Thoughts on my homebrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
50% Redline 10W-30
50% Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Car/Motor: 1990 IROC-Z, highly modified. ~380hp to the rear wheels. Not a daily driver - but IS driven on the street. Mostly 1/4 mile stuff in terms of racing. But, this car IS driven hard ... especially since it is more of a toy than transportation. There is ~34K on the STOCK shortblock (topped off with AFR heads, a big cam, and a MiniRam). FWIW, this car is driven on the street much more than it is raced.

Reasoning behind this homebrew:
Benefits of the Mo from the Redline combined with the benefits of the best that Mobil 1 has to offer. Delvac has no Mo so it seems like a match made in heaven. Even diluted by half this mix should still give 300+ of Mo. I picked those weights because I live in MD and the car is not kept in a warm garage. Thus, I wanted something that would flow at 0ºF. Delvac says 65 below zero and Redline 10W-30 indicates 35 below zero so I should be good to go. I didn't pick 10W-40 Redline because I don't want to thicken it up too much because I don't want to lose horsepower to a much thicker oil when the previous 5W-30 was holding up just fine. I liked the idea of thickening it up a little bit with the Delvac in order to be just a little bit on the safe side.

Thoughts or concerns? I already have both oils in my possession for the sole purpose of putting together this home brew.

Tim

[ October 28, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Tim_Siford ]

They are both high ester fluids so it will be interesting to see your UOA's on this mix. And with a 50/50 mix, you should see 300 ppm of moly.

You should get approx. a 7W35 out of this.

Sounds good to me, but... why do you care about cold pour with a monster like that? Do you plan on driving it in the winter? Man, I wouldn't even take my stock Mustang out in the rain (scary enough).

I'm sure you'll get some better opinions on the homebrew than mine.

First even if you do run this in the winter I doubt that cold pour of pumpability issues will be a problem! MOst places in NA really do not present a problem.

I do wounder why the mix? Straight Redline 5W40,5W30, or 10W30....... would work just great. What is the Delvac1 supposed to add that is missing from the Redline? I understand adding something to Delvac1 to get the moly but adding anything to Redline just serves to dilute it.

At any rate I am looking forward to seeing the UOA on this blend!!

There are a couple things I am trying to achieve here ...

1) High Mo without being excessive. The obvious cantidate here is Redline .... but diluting it. I want to dilute the Redline because I don't think 600+ of Mo is necessary. That's about 8 times what is found in Mobil 1 SS of a comparable weight. I have no real evidence to backup what I just said so please don't take that as a fact. I am most likely wrong ... but that's just my thoughts.

2) High TBN. Delvac 1 is a super cantidate ... plus it doesn't have Mo so it is great match for mixing with Redline.

3) High drain intervals. I'll still be draining and refilling every 1500 miles or so but if an oil can go 100,000 miles (Delvac) and survive in a Huge Turbo Diesel that puts down that much power ... than it sure as heck can go 1500 in my beast (again - an opinion with nothing to back it up .... it just makes me feeel good).

4) More Boron. Delvac fits this bill too coming in at 150ppm as compared to Redline's ~15ppm.

I am going to try to get a VOA of the mix. Just waiting on a sample kit to arrive. I debated about doing each separately but I just can't afford that right now given the $20+ a pop.

Tim

Tim,

You might want to stick to web deveoping ...
wink.gif

I'd just use the Delvac 1, or get some Redline 5w-30 and use that year round. PP of Delvac 1 is now -49F, not -65F.

Very seldom does anything synergystic come out of mixing additive chemistries ....

Tooslick

i been mixing because of the same reasons and i wanted to use a high 30 wt. 3 qts redline 5w30 and 2.5 qts delvac 1 with 8 oz. 132 and 11oz bg moa...gives me cst of 12.2

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Tim,

You might want to stick to web deveoping ...
wink.gif

I'd just use the Delvac 1, or get some Redline 5w-30 and use that year round. PP of Delvac 1 is now -49F, not -65F.

Very seldom does anything synergystic come out of mixing additive chemistries ....

Tooslick

Actually - my degree is in Chemistry
shocked.gif
Somehow I ended up as a Web Developer. I still disagree though. A great synergy comes from mixing Coca Cola and Captain Morgan's
wink.gif

Actually - I fully understand what you are saying. By mixing you are basically diluting the benefits of each oil. But, who knows. It's just an idea of mine that I want to try. I've already run full Redline in the car. I've already run full Mobil 1. I liked both. So - I'm going to mix them - lol. Unless someone can point something detrimental out about this mix??

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
I have less technical expertise than most posters here, but I believe the dangers of mixing are over blown. Try it and give us a UOA.

I totally agree. I think it would be a problem only if he was going to try and run the oil for extended intervals, but for a 3-5k run it should pose no problems, and could prove to be a nice experiment.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the various odds and sods of oils I've got in my shrine, so one of these days I'll find a guinea pig vehicle to put them in.

He who never tries will never really know if he can succeed.

Another chemical type weenie? ALLRIGHT!

As I have recommended before, it is always a good idea to send a VOA sample of the mix to T. Dyson for analysis before putting any mix into the engine. This will give you a snapshot of what you have before and after the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back