Those with 150,000 miles or more, check in

I've since traded it in but I had a 2008 Sport Trac, 4.0 V6, that I got new, tried a few different oils and got the best UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum. PP 5w-30 and Motorcraft filter every 5k. I never touched the engine except for spark plugs and put 212,000 miles on it when it blew a head gasket. Burned less than a quart of oil per OCI. I'd already put enough money into it the previous two years so I traded it on a new Ranger.
That engine is known for the timing chains going south after 150k but I never had a problem.
For a couple minutes there, I sensed you were the heralded Johnny of Pennzoil fame that roamed this board for many years and gave tons of good advice to members here. ;)

In your avatar and right of your pictured blue truck, is a long handrail apartment / condo. That place looks like it requires around a 20-steps workout, to enter the front door.

I worked 30 years selling / delivering beer and I couldn't climb those steps every night after work .....lol

For a couple minutes there, I sensed you were the heralded Johnny of Pennzoil fame that roamed this board for many years and gave tons of good advice to members here. ;)

In your avatar and right of your pictured blue truck, is a long handrail apartment / condo. That place looks like it requires around a 20-steps workout, to enter the front door.

I worked 30 years selling / delivering beer and I couldn't climb those steps every night after work .....lol
It's not an apartment, it's my house. The white railing is my next door neighbor's house but mine is the same, just hidden by the truck. It's about 15 steps. I live in western PA where there isn't a level patch of ground anywhere.
I got a new left knee 12 weeks ago so it helps with my rehab. :D First two weeks after surgery I didn't leave the house though.

Last edited:
178,480 on a 2016 Nissan Altima 2.5L w/ CVT.

First 60k was at Nissan dealer, 5k changes. Next 128K was 5 to 8k changes except for that one time I went 20k with the Mobil extended and a K&N filter.
The last 30k or so has been 5k changes with Mobil HM 0w-20 with a Wix filter.

CVT is drain and fill at 25k (after the first 60k) and filter replacement at 150k (both of them). No issues with car so far. Mostly highway miles.

345,000 kms on 2005 Ford Falcon BA wagon auto. Purchased at 185,000 kms unknown service history. Plugs/coils, water pump, idler/tensioner and alternator replaced. Using double dose Rislone to clean it up and now runs like new.

An older in-law of mine had a hip replacement some years ago. And had the usual 6 months of physical therapy afterwards. But it never felt “right” and she felt something was wrong, but being a big raw boned Texas woman she didn’t want to be labeled a complainer.

Sure enough, it wasn’t but a few months after the physical therapy ended that she got a call from the Dr’s office. There was a “recall” on the hip replacement parts and she’d have to have the surgery all over again, along with another 6 months of rehabilitation.

That convinced me to let the doctors practice on someone else

An older in-law of mine had a hip replacement some years ago. And had the usual 6 months of physical therapy afterwards. But it never felt “right” and she felt something was wrong, but being a big raw boned Texas woman she didn’t want to be labeled a complainer.

Sure enough, it wasn’t but a few months after the physical therapy ended that she got a call from the Dr’s office. There was a “recall” on the hip replacement parts and she’d have to have the surgery all over again, along with another 6 months of rehabilitation.

That convinced me to let the doctors practice on someone else
Our local machine shop's owner had a hip replacement a few years ago. He has had it "pop out" twice now. Excruciating pain he told me, he is in his late 60s. I told him they need to make him a replacement hip in house with their CNC machines with Teflon and titanium. I bet theirs would be much better tolerances. I told him to just bring it with him next time he goes in! LOL

Get well soon Johnny! I just had my knee replaced a year ago. It's just now resembling normalcy in my walks. A little swelling still.
Keep the good posts coming.(y)

My grandson's got my former Chevy Colorado P/U. Saw it last week and the five cylinder is still running like a top 20 years now at 165k.

Wish our Hyundai and Kia took six quarts of oil, like the Colorado does. Would mean less times changing the oil at 72 years old.
My Pela 650 Oil Extractor helps and I use it every-other oil change, when I'm not changing the oil filter.

Maybe someday I can enter the Colorado P/U in a thread titled 200k Miles or More, check-in.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm "checking in" now because the odometer of my Prius passed 150,000 indicated miles today. The engine shows no apparent degradation of any kind since I got the car ~109k ago. 150k is not high mileage.

