Thoughts on Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX is a very good oil and will serve you well, but you might find better value for your money with another oil that is cheaper, like Pennzoil YB.

What kind of car are you running, driving conditions, and mileage?

Good oil, just too expensive for a dino.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
GTX is a very good oil and will serve you well, but you might find better value for your money with another oil that is cheaper, like Pennzoil YB.

Dodge Shadow 2.2L 213K miles city
Chevy S10 2.2L 91K miles mixed driving

Originally Posted By: crazycrak

You could run cooking oil in those engines... Can't kill 'em. I would use the cheapest SM rated dino oil you can find and you will get a ton of miles out of them. No need to spend the extra $$$ on a name brand like Castrol IMO.
wink.gif

You could run cooking oil in those engines... Can't kill 'em. I would use the cheapest SM rated dino oil you can find and you will get a ton of miles out of them. No need to spend the extra $$$ on a name brand like Castrol IMO.
wink.gif

well this is good to hear Im always worring about the Shadow [censored] out on me

I am currently runing Castrol GTX 5w-30 In both my cars and I was wondering what everone thought of the oil.

I don't know the exact price difference, but SuperTech Synthetic at Walmart is far superior. A 5 quart jug of SuperTech Synthetic "might be" few dollars more, but just drink water the next one or two times you eat out, and you and your engine will be a lot healthier.

My dad used to work for Chrysler for 20 years and have a service station before that and is a licensed mechanic (35+ Years). Trust me, those Shadows run on anything, just change it at a reasonable interval and don't overheat them and you will run forever!

My aunt had one with over 300K Miles before she was in an accident with it, and it was still going strong with only a bit of oil consumption!

I have posted before on how clean my father-in-law's 2002 Honda engine is. He has used GTX 5W20 and fram twice a year since new. Under the oil cap the valve train looks new. He has about 100,000 km on it.

A few months ago Walmart had 1 gal jugs of GTX on sale for $8.88.

Last edited:
My dad used to work for Chrysler for 20 years and have a service station before that and is a licensed mechanic (35+ Years). Trust me, those Shadows run on anything, just change it at a reasonable interval and don't overheat them and you will run forever!

My aunt had one with over 300K Miles before she was in an accident with it, and it was still going strong with only a bit of oil consumption!

Do the Shadows have a Mitsubishi engine?

Bingo!!! There are better values out there for dino oil. Same applies for Havoline DS. Great oil, but the price is a little high compared to others in the market.

My nephew's Volvo chugs most oils like water. He ran GTX 10w-30 over winter and burned not a drop in 5k! I changed his oil w/o a top-off after adding like 3-4q over the previous ocis. Pretty convincing in that department.

Both my 02 grand caravan 3.3L and 09 fusion 2.3L love the stuff. The fusion has less valve train noise with GTX than most other oils I have tried syn and dino (tried many oils on my 06 also).

I have heard many complain on various other forums about the "ticking" from the 3.3L/3.8L in the caravans. Not the case with 5W-30 GTX (RX clean cycle).

I only buy GTX when it is really cheap at wal mart (sometimes at can tire) but may just buy more when it goes on sale. I can never seem to get PYB as cheap out here so I will stick with the GTX until then. If I keep getting these great results with this "cheap" oil I may just stick with it as my summer oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back