Thoughts on the 2023 Nissan Rogue 1.5 variable compression engine?

I remember when EFI was newfangled.
Ditto. I remember people complaining at the same time about how cars were too hard to work on and didn't like the new aero styling.
The less "mature" term would be "new tech". Anybody under 60 doesn't know what "new fangled" is.
I'd argue, more like, under 15, although I'm guessing it's more like 25 and under who don't know what it means (hang on, there's a cloud going by that needs to be addressed).

For the record, I have both a 2 year old car and a 24 year old car. And I'm a long ways from 60 (albeit not as far as it once was :( ).

Ditto. I remember people complaining at the same time about how cars were too hard to work on and didn't like the new aero styling.

I'd argue, more like, under 15, although I'm guessing it's more like 25 and under who don't know what it means (hang on, there's a cloud going by that needs to be addressed).

For the record, I have both a 2 year old car and a 24 year old car. And I'm a long ways from 60 (albeit not as far as it once was :( ).
Your in the minority age wise-and also by driving a two year old car.:)

Your in the minority age wise-and also by driving a two year old car.:)
Well, the 24 year old one is my daily, so I'm back in the majority. Working at tech company, that puts me back into the minority though, only the guy into muscle cars has older stuff.

I do a bit of ham radio at times and find myself in the minority there, one of the younger guys on Morse code it seems. But that's like a minority of a minority, so... I suspect I'm in my own group, a group of one, which is fine by me. :)

Well, the 24 year old one is my daily, so I'm back in the majority. Working at tech company, that puts me back into the minority though, only the guy into muscle cars has older stuff.

I do a bit of ham radio at times and find myself in the minority there, one of the younger guys on Morse code it seems. But that's like a minority of a minority, so... I suspect I'm in my own group, a group of one, which is fine by me. :)
I was told by a Ham Radio (old guy) operator as recently as a week ago one does not need to know Morse Code anymore to pass the Ham Operators test anymore. So-impressed a young guy new it!

I was told by a Ham Radio (old guy) operator as recently as a week ago one does not need to know Morse Code anymore to pass the Ham Operators test anymore. So-impressed a young guy new it!
Well, at 46 I stopped being new (and young) long ago.

Code did get dropped a number of years ago. I got to ride in on the lessening requirements. Good/bad, dunno, nothing stays the same, and the mode will slowly erode away I'm sure. Just like all other technology, it has its day in the sun.

I hope you enjoy it. Take care of it and you'll likely be fine.
I recall:
Disc brakes - unnecessary, complex, Eurotrash.
Catalytic Converters - The end of any hope for horsepower.
EFI - More unnecessary, complex, Eurotrash.
Computer Controls - End of any DIY.
ABS - We're all giving up control and gonna crash and die.
AWD - the same as all above.
All WRONG.
That's enough for now. Getting old, but not a Luddite,
D

Let me guess:

1. Variable Compression
2. Variable Valve Timing
3. Variable Valve Lift
4. Variable Displacement (multiple cylinder deactivation)
5. Direct Fuel Injection (intake valves filthy at 100k)
6. Three Cylinders (inherently out of balance forever)

How complicated of a car can you get?

Have the towing company's phone number on speed dial.
Don’t forget that it probably takes premium fuel as well

I hope you enjoy it. Take care of it and you'll likely be fine.
I recall:
Disc brakes - unnecessary, complex, Eurotrash.
Catalytic Converters - The end of any hope for horsepower.
EFI - More unnecessary, complex, Eurotrash.
Computer Controls - End of any DIY.
ABS - We're all giving up control and gonna crash and die.
AWD - the same as all above.
All WRONG.
That's enough for now. Getting old, but not a Luddite,
I have a Popular Science issue from the mid-'60s wherein Smokey Yunick and PS's science editor debate the merits of drum brakes vs. discs.

Smokey argued for drums, and made some really good points. But by the time I read this old issue 15 to 20 years ago, I had long preferred discs.

I have a Popular Science issue from the mid-'60s wherein Smokey Yunick and PS's science editor debate the merits of drum brakes vs. discs.

Smokey argued for drums, and made some really good points. But by the time I read this old issue 15 to 20 years ago, I had long preferred discs.
Wow. I thought that I was the only one that remembered Smokey. I read everything he ever wrote (and that could get my hands on) and I tried my best to absorb and understand everything that he said. I think that he knew more about engines than anyone before or since. I had the pleasure of visting his garage in Daytona Beach back in the late 1960s. It was amazing to see how many of the Nascar racers had their race cars in his shop all at the same time.

If you get your car buying advice from CR, there is nothing I can say to help you.
Consumer Reports is a great place to find out how reliable cars are. Nissans are a great choice if you like seat frame rail weld recalls, exploding CVT's and have repossessions on your credit report.

I think it's cool. Definitely a lot more complication than I'd like. Would like to test drive one and see how it does. I'd probably end up with the 2.5L as I'm a base model kinda guy.

Seems like they hold up okay. They have been out for 5? model years now and haven't heard of them being a dumpster fire.

I also think i3s sound cool under load and wound out.

You do realize. don't you, that you're just the Guinea pig for an extremely complicated piece of machinery with several features that no has ever seen before and that no one knows how to diagnose or repair and disasters when they get out into the real world. The Chevy Vega engines are a shining example of that.

Back