Thoughts on the 2023 Nissan Rogue 1.5 variable compression engine?

You are probably thinking of the Nissan Cube or Juke. Easy mistake.
Nope, the Z. No imagination or special style that I can see compared to it's rivals like the Supra. As I said, like a 10 year old sketched it during recess.

2023-Nissan-Z-Coupe-49.jpg

Wow. I thought that I was the only one that remembered Smokey. I read everything he ever wrote (and that could get my hands on) and I tried my best to absorb and understand everything that he said. I think that he knew more about engines than anyone before or since. I had the pleasure of visting his garage in Daytona Beach back in the late 1960s. It was amazing to see how many of the Nascar racers had their race cars in his shop all at the same time.
Very interesting fellow! He flew B-17 bombers in Europe during the war. There was a fascinating article about a "dry gas" engine he developed in the '70s or '80s - the testers reported that the car had excellent response (without the bucking and stumbling that was typical of so many of the late emission-controlled carburetors) and turned in excellent gas mileage. Unfortunately it appears the key concepts died with Smokey.

Well, I just bought a used 2021 SV with the 3 cylinder VC turbo. I got it with 26K miles on it and have put close to 2K at the moment. Quite peppy compared to the usual 4 cylinder. Hoping it will be a good decision. So far, I like it.

It could be a terrible engine and still outlive that CVT paired to it.... So I guess it doesn't matter!
I do wonder about that. I thought the Nissan CVT issues are a thing of the past after the whole management shake up in their headquarters a few years ago. Are current models still suffering from that Jatco CVT fate?
I do know that going from a CVT to a 9-speed auto in the Pathfinder improved things by a huge margin.

Nope, the Z. No imagination or special style that I can see compared to it's rivals like the Supra. As I said, like a 10 year old sketched it during recess.

IDK what you're talking about... To me it looks great! I absolutely love the tribute to the original Z and Dakar Rally heritage. It's VERY clear where the design language comes from.
Screenshot (25).pngScreenshot (26).pngScreenshot (27).pngScreenshot (28).pngScreenshot (29).png

You do realize. don't you, that you're just the Guinea pig for an extremely complicated piece of machinery with several features that no has ever seen before and that no one knows how to diagnose or repair and that no one carries parts for?

People like new and unusual things but when it comes to new cars, new engines, new transmissions, etc the first owners going to pay a steep price to be on the front of the learning curve.

Also Nissan might claim that it's going to be a very good and effective engines but the car companies have a long history of engine inovations that turn out to be complete disasters when they get out into the real world. The Chevy Vega engines are a shining example of that.
Not much of a risk he is keeping it for engine warranty period.

Why go for a 3 cylinder instead of 4? To squeeze extra 1 or 2 mpg?

Its impressive that they got it to work, but doesn’t seem to be worth the headache.
They currently put a complex balancer cassette under the crank on their larger 4 cylinder engines, so with the 3 pot, you will have less frictional and inertial losses, a larger cylinder bore allowing a larger valve window, you will free up packaging space to implement a closed deck for better gasketing, and the 3 cylinder low rpm advantage where the next cylinder is fired as the previous is midstroke. Ask a steam engine designer about that :)

I do not like all the extra required mechanicals-which are highly loaded- to implement the VC aspect.

NIssan were trying to go a little retro, but to me it seems a bit patchwork in the details, though the overall shape is nice enough.

What kills it for me is the homage to the 300zx taillamps. A
'90's kitsch better left in the past.

1993 300ZX
z taillights.jpg

An Uber driver picked us up in one back in March; I can't remember the mileage but it was more than 60k miles. I noticed it shook pretty bad at every red light with no CEL on; horrible idle. I like Nissans, I've owned a few of them, but I'm not so sure about this set up.

A good friend of my had few of the 4 cyl models before he bought the new 3 cyl. He can't believe the improvement with this new power train. Nothing but good things to say with 40k miles on it

Well, it's probably a bit late to ask, since we already deposited a 23 Rogue SV. But what's everyone thoughts about their new VC turbo engine?

It makes a lot of power considering it's a 3-cylinder engine, yet very fuel efficient. The hydraulic engine mount noticeably did a great job isolating the 3-cyl vibrations at low speed compared to Ford Escapes. Of course the long term reliability is unknown at this point but I don't plan to keep this vehicle longer than its powertrain warranty.

During my test drive I found the engine very smooth and peppy for normal day to day driving. I'm ok with the CVT as it's just a daily driver. The fake shifts were still annoying but better than some of the others.
I like the new rogue it’s a handsome vehicle. I would like to believe with regular maintenance and you don’t beat it you should have many years of trouble free enjoyment. I’ve heard trash talk on the 3 cylinder turbo but don’t see why it would be troublesome and the cvts been changed they’re not problems like the past. Enjoy your new car there will always be recalls that pop up every now and then and while under warranty drive with peace of mind.

I just had the dealer perform the 12,000km service on my 23 Rogue SL. We're at the one year mark and this new 1.5 VC-Turbo has been excellent. Fuel economy is much better than the older 2.5 4-banger that was installed in my 2019. Power and torque are great and the vehicle really moves. I've only got a 2 year lease, so I'm not too invested in longevity, but we're loving this new Rogue.

Back