Post your homebrew here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking for the frankenblends we've all (or many of us) have used as top up, just to complete the OCI, or just to get rid of surplus oils that are brewed only to get rid of them because there's not enough of one to do a full OC on.

I will begin by stating that I'm running straight PP right now, but have debated (presently or in the recent past), among other things:

- adding a quart or two, one grade higher of the same brand and name of oil, to thicken it and possibly reduce consumption, without jumping completely out of the OEM spec'd 30 weight to a 40 weight.

- mixing synthetic and dino of the same brand and viscosity, in a 75% dino to 25% syn ratio. This is because its much cheaper than buying a syn blend here, and the idea is to keep the price closer to dino while (maybe) getting some of the benefits of synthetic.

- mixing dino with an HM oil of same brand and viscosity. Similar idea to above: HM oils are one and half to two and a half times the price of dino (depending on the sales), but in either a 50-50 ratio or only 25% HM. As above, idea is to keep the price closer to dino while introducing seal swelling and conditioning agents in HM oil.

- mixing a quart of Redline with my synthetic in my sig. PP has almost no moly, while Redline is loaded with it. Idea was to up the moly count (I like moly), but again keep cost down. Two quarts of Redline costs more than almost 5 quarts of PP here.

Like to see some custom blends posted, past or present, and how they worked out for you.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I have what I call my Rotella T Synthetic-Blend 10W40. I mixed 2 quarts RTS 5W40 with 2.5 qts Rotella T 10W30. That is for the lawn tractor.
The Montana has a gallon of Rotella T 10W30 and a half a quart of RTS 5W40 that I bought so I could change the oil. I didnt feel like opening another gallon for that half, and also the thicken it a touch.
I have a file with a few blends I was debating...

50% Penz HM 5w30
25% Penz HM 10W40
25% PP 5W30

76.5cst@40C
12.1cst@100C
VI=155

50% PP 5W50
50% PP 5W30

69.5cst@40C
12.1cst@100C
VI=173

I tried some M1 5W40 Synthetic with PYB 5W30 this summer. Culling the stash and hoping to slow oil use a bit. It made no difference, 5W20 alone still yeilded the best results in my HM Aerostar. That and TCW3 added to the gas seems to work the best, I need to do more testing to 100% certain though.

What benefits come from homebrew oil mixtures?

You can get conventional, high mileage, synthetic blend, full synthetic even oil formulated for towing hauling, SUV and trucks.

I have heard of adding a small amount of transmission fluid to a quart of oil, but wasn't that earlier days when oil detergents were not that efficient.

In my boat I run a gallon rotella 15-40 and two quarts of pennzoil 25-50 race oil that has a lot of zddp.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
What benefits come from homebrew oil mixtures?

You can get conventional, high mileage, synthetic blend, full synthetic even oil formulated for towing hauling, SUV and trucks.

I have heard of adding a small amount of transmission fluid to a quart of oil, but wasn't that earlier days when oil detergents were not that efficient.

Read the first post. Several possible reasons were given there.

-Spy

GGG - I did not do well in Chemistry, I will trust soley what is poured from the bottle...... unless its a homebrew alcoholic beverage. Cheers

Nothing wrong with that either. Some of us here just like to experiment, or get the best of two or more products by blending. Others don't. Its all good.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Nothing wrong with that either. Some of us here just like to experiment, or get the best of two or more products by blending. Others don't. Its all good.

-Spyder

+1. Nothing wrong with experimenting, especially in an older vehicle that might be using some oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back