DIY chocolate

Why you ask? If you make it you know what's in it.You have full control over carb content. Cacao is preferred, cocoa is okay, the not processed with alkali kind is better. Some cacao may be substituted for carob for a milder flavor, since cacao is rather bitter. The other ingredients are maple syrup (may be substituted partially or altogether with 0 carb monk fruit sweetener), nut butter, coconut oil (maybe substituted with cacao butter for chocolate that will not get too soft at room temperature. Salt and vanilla are optional. You can add nuts, chia seeds, dried berries, puffed rice etc to your chocolate.

I do make my own chocolate bar with nuts and some puffed rice. The bar weighs 2.25 oz. I make bars at a time in a silicone mold I bought on amazon.com. Each bar has 87kcal and 20g carbs plus whatever the nuts and puffed rice add to it. If I were to make the bar with monk fruit sweetener instead of maple syrup there would be 35kcal and 7g of carbs without nuts and puffed rice. Not excessive by any means. Also consider this is a very filling food due to its high fat content.

How does it taste? I wouldn't keep making my own chocolate if I didn't like it. The great thing is you can modify the ingredients to your liking. Want milk chocolate? Substitute some of the cacao/cocoa with powdered milk or use more cashew butter if you don't like dairy. You can make the product without any sweetener, or you can make it as sweet as you like it. Cacao is very nutrients dense with lots of beneficial phytochemicals. Cacao can help maintain and even lower blood pressure, prevent blood clots, and it improves brain function. That's why dark chocolate is recommended by nutritionists. Cacao even stimulates the release of dopamine. You probably know how much many women love chocolate. At the office I got them eating practically out of my hands! :sneaky:

Dark chocolate, almonds, hazelnuts, puffed rice

Last edited:
Dark chocolate is my FAVORITE. :love::love::love:
cvjctg2rdux41.jpg

If anybody wants to try making their own chocolate I better give you the basic recipe including the quantities. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. You need to mix everything very well or some of the coconut oil may separate from the mix which is cosmetically unpleasing. If you have this problem after your first attempt, you may want to add half a tablespoon inulin powder to your concoction. It may help keep it all together. Inulin is a fiber made from primarily chicory root. Inulin is a prebiotic and is okay to use.

1.25 cups cocoa/cacao or 1 cup cocoa/cacao plus 0.25 cup carob for a milder flavor
pinch salt
vanilla flavor (real vanilla or powdered real vanilla or vanilla paste okay). I wing the amount.

warm up the following ingredients because you want the mixture to be soft enough to get in the mold:
0.5 cup maple syrup
0.25 cups nut butter (cashew is the most neutral in terms of flavor - I like almond and hazelnut butter)
0.5 cup coconut oil (must be in liquid state)

Add whatever you like nuts, seeds, berries, puffed rice etc.

Once you have filled the mold, cover with a silicone baking sheet or similar to prevent sticking, and put the mold in the freezer for an hour. You do want to cover it because you don't want to get a funky freezer taste. After unmolding the chocolate you can just keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. You can get all kinds of molds, including the typical chocolate bar molds, peanut butter cup molds, semi-spherical molds etc.

they look good + i like the less sweet dark chocolates, + buy organic 70% caco bars, + have about an ounce daily with my RAW milk + coffee afterwards!!

Back