Those Cheating Orange Juice Makers

most all processed foods + drinks are TOXIC-very unhealthy!! BUT MARKETING tries to convince you otherwise!! many untruths from marketing are not stopped because of $$$$. i see things say no sugar BUT there over a hundred names for sugar, so buyer beware if your long term health matters!!

I stopped buying store bought juice a few years ago and I make my own juice using a slow masticating juicer and cut the result with water and or iced tea making my own arnie palmers/ "fruit palmers".

I have apples, pears, plums & cherries I grow and I get bushels of apples donated from nearby neighbors who we'll make juice for, and I'll either buy my citrus at a store/ farmstead or get lemons when I go to LA, and buy eating oranges to juice.

So I went to Walmart tonight to get some groceries along with some more Valvoline. I decided I need some orange juice. Wasn't going to buy Florida Natural because that stuff was terribly bitter last time. Decided to try one Simply Orange and one MinuteMaid. I haven't tried the MinuteMaid yet but that Simply Orange is SWEET. I was thinking, where'd they get such sweet oranges to make such sweet orange juice? Then I got to thinking, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Sure enough, looking at the ingredients list, Stevia. They cheated. I should've known that there's no oranges that sweet available anymore to a commercial orange juice distillery. You want oranges that sweet you gotta find some mom and pop somewhere growing their own at home and beg for them. So yeah, I feel cheated. At least it wasn't sugar or worse yet - corn syrup.
Dietitians are now sayings to limit juice especially without the pulp as it has fiber. Supposedly drinking alot of juice can spike blood sugar and cause weight gain.

You should really be aware that any fruit juice is NOT GOOD for you. Too much fructose load. I'm not kidding people. Be smart.

You heard it: with or without stevia, orange juice is NOT good for you.
When my kids were first born 30 years ago, that was one thing the pediatrician always stressed to us...fruit juice bad, water good.
orange juice is NO better than most sodas as it raises blood sugar quickly that makes your body respond with an insulin release, a fat storage hormone!!! also as noted fructose like alcohol is ONLY processed by the liver!!
Dietitians are now sayings to limit juice especially without the pulp as it has fiber. Supposedly drinking alot of juice can spike blood sugar and cause weight gain.
Message delivered!

Yeah I get that, and used to think the same thing. Then one day I found out I was type-1 diabetic and decided that diet soda was better for me to drink than the regular versions. After drinking mostly diet for several years now, whenever I try a "normal" one made with corn syrup, that's the one that tastes weird. Of course now that I think about it, diet still tastes kind of weird, but I guess I've gotten used to it, although I will say that I think Coke Zero Sugar has come pretty close to having a "non-diet" taste.

The Sodas made with real sugar still taste good to me (like Mexican Coke and throwback Mountain Dew). Those would my favorite choice if I wasn't diabetic and if they were more readily available.

Speaking of the Diet Dew, it's baffled me for years how the 2nd ingredient is orange juice, but somehow the end product still has zero carbohydrates. From what I know, orange juice is one of the highest carbed things that there is. I guess they must have found a grove of sugar free oranges or something. :unsure:

My wife is also a type 1 diabetic. Many people only associate diabetes with being fat, not knowing what type 1 is and can't believe she's a diabetic being tall and skinny. On the type 2 side, there are skinny type 2 diabetics, too.

As such she got me hooked on diet soda years ago. Diet Coke and Diet Sunkist Orange are the two sodas we usually have around.

The Diet Coke in a silver can that's been around forever is actually an artificially sweetened version of the New Coke that come out in the early 80's and was a public relations & media nightmare for Coca Cola. Diet Coke is the 3rd most popular soda in the USA because of its taste in my opinion. Not to make this political, Trump supposedly drinks lots of it and Bill Clinton was known to drink it.

At the moment in our fridge, we have Minute Maid Low pulp OJ. That is her go to when her blood sugar is low. Sometimes she will eat a bowel of cereal to get her blood sugar up and keep it there if she's going to burn calories doing yard work.

She is on Lantus and Humalog. Before she eats, she carb counts the meal and takes Humalog XX minutes before eating.

Out of curiosity, I have pricked my finger several times over the years and checked my blood sugar. 106 is the highest mine has ever been even after eating. She wears a Dexcom CGM now which she doesn't like because it loses its signal to her iPhone several times a day. And Dexcom is aware of it stating something about it's still in testing with iOS blah blah.

Back