Thoughts on ACDelco Full Synthetic 5W-30, Dexos1-Gen3

Hello all, I'll be purchasing a new GM truck soonish with the 2.7L turbo L3B 4-cylinder engine. The manual calls for Dexos1-Gen3 5W-30.

I'll be playing by the rules during the warranty period and took a look at the licensed Dexos1-Gen3 oils. There are plenty of nice oils in there such as Mobil1 Extended Performance and Castrol EDGE but one stuck out to me based on price.

The ACDelco Full Synthetic Dexos1-Gen3 (P/N: 19432351) can be had for $5.50/qt online from GM dealerships. And the ACDelco Gold UPF66R is easily found also.

I do my own oil changes so I sort of need to play by their rules until the warranty is up. What are everyone's thoughts on the ACDelco Full Synthetic oil?

Hello all, I'll be purchasing a new GM truck soonish with the 2.7L turbo L3B 4-cylinder engine. The manual calls for Dexos1-Gen3 5W-30.

I'll be playing by the rules during the warranty period and took a look at the licensed Dexos1-Gen3 oils. There are plenty of nice oils in there such as Mobil1 Extended Performance and Castrol EDGE but one stuck out to me based on price.

The ACDelco Full Synthetic Dexos1-Gen3 (P/N: 19432351) can be had for $5.50/qt online from GM dealerships. And the ACDelco Gold UPF66R is easily found also.

I do my own oil changes so I sort of need to play by their rules until the warranty is up. What are everyone's thoughts on the ACDelco Full Synthetic oil?
I've been trying to find a PDS for the ACDelco oil bc the tech drained my Amsoil SS and likely put this in. I have since dumped it and put in M1 EP 5w30. I think the Noack is probably a tad higher than I prefer with the ACDelco oil. I'd personally jump up to M1 in your engine.

@buster Mobil1 EP would have been my normal go-to but the ACDelco Full Synthetic @ $5.50 per quart is hard to argue with.

The Gen3 ACDelco stuff seems to be newish. The part number exists and you can find it on ebay and Amazon but the best prices by far are through online dealerships. The Gen3 stuff doesn't even exist on ACDelco's website even though they show the picture of it on their website.

@buster Mobil1 EP would have been my normal go-to but the ACDelco Full Synthetic @ $5.50 per quart is hard to argue with.

The Gen3 ACDelco stuff seems to be newish. The part number exists and you can find it on ebay and Amazon but the best prices by far are through online dealerships. The Gen3 stuff doesn't even exist on ACDelco's website even though they show the picture of it on their website.
You should get one or two free oil changes with the new truck that you haven't bought.

It's fine I'm sure. I'd just prefer the turbo protection ability of M1 vs the Delco.

It's decent run of the mill P66 oil. Nothing extravagant about it but also not bottom of the barrel.
could you share where you found normal AC Delco full synthetic motor oil is a P66 product???...I've seen this several times on this Forum but never where that information was gleaned...the Cadillac, Buick GMC and Chevrolet dealerships (3 separate dealerships) I have dealt with since 2017 show that they use Mobil lubricants including their motor oil...

Mobil 1 of course is an upcharge but the "run of the mill" AC Delco full synthetic has been told to me at all three of those dealerships as a Mobil oil product

to the OP...if you are doing your own oil changes, using a Mobil 1 product that is Dexos 1 Gen3 approved motor oil is also called out by name along with AC Delco motor oil for oil changes...I would think you could find Mobil 1 when on sale to be as cheap or cheaper than $5 a quart when bought in the 5 quart jugs...

good luck with your choice

Bill

could you share where you found normal AC Delco full synthetic motor oil is a P66 product???...I've seen this several times on this Forum but never where that information was gleaned...the Cadillac, Buick GMC and Chevrolet dealerships (3 separate dealerships) I have dealt with since 2017 show that they use Mobil lubricants including their motor oil...

Mobil 1 of course is an upcharge but the "run of the mill" AC Delco full synthetic has been told to me at all three of those dealerships as a Mobil oil product

to the OP...if you are doing your own oil changes, using a Mobil 1 product that is Dexos 1 Gen3 approved motor oil is also called out by name along with AC Delco motor oil for oil changes...I would think you could find Mobil 1 when on sale to be as cheap or cheaper than $5 a quart when bought in the 5 quart jugs...

good luck with your choice

Bill
so, 2 reasons as to how/why it's P66 oil.

1st: the bottles, they're P66 bottles.

