Castrol gtx

Status
Not open for further replies.

I bought a Porsche 928 that had Castrol GTX in it it's whole life Factory recommended weight 20/50. It has some lifter clatter when cold, due to very small orfices in the lifters.
Is Castrol Gtx convential oil known for forming gunk over time- no experiance with Castrol - thought I'd ask.
Thanks!

Castrol GTX is a solid oil and has been for as long as I can remember. You may try the 10W-40 to see how it behaves.

Likely your lifters are just tired and bleed down while the car is parked.

I used Castrol GTX in the white bottle for years. Then I started noticing what looked like dirt deposits in the bottom of the bottle. (This was before one gallon jugs came on the market). So I switched to Kendall at the time, because it had no such deposits. I know guys are going to come back and say they all have that. And now maybe many of them do. But back then Castrol GTX did, and the Kendall didn't.

Today I run Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic in my Jeep, and Mobil 1 in my Toyota and truck. I always look for those dark deposits at the bottom, but never find any.

Originally Posted by billt460
I used Castrol GTX in the white bottle for years. Then I started noticing what looked like dirt deposits in the bottom of the bottle. (This was before one gallon jugs came on the market). So I switched to Kendall at the time, because it had no such deposits. I know guys are going to come back and say they all have that. And now maybe many of them do. But back then Castrol GTX did, and the Kendall didn't.

Molakule has stated that was additive and should have been shaken back in...was common with most of the "white bottle" oils that I experienced in the '80s...the "high end" oils were silver/grey/black bottles (or steel cans)

Going back to the 80's I thought Castrol was the end all be all of engine oil. Used it in 10-40 flavor in a 1988 Ford Ranger with the 2.9L V-6. Five years later the view down the oil fill was dark and dirty with 3K oci's. Maybe it was the engine. The 2.9 was not the best powerplant ever built and I suspect the pcv system was to blame. But ever since I've never had much confidence in Castrol. I know things are way different today and I am intrigued by Magnatec. But I still remember.

Speaking of memories. How about this blast from the past

Your quote regarding idiots is widely attributed to comedienne (sp?) George Carlin and Mark Twain before him. Just saying...

In the 80s Castrol was King of Varnish. If I were you, I would do 32oz (qt bottle) of Rislone in your next OCI.
I prefer the 32oz offering over-that of the 16oz Rislone Concentrate. To me, the 32oz works better to help quiet those lifters.

Last edited:
No way Castrol gtx is a true and tested oil. My sister's Corolla has over 200k my brother in law always picks gtx.

The van my dad is driving (2012 Caravan) was my fleet vehicle at work. It saw regular oil changes with Castrol GTX Bulk from the lube place up here while the fleet was paying for it. Fast forward and the engine has over 300K on it and runs perfectly with no consumption or leaks. My dad is currently running whatever is on sale with Fram orange can equivalent filter cartridges.

A long time fan and user of GTX, I do think the old stuff was pretty prone to varnish if left in too long. Engines seemed to run forever on it though. The current stuff seems to be as good or better than about anything going, especially the UltraClean. I would not hesitate to run (and have) UltraClean 5k in reasonable use. No varnish.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Castrol GTX is a solid oil and has been for as long as I can remember.

Always looked mostly liquid to me, and I used the thick stuff.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
A long time fan and user of GTX, I do think the old stuff was pretty prone to varnish if left in too long.

Ah, OK. Hence the expression....

Originally Posted by billt460

Today I run Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic in my Jeep, and Mobil 1 in my Toyota and truck. I always look for those dark deposits at the bottom, but never find any.

A lot of people on here have reported seeing deposits in the bottom of the jug of Pennzoil products actually, but it doesn't seem to affect it's performance.

Originally Posted by 928
I bought a Porsche 928 that had Castrol GTX in it it's whole life Factory recommended weight 20/50. It has some lifter clatter when cold, due to very small orfices in the lifters.
Is Castrol Gtx convential oil known for forming gunk over time- no experiance with Castrol - thought I'd ask.
Thanks!

It depends on how long you run the oil.. Hydraulic lifters are the tightest clearenced things on an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back