Need Dexos1 Gen3 5W-30 Recommendation

So I’m in your boat as well (Acadia 3.6). What blows my mind is the idea that we (high feature engine guys) had once been the oil dil·et·tantes in searching for an oil to make the timing chains completely happy. No more. Now it’s the small engine turbo people—thanks to manufacturers. Idk, friend at work just had like$5000 work on an ecoboost ford truck. Warranty, sure but phasers and turbos and sensors, oh my.
Once again, complexity is the enemy of reliability. Engines have timing belts instead of chains that will last a million miles to make them quieter. Does submerging a belt in oil make them last longer? Maybe it shortens their life. I don’t see motorcycles with belt driven final drives soaked in oil. Nowadays everything in a vehicle is connected to everything else and more things to go wrong down the road.

Once again, complexity is the enemy of reliability. Engines have timing belts instead of chains that will last a million miles to make them quieter. Does submerging a belt in oil make them last longer? Maybe it shortens their life. I don’t see motorcycles with belt driven final drives soaked in oil. Nowadays everything in a vehicle is connected to everything else and more things to go wrong down the road.
Has there been an engine built in the last 20 years with a timing belt??? I think they all have chains now. And even when belts were used, they were never running through oil.

Has there been an engine built in the last 20 years with a timing belt??? I think they all have chains now. And even when belts were used, they were never running through oil.
:LOL: Yes, plenty. And there definitely are belt in oil engines as well.

Honda still uses a timing belt which requires replacement at 105000 miles or every 7 years, which ever comes first, on the Pilots, Ridgelines, and other models.

This would be my choice.
IMG_0710.jpeg

Honda still uses a timing belt which requires replacement at 105000 miles or every 7 years, which ever comes first, on the Pilots, Ridgelines, and other models.
I guess I learned something today. Though it looks like the Honda V6 is about the only one left.

Back