Thoughts on a Glock 21 SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at hand guns for various reasons, and I keep coming back to the Glock 21 SF. I like the .45 & the fact that it can also be used for hunting.

Does anyone have any experiences with this gun, or would I be better off going for the G30?

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I'm looking at hand guns for various reasons, and I keep coming back to the Glock 21 SF. I like the .45 & the fact that it can also be used for hunting.

Does anyone have any experiences with this gun, or would I be better off going for the G30?

First of all there are many .45ACP platforms and not many of them are really suitable for hunting. What will you be stalking?

Second - do you really like Glock? Have you shot many Glocks?

I would look at some other .45ACP offerings as well.

Not trying to talk you out of a Glock. I have a Gen III 17L and a Gen III 20C = GREAT guns! But somehow for .45ACP I like 1911's.

Quite a few EXCELLENT .45acp pistols out there.

I've had the Glock 21 for MANY years and no longer own glocks. Springfields Xd/XDM, Smith and Wessons M&P, Ruger's P90/ P345 and many 1911s are good to go. Quite a few choices in the market and they all shoot great.

If I could pick only one (thankfully we don't have to) it would be a toss up between the M&P or XD for ME with the 1911 coming very close to the mix.

What use and how much do you want to spend? Experience level?

Bill

Thanks for the responses. A buddy of mine is in law enforcement, and Glocks are standard issue for him. He loves them and carries at least two on him at all times. He has said you never have to worry about the Glock 21 firing going from something like extreme temperature changes or even light to moderate moisture. I've also heard good things about the XDM series from Springfield.

My main purpose for owning this would be to put wounded animals out of their misery if the first shot was not a kill shot. There are random reports of wolves & mountain lions back home as well now, so this could also be considered a protection thing if we are out mushroom hunting.

I'd say I have moderate experience with firearms but limited on the pistol side. I've got strong forearms and hands, so recoil shouldn't be an issue. For what it's worth, I have better than 20/20 vision with my contacts in.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
He has said you never have to worry about the Glock 21 firing going from something like extreme temperature changes or even light to moderate moisture.

I can see not wanting a mild steel gun in a severe marine environment (stainless would help), but you got me on the temp change thing. That doesn't make much sense. Guns/modern cartridges can go from severe cold (-50° and below) to being thrown in a hot dryer and not discharge.

Anyway, I suppose a .45ACP would serve your purpose. Do your local ranges rent guns for use on site? Many don't unless you are a gun owner/member already.

Glock would be OK. Whatever you get, practice a LOT. It's amazing how much you can improve.

Personally with that info I'd suggest a 9mm or .40 S&W. Load it with the correct ammo for the situation and all is good.

The smaller frame firearms are easier to carry around period. And this is from someone who carries all the time either on the hip or concealed AND is a large framed guy. I can tell the difference between a snub nose .38 sp, compact auto like a M&Pc and 1911.

I'd suggest looking at a Ruger SR40 (either full size or compact), Ruger SR9c (not really liking the full size there) or XD in the 9mm. Close to the mix would be the M&P. All great weapons.

My sister just got a weapon to carry around on her hip due to concerns when out walking and picked up the full size SR40. She has no problem with its recoil. All of the striker fired weapons do have a slight issue with "limp wrist-ing" and Glocks even more.

Take care, bill

PS: All the weapons I suggested would be just as dependable as the Glock in all conditions. Glock does not have that covered anymore IMO.

I picked the XDM-45 (Bi-tone) over the Glock 21. To me, it's a better looking gun, and fits better in my hands. Plus when I bought it, Springfield sent me 3 additional magazines for free.

Love my 21 SF. Lots of rounds and always reliable. What more could you want? I have the +4's so 18 rounds of 230 grain HP's are always ready to go...

For your intended purpose, using it as a second gun to finish a wounded animal, I would choose the Model 30 Glk.

Very reliable; very low maintenance. Very safe weapon in case you would drop or fall on it; pratically impossible to discharge unless you intend to. Less metal means less chance of moisture turning to rust when out hunting; true of any polymer gun. You're probably going to be close enough to get a good shot, and a large bore handgun is a good choice. I suggest the 30 because it's smaller and lighter than a 20, so it would be easier to carry on the hunt. (Of course, that's relative ....)

Last edited:
I own a Glock21SF. It is THE gun I would carry on duty if they let me pick my own, but I am stuck with what the department uses. They are highly reliable and carry 14 rounds of .45ACP. What's not to like?

I would also look into the Glock 30SF as another poster said. A little easier to carry when in the woods.

+1 on G21SF ...also very accurate with 2 inch groups at 25 yrds routine . Many are opting for the G21SF over the new G21 Gen 4 as not too many people want the G21 grip larger ! ...G21SF = just right !

The G21SF is a fantastic pistol, even for 3 gun matches, hunting, protection or whatever. If you want a full size .45, this is your go-to pistol. Make sure you handle it at the store and like the grip feel and grip angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back