Thoughts on this recipe for gun oil

Hi All I made a homemade gun oil with Motul 300V racing motor oil ( think it’s a group V oil ) and nano prime engine treatment with MoS2 and Ws2 seems to work fairly well in Glocks and a AR would there be any downsides in long term use? I know there are people on this forum with a loads of knowledge please give me some input. Thank you in advance

I thought the original thread title was for a FUN OIL

1678537013879.jpg

Fun oil. Gun oil. Aren’t they synonymous? Personally, though I shoot a lot, a 4oz bottle of gun oil lasts a long time, and the oil expense is microscopic compared with the ammo expense.

So, I don’t bother with my own mix, I just use off the shelf, commercially available oil (and yeah, I’ve got AMSOIL, G96, and HPL on the shelf).

I don’t see any downside to using your mix. Guns aren’t picky, though, so, maybe just the Motul itself next time?

This is a great question for @High Performance Lubricants - what makes a good gun oil? How does this mix look to you?

Fun oil. Gun oil. Aren’t they synonymous? Personally, though I shoot a lot, a 4oz bottle of gun oil lasts a long time, and the oil expense is microscopic compared with the ammo expense.

So, I don’t bother with my own mix, I just use off the shelf, commercially available oil (and yeah, I’ve got AMSOIL, G96, and HPL on the shelf).

I don’t see any downside to using your mix. Guns aren’t picky, though, so, maybe just the Motul itself next time?

This is a great question for @High Performance Lubricants - what makes a good gun oil? How does this mix look to you?
Thank you for the reply i will ask @High Performance Lubricants

If you're looking for rust prevention during storage some motor oils emulsify and may not be durable in high humidity.

I would just use a gun oil marked "CLP", Mil-PRF-63460F and NSN 9159-01-053-6688. Qualified products are heavily tested and perform well.

If you're looking for rust prevention during storage some motor oils emulsify and may not be durable in high humidity.

I would just use a gun oil marked "CLP", Mil-PRF-63460F and NSN 9159-01-053-6688. Qualified products are heavily tested and perform well.
Ive never really liked the idea of CLP i dont think they are good in any one area. I clean with a cleaner and wanted a lubricant ( or LP ) just on its own. Didnt know that synthetic oil would not be durable in high humidity as it gets very hot and humid here where i live.
Learn some thing new everyday :)

It's not really the base fuids, synthetic or mineral, that are effected by moisture although esters can be effected. It's usually the sulfonate detergents. Sodium sulfonate is an emulsifier. Lower molecular weight calcium sulofonates are also emulsifiers.

It's not really the base fuids, synthetic or mineral, that are effected by moisture although esters can be effected. It's usually the sulfonate detergents. Sodium sulfonate is an emulsifier. Lower molecular weight calcium sulofonates are also emulsifiers.
Thank you for the info always good to learn from people in the know :)

A few drops of Singer sewing machine oil I stole from my wife seems to work fine for just about everything that goes bang. If a pistol won't function reliably without being lubed with unicorn tears, IMHO, it's broken.

A few drops of Singer sewing machine oil I stole from my wife seems to work fine for just about everything that goes bang. If a pistol won't function reliably without being lubed with unicorn tears, IMHO, it's broken.
lol valid point

I created my own lube several years ago and gave some to a Veteran friend of mine that teaches at one of the known tactical schools. He reported back that it worked great on the weapons.

Back