HPL in FB25 Outback, cleaning/consumption?

MDN

In late 2021 I obtained a 114k 2013 Subaru Outback from the somewhat infamous first batch of possible oil burners/leakers. Obviously being 8 years old and of unknown provenance (besides Carfax saying it mainly lived in Florida, and being of clean title) I had no clue what oil changes, maintenance, etc. was done, nor did I know if it had had the shortblock replaced under warranty like the really bad oil guzzlers did.

I started it on 5W20 Valvoline Full Synthetic and it turned the 0.8 liter low oil light on at 3000mi multiple times. After 14k of this (two loads) I switched to 5W20 Castrol Edge which did the 0.8 liter low in 3900mi twice.

About this time in the story I come back around here and find out about the No VII oil from HPL and decide to add a Baxter anti-drainback valve (FB engines start with empty oil filter and galleries without it) which also switches to a M22 threaded taller filter. A full load of HP 5W20 EURO No VII and a Fram Ultra XG10575 were all added along with a replacement of all factory PCV parts so that I can rule out/eliminate oil consumption there. Also added a small cyclone catch can in line with the PCV valve so I can get the last bit and also see how much oil tries to come into the intake manifold.

I had read some of the threads about “cleaning” oil control rings with this oil and that’s why I switched to it, since the FB25 has small low tension ones. I was planning to run this first filter for 2000mi then cutting it open and checking for deposits, but to my surprise - 1100mi in, the 0.8 liter low oil light is on! I took the underpanels off and inspected to make sure that there weren’t leaks or other signs of where the oil has gone, and there are none. I was even wondering if the “cleaning” would reveal RTV leaks which these are known for, but so far there aren’t any. The cyclone catch can in PCV stream gathered just trace residue, probably less than 0.5 ounce.

Other than the disappearing of the oil it ran great and seems to be getting marginally better fuel economy with less tip in knock than before.

Cliff notes - first 1100mi with EURO No VII in the same grade as Valvoline and Castrol has 3x the oil consumption/disappearance

Thoughts? Is there some way that “cleaning” temporarily changes oil consumption in a way like this? Since I’m out of top off bottles of HPL and need to order more since I’ve used the whole 6 quart box, should I still buy 5W20 or go to a 30? Was this whole thing a bad idea?

How did I turn a non-consuming FB25 into a guzzler? Will it stop?

What am I missing?

(I am reaching out to David already)

Last edited:
I feel your pain. My wife drives a '13 Outback with the FB25 engine. We bought it new, so I'm familiar with it's full life history. It started consuming oil at about 40k miles, eventually getting to about the same consumption rate you are reporting. It typically consumes about 2 quarts between each 7500 mile oci.

When Subaru settled the class action suit, I was at about 90k miles, so I took it in for the oil consumption test. It didn't use enough oil during the test period to qualify for a new short block.

Living in cold climate, I have typically fed her 0W-20, but used 5W-20 for one oil change. It didn't make any difference. I've used Pennzoil Platinum, Royal Purple HP, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 AFE, Idemitsu and Kirkland. No significant change in oil consumption with any of them. Prior to the 150k oil change, I ran a can of BG EPR before draining the old oil. If it helped, it wasn't significantly.

When I run out of my inventory of 0W-20, I'm going to start using M1 0W-40 Euro in her, to see if it slows the oil consumption. Even if it doesn't help, at least I'll simplify my motor oil inventory, as I already use M1 0W-40 Euro in my car, mower and snow blower.

I've really just become accustomed to the fact that the engine consumes oil, and I get to pack a quart of make-up oil whenever we go on a long road trip. I wish I could tell you better news, but I don't think there is any magic bullet for fixing it.

Unfortunately this engine needs rings and probably pistons to cure it, no oil is going to cure it. You may be able to slow it down with a higher HTHS oil 3.5> but long term this is your best bet. Add a grand for planing the heads, gaskets, oil pump and a timing chain set and it will run like brand new.

Unfortunately this engine needs rings and probably pistons to cure it, no oil is going to cure it. You may be able to slow it down with a higher HTHS oil 3.5> but long term this is your best bet. Add a grand for planing the heads, gaskets, oil pump and a timing chain set and it will run like brand new.

Neighbor's 14 FB25 has the revised pistons/rings, still drinks oil. It is outside of the cut-off for the warranty extension, but Subaru offered to contribute to the repair. Out of pocket was still over $3K, he declined. His is currently drinking 1 qt/2000 miles. It varies a little bit by oil brand, but it has increased from 1 qt/3000 miles to 1 qt/2000 miles in the last 10k.

Thats why a new shortblock is best. Subaru TSB doesnt even want the bores honed despite small vertical scratches in the bore, basically the cheapest possible fix to slow it down. Doing a short block is quick and easy.
Local dealer quoted $7-$8K to do one, and that was at warranty rate.

Not to slow y’all’s roll but if, worst case, my choice is between adding a quart every 1500mi, and having a shortblock replaced (which I can, and have done myself already)

I will buy oil. The wagon runs great and has no other issues and doesn’t leak.

I was more interested in hearing people speak to what may account for ester/AN oil cleaning resulting in added oil consumption.

Not to slow y’all’s roll but if, worst case, my choice is between adding a quart every 1500mi, and having a shortblock replaced (which I can, and have done myself already)

I was more interested in hearing people speak to what may account for ester/AN oil cleaning resulting in added oil consumption.
You might want to PM HPL here and they can probably answer your question.

I get that.

Industry standard (and auto manufacturers) accepts 1 quart consumption in 1,000 miles is considered acceptable. At 1 quart in 3,000 miles I don't think you have an oil consumption issue (although not ideal).

EDIT: I would use 5w-30.

Dissect the filter, see if it has liberated anything.

I take care of a lot of these engines. I think there is a point of no return in the consumption rate where efforts to clean the rings do not help, and you may be right at that cusp.
The FB25 in my 2018 Forester (yes it is phase 2 FB25 port injected, yes it is different than 2013 FB25) was put on HPL last oil change and outside of the pcv related consumption during 2 isolated and corrected events (with new pcv valve) it has not consumed more than 1/4 quart of oil from consumption in 12,000 miles. I will get uoa and post at 16k. Previously this engine was about a quart in 8k consumption. I do believe HPL can save consumption problems in these engines but when caught early enough may be important.

Cliff notes - first 1100mi with EURO No VII in the same grade as Valvoline and Castrol has 3x the oil consumption/disappearance
Have you tried switching back to the Valvoline or Castrol to see if the oil consumption went back down like before with those oils?

I take care of a lot of these engines. I think there is a point of no return in the consumption rate where efforts to clean the rings do not help, and you may be right at that cusp.
The FB25 in my 2018 Forester (yes it is phase 2 FB25 port injected, yes it is different than 2013 FB25) was put on HPL last oil change and outside of the pcv related consumption during 2 isolated and corrected events (with new pcv valve) it has not consumed more than 1/4 quart of oil from consumption in 12,000 miles. I will get uoa and post at 16k. Previously this engine was about a quart in 8k consumption. I do believe HPL can save consumption problems in these engines but when caught early enough may be important.
Sounds like the safest plan is to start using HPL as soon as the factory fill is drained 😎

Have you tried switching back to the Valvoline or Castrol to see if the oil consumption went back down like before with those oils?
No, plan is to try 5W30 and do more data gathering before considering something besides HPL

Sounds like the safest plan is to start using HPL as soon as the factory fill is drained 😎
Tough call for those of us who intentionally own cars in model years that don’t have DI, electric power steering, and camera/cruise control nannies - can you even buy something like this new?

Back