2nd: MSDS sheet - https://netmsds.phillips66.com/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=831426&Language=EN&IssueDate=8/29/2022&SubFormat=USDS

if that doesn't work, then: https://www.phillips66.com/safety-data-sheets/

Product Identifier: ACDelco dexos1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil Other means of identification: ACDelco dexos1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 ACDelco dexos1® Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 ACDelco dexos1® (GEN3) Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 ACDelco dexos1® (GEN3) Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 88865907, 88865908, 88865762, 88865909, 88865991, 88865992, 88865743, 88865763 19432327, 19432329, 19432328, 19432323, 19432324, 19432325, 19432326, 19432330, 19432321, 19432322, 19432319, 19432320 Code: 831426 Issue date: 29-Aug-2022 Relevant identified uses: Automotive Engine Oil Uses advised against: All others 24 Hour Emergency Phone Number: CHEMTREC Global +1 703 527 3887 CHEMTREC United States 1-800-424-9300 CHEMTREC Mexico 01-800-681-9531 Manufacturer/Supplier: Phillips 66 Lubricants A Division of Phillips 66 Company P.O. Box 421959 Houston, Texas 77242-1959 SDS Information: URL: www.phillips66.com/SDS Phone: 800-762-0942
SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients Substance CASRN Concentration¹ Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7

This is, of course, speaking to the 1 and 5 quart bottles/jugs of oil. If it's bulk oil or in drums, it may be Mobil 1, at the dealer.

I wouldn't run the high detergent long drain EP during wear in. Do short intervals with the AC Delco oil for a couple changes -3k max miles. Then run what you like. A big 4 banger making big block torque should likely want the Supercar lubricant spec for their hi-po V8. Or at least sneak a couple qts of M1 0w40FS in there

I know that is what is on the lot - a ton of quad cab 4 bangers, but I would think hard about getting the V8.

Reactions: wlk
so, 2 reasons as to how/why it's P66 oil.

1st: the bottles, they're P66 bottles.

2nd: MSDS sheet - https://netmsds.phillips66.com/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=831426&Language=EN&IssueDate=8/29/2022&SubFormat=USDS

if that doesn't work, then: https://www.phillips66.com/safety-data-sheets/

This is, of course, speaking to the 1 and 5 quart bottles/jugs of oil. If it's bulk oil or in drums, it may be Mobil 1, at the dealer.
I always thought AC Delco oil was Mobil, but you're right - the bottles are exact clones of P66 bottles.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
listing_pic_1661606_1558544950.jpeg

thanks so much...I've never seethe bottles as I have never bought ACD by the bottle...only used it when I had the free oil changes from the dealership and they used bulk Mobil products according to those dealerships and their paper "carpet protectors"...

thanks again for the education and helping me out on this tyman... :cool:(y)

Bill

thanks so much...I've never seethe bottles as I have never bought ACD by the bottle...only used it when I had the free oil changes from the dealership and they used bulk Mobil products according to those dealerships and their paper "carpet protectors"...

thanks again for the education and helping me out on this tyman... :cool:(y)

Bill
Absolutely. :)

I wouldn't run the high detergent long drain EP during wear in. Do short intervals with the AC Delco oil for a couple changes -3k max mi. Then run what you like. A big 4 banger making big block torque should likely want the Supercar lubricant spec for their hi-po V8. Or at least sneak a couple qts of M1 0w40FS in there

I know that is what is on the lot - a ton of quad cab 4 bangers, but I would think hard about getting the V8.
This seems like excellent advice. Tbh, there’s a thought lurking in my mind that the Dexos1Gen3 is geared almost exclusively to address the small turbocharged 4 cyl engine problems. To me, it’s asking a bit much of a 1.5l to power a 5 passenger SUV w/AWD. (Equinox) LFV Engine. I hear they are overheating- turbo failure-oil pressure problems. I realize that they should benefit from the new formula.
But I’m wondering if some of the attributes of the Gen2 that benefited older models were sacrificed to cater to their small engine program and its problems. ???idk

I just wanted to chime about the filter and applaud your choice. Not only for warranty purposes but because I don’t trust the ACDelco blue “professional“ line. They do meet specs for sure but I cut one open (used) and found the glued media seam wide open. That filter has a 23psi bypass spec so they know how critical it is that the media withstand some pressure. SMH.

I just changed the factory fill at 4k on my brand new 2.7

I thought about getting the AC delco oil I have a good connection on that but I really wasn't super excited about it being a 66 product just re bottled also the fact that some AC delco is Mobil and some is 66 just depends on the application

Also the low oil pressure on the dash is seriously concerning and takes some getting used to ....I guess this due to the variable oil pump

If there was a way to bump it up a few pounds I would feel better but im guessing CAFE regs and engine drag are to blame

I ended up with M1 Truck and SUV 5W30 until I can hear the masses shift

Back