructure is already in place, if you hate the flavor, get a Brita filter!

Poland Spring/ Nestle knows its a public relations flop; the trucks are plain white, unmarked.

The unsung efficiencies will be in better dispatching, more tandem trailers, driving slower, slower lead times, more automated shipping container robotic ports and intermodal facilities, etc. Our "stuff" still comes from insanely far away, most of it.
So ho many people do you want to put out of work? I'd say commercial vehicles are taxed well enough to pay for the "damage" they cause. It's the political hacks who dump the revenue into the "general fund" and use it to coddle neversweats instead of fixing roads. BTW, where is Britta made?

So we need to keep our antiquated ways in place so no one loses their jobs?

Quote:

Have you been drinking or something? What part don't you get about the fact that a heavy duty truck is very properly engineered when it's designed for straight line pulling power, instead of being poorly engineered as you suggested?

It has a goal,,and it performs it's task very well. Something I wouldn't expect the owner of a hodgepodge like yours to understand.

Good thing our system will never allow for your singular, nonsensical, and bigoted idea to come forward just because you think it.

From the beginning I said, who needs truck (farmers) government should make certain accommodations. People who tow boats, well they should pay for TRUE gas tax, same like rest of us (by TRUE gas tax I mean some 60-80 cents per gallon).
Poorly engineered? While trucks should NOT evolve in certain elements due to the nature of the job that is expected from them to do, I am not sure that engines evolved, or some other parts. It is of course in order to be affordable, because American middle class is not progressing (I mean, we need to spend money on AIG, F-35 etc). American middle class still needs affordable cars/trucks in certain price range or cheaper, since taking into consideration inflation, and after Tsunami called Bush, we are screwed around $5,000 per capita when it comes to average salary.
So how an American can afford truck? Offer outdated V8 engine with 4 speed transmission (now granted, most of them now have 6 speed, some 15 years after many European cars had it).
In the end, there is a reason why Chrysler & Co went bankrupt.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well well.... Battle lines drawn
smile.gif

I say this first and foremost .. You can't get something for nothing. Roads do cost money to maintain and build. Gas tax increase does make sense here to me. Last time federal gas tax increase has been awhile. Here in Va the state gas tax hasn't been increased over 20 years and yet we have added over 2 million people to our population.
Now the idea of having a GPS tracking an individual citizen for their driving is ACROSS the line. Charging vehicles for weight on the roads may already being done I bet. Which if this either increased or started this added cost WILL be passed on to the CUSTOMER at the end. Thanks. Part of the reason we pay more and more for beef and pork at the store.... Wonder why??
smile.gif

Having said that... There is need for government to step in and regulate business at times as well. There was a small town in Pennsylvania where a local industrial plants air pollution was held close to ground level for days and it killed a number of people in that town. Did government need to step in there and other places?? Absolutely.
Balance. That's what we need as a country.

This may be a silly question, but wouldn't the additional 2 million added to the population add that much more to tax revenues? If so, then why would it be necessary to raise the tax?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We pay by the pound here in FL. Sure seems fair to me, as road damage is directly linked to weight.

Balance in this country is non existent as government scrambles for more revenue. Since we collected record amounts last year perhaps we should consider reducing spending a bit...?

Our gov collects plenty in taxes...the problem is overspending...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We pay by the pound here in FL. Sure seems fair to me, as road damage is directly linked to weight.

Balance in this country is non existent as government scrambles for more revenue. Since we collected record amounts last year perhaps we should consider reducing spending a bit...?
Reduce spending,,,,,

Cut defense budget for example.

A better and more logical cut (and one that wouldn't jeopardize our national security) would be to cut the free gov handouts to those who are able to work, but refuse to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back