I never considered high mileage to be anything under 250,000 until I started paying attention to the internet.

Online, older cars from the 1950’s-1960’s get a lot of bad press saying they were worn out at 100,000.

No one I knew in those decades would even consider getting a newer car before their daily driver had hit 200,000, or more.

We changed the oil, oil filter at 3,000 miles, and changed the air filter at every other oil change. Aside from adjusting the points at 7,500 miles, that was all in the way of engine maintenance.

Z

Create engines can come with a Million Mile warranty.

I have 210k on my Kia Sedona. The 1st owner has 3k mile oil changes for the first 190k. He always used 5w-30 even though the manual says 5w-20. I am the second owner and I switched to Full syn and go 6k. I stayed with the 5w-30 since it seems like he knows something and had great results.

I once read Ford switched from 5w30 to 5w-20 on subsequent model years, on the same engines, with no changes, only to get a better MPG rating. Not sure if that is true. But I have no trouble believing it.

2007 Impreza 2.5i, 4EAT. Just turned 187k even though it’s been relegated to airport-only trips lately. Original HGs, weeps about 1/2-1 cup of oil onto the exhaust (been that way since I bought it at 116k). Since the coolant side is still sealed tight, I simply check the oil every 3 months (~750 miles or so). It’s on the right side below. 2” King loft springs make a world of difference!
IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg

I never considered high mileage to be anything under 250,000 until I started paying attention to the internet.

Online, older cars from the 1950’s-1960’s get a lot of bad press saying they were worn out at 100,000.

No one I knew in those decades would even consider getting a newer car before their daily driver had hit 200,000, or more.

We changed the oil, oil filter at 3,000 miles, and changed the air filter at every other oil change. Aside from adjusting the points at 7,500 miles, that was all in the way of engine maintenance.
I live in the north and it was rare for anyone to get over 100k back in the day because cars would usually rust out before then.
Engines might be fine but the bodies were shot.

Painful, they tell me. Get well, do your therapy.
Thanks. I'm 15 weeks out now and doing pretty good. I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders and that hurt worse and longer.
Awful stiff when I wake up in the morning but once I get moving it's not bad.

340k on 09’ Focus 2.0 duratech. Finally had to do what great member
Stumpy said or replace valve cover gasket, seals and plugs. All OEM parts off eBay seller in VA. Not as bad as I thought. Did thermostat replacement, cleaned battery terminals and oil change.

Out: Safety Kleen 0w20 and a MC FL-910S

In Donaldson filter and some Safety Kleen 5w40 CK-4 oil.

2005 Honda Pilot, 208.5K on it. Had it since day 1, it has seen mainly 3.5-4k oil changes on it. Was dealer serviced up til about 4 years ago, had son changing oil since then. It’s had a steady diet of Mobil 1 since then. Changed it out today as matter of fact, looked like it had used about half a quart in 3k miles.

2015 Dodge Durango 3.6l, purchased new and was totalled in Sept 2019 with 169k miles. Religiously changed the oil every 5k with Mopar filters and whatever synthetic oil was on sale. It had everything from STP to Mobil1 to Walmart Supertech. Never had the engine apart for anything. Didn't use any oil or smoke. Only issue I had with it was a trans cooler/condensor and of course brakes and tires.

Our 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3, purchased three years ago at 199K km (c. 123K miles) is now at 252K km (c. 156K miles).

Previous high-mileage vehicles included:

A '68 Chev Impala 307 Powerglide, purchased in 1978 at 119K miles. I changed out the very tired engine in 1982 at 176K miles, replacing it with a slightly less worn-out 327 out of a '69 Bel Air. The Powerglide was still good, but the parts car came with a TH, so that went in at the same time.

A '90 Mazda MPV 2.6 5MT, purchased in 1996 at 228K km (c. 141K miles) and written off in 2001 at 326K km (202K miles) after an accident.

A '97 Mazda MPV 3.0 4AT, purchased in 2001 at 94K km (c. 58K miles) and retired in 2018 at 344K km (c. 214K miles) due to rust, and vandalism (two broken windows). Both sets of tires (3-season and winter) were due for replacement.

